HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 12 Jan 13, 08:07
Major
Germany

rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100]
HASL: Festung Budapest

Here are some photos + description from a "Festung Budapest" game we recently had.

It is an awesome modul for ASL, which depicts the struggle for Buda in January/February 1945.

FB Scenario 4 "HKL 259"

Buda, Hungary, 24 January 1945. It is a wet dawn and Hauptstfr. Meyer inspects his hastly build defense line at the Kis-Svábhegy, a hill which dominates Buda. The garrison is now besieged for a month and supplies and ammunition slowly run out. Rumours are spread that a relief attempt is only 30 km away, in the night you can here the fighting between the Soviets and the relief force. Hopes are running high. Meyer shares one of his last Russian cigarettes with the crew of his MG42/Tripod, when a lookout reports movement on the hill....

Meanwhile Colonel Josif Burik of the 320th Rifle Division has prepared and instructed his assault teams, he puts away his map, butts out his cigarette and gives the signal for the attack...

Soviet assault teams swarm over the Kis-Svábhegy to force their way into Buda. The defenders of the SS-Kavallerie Regiment 16 prepare for the onslought. Some Hungarian stragglers are surprised by the sudden attack and try to force their way back to the German lines through a hail of bullets. The German MMG in centres fires as fast as it can and takes its toll, However the shortage of ammunation will soon silence it...

Scharfr. Karlsmann, responsible for the right wing of the defense line, rushes trough his trench to range in his LMG on a Soviet MG Team in a small house about 60 metres away. A Siberian marksman takes him out immediatly. He is severly wounded and dies moments later. His shocked squad covers and wavers...

Meanwhile, Col. Burik has recognized the strong centre of German position and leads personally an outflanking maneuver, but is spotted by a German marksman and wounded. However, he stays on the field and presses on the attack.

The left angle of the German line was outflanked and the defenders are streaming downhill while a Scharfr. tries to establish a new defense line. The centre still holds its position, but with the outflanking maneuver, the position becomes unsustainable...

The battle was now at its peak and tensions were running high. Suddenly, like out of nowhere, a huge force appeared, called the girlfriend and forced a ceasefire on the two struggling parties...

"Kerls, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?"
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Jan 13, 11:45
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Very cool. I got rid of my HASL stuff because I don't have the space or time. Used the money to finance a game buying binge. Going to hook up for an ASL game next Friday I think.
Old 12 Jan 13, 13:23
Major
Germany

rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Very cool. I got rid of my HASL stuff because I don't have the space or time. Used the money to finance a game buying binge. Going to hook up for an ASL game next Friday I think.
Thank you sir A started to play ASL not long ago and FB is my first historical module and I think its far more intense than the normal geomorphic maps and full of historical facts, anecdotes. I will not play anything else in the near future!

Old 14 Jan 13, 20:29
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300]
I actually playtested that scenario many years ago. It was fun. I haven't played anything else from FB.

I'm actually getting ready to play a 3rd party HASL on the battle of Cholm.

http://www.lefranctireur.org/spip.php?article84
Old 15 Jan 13, 03:07
Major
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianE View Post
I actually playtested that scenario many years ago. It was fun. I haven't played anything else from FB.

I'm actually getting ready to play a 3rd party HASL on the battle of Cholm.

http://www.lefranctireur.org/spip.php?article84
Shield of Cholm is said to be very complicated, can you confirm this?

Old 15 Jan 13, 15:37
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300] AdrianE is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogg View Post
Shield of Cholm is said to be very complicated, can you confirm this?
Yes and no. There are a lot of extra chrome rules and air support on both sides but in the end it is an infantry slugfest. It is nowhere near as complicated as the scenario Bloody Red Beach (caves, Japanese, Marines, amphibious assault).

I've played a few scenarios and found them fun. Maybe not the most balanced but fun.
Old 15 Jan 13, 16:51
Major
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianE View Post
Yes and no. There are a lot of extra chrome rules and air support on both sides but in the end it is an infantry slugfest. It is nowhere near as complicated as the scenario Bloody Red Beach (caves, Japanese, Marines, amphibious assault).

I've played a few scenarios and found them fun. Maybe not the most balanced but fun.
Is Beyond Valor sufficient to play it?

Old 15 Jan 13, 19:49
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogg View Post
Is Beyond Valor sufficient to play it?
You need chapter E air support rules so no. Yanks has chapter E. BV version 2 or 3 would have chapter E though.

Other than that BV is fine as far as counters go.
Old 21 Jan 13, 00:58
First Sergeant
United_States

Hypaspist is on the path to success [1-99] Hypaspist is on the path to success [1-99]
Cool stuff! I'm still waiting to play my Valor of the Guards HASL, but no time.
Old 21 Jan 13, 06:27
Major
Germany

Second Attack:

Col Burik renews his attack, this time with the bulk of his forces at the left flank, which seems to knock out the German defensive line

However, the attack slows down and the Germans managed to establish a knew line of defense. Vicious Hand-to-Hand fighting for every house...

Despite their brave conduct, the line falls and the defenders are slowly reduced... A Soviet attack detachment on the right is stopped by desperated Hungarian Gensdarmes

Sponsored Links

Old 21 Jan 13, 06:32
Major
Germany

Finally, the way is open and Col Burik leads his men down the hill into cenral Buda...

Old 04 Feb 13, 15:00
Lance Corporal
United_States

generalmaineiac is on the path to success [1-99]
Playing some of the scenarios from the Kreta HASL at the moment.... I've played a few from Festung Budapest, as well. Great module.
Old 12 Feb 13, 12:17
Major
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalmaineiac View Post
Playing some of the scenarios from the Kreta HASL at the moment.... I've played a few from Festung Budapest, as well. Great module.
Is this the one from Heat of Battle?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!