HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 03 Feb 13, 04:21
Colonel
Scotland
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
I love the British parliament, they cram all the politicians together real tight to test if they are true brits: can they refrain from fist fighting when debating so close to each others face?

In South Korea there is a lot more space to breathe but every session ends in a taekwondo match!
Westminster is a great example of democracy in action. Lots of direct challenge and thorough debate with a good dose of outright fury.

If you are not either brilliant or funny you will struggle to be a politician in the UK as the trial by Westminster is so tough.
Old 03 Feb 13, 07:06
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
thats nightmares for me tonight,
Oh I'm sure Wallace... Err Milliband.... will be the greatest Labour politician ever, inline with Churchill and St Margaret. Fully able to control Red Ed Balls, the Fiscal Guru, and keep the Unions in line.

(I'm going to hell for lying, aint I?)

Quote:
[...]to my mind, we are an island nation, stands to reason a strong navy should be obvious, yet navy being stripped to the bone, were supposed to be getting 12 T45s only ended up getting 6, etc, plus wave after wave of other cuts.
At least the Tories are showing signs of realising what all that big blue wet stuff is on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
One side of the house is supposed to be wider than two swords lengths for the reasons you referred to...
But the indvidual Seat's aren't one knife thrust to the back apart though are they....

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 03 Feb 13, 08:12
Major General
UK

flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscottmorri View Post
Westminster is a great example of democracy in action. Lots of direct challenge and thorough debate with a good dose of outright fury.

If you are not either brilliant or funny you will struggle to be a politician in the UK as the trial by Westminster is so tough.
How so?The place is teeming with brilliantly unfunny buffoons!
Old 03 Feb 13, 08:17
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
To have a fair democratic system, to do away with the harsher trials, to level the playing field and do away with the difficult odds, is to reduce the setting of the game from hard to easy - and playing on easy mode never made anyone better at the game.
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Old 04 Feb 13, 11:31
Colonel
Scotland
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
How so?The place is teeming with brilliantly unfunny buffoons!
Oh yes, the joint has plenty of lobby fodder placemen, but there are enough great perfomers like Hague to show it place at its best.

I saw Robin Cook slaughter his opposite number there years ago. Brilliant intellectual display with plenty of venom. Good politics.

Modern parliaments like Brussels and Edinburgh lack the savage touch imho.

Old 05 Feb 13, 15:13
Major General
UK

flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200] flash is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Oh yes, the joint has plenty of lobby fodder placemen, but there are enough great perfomers like Hague to show it place at its best.

I saw Robin Cook slaughter his opposite number there years ago. Brilliant intellectual display with plenty of venom. Good politics.

Modern parliaments like Brussels and Edinburgh lack the savage touch imho.
Yes Cook was a good debator but he never actually achieved much/anything.Didn't he help pave the way for devolution in Scotland which is naturally good for you.Also have a hand in the yooman rites act?Bad for everybody except one armed lesbian sub-saharan jihadist slugs?
At least he had the decency to resign over the Iraq war lie!
Don't know much about Hague,he strikes me as just another "Out of the box" Tory. I might be wrong of course.
Old 05 Feb 13, 15:20
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Don't know much about Hague,he strikes me as just another "Out of the box" Tory. I might be wrong of course.
He's supposed to be the intellectual dynamo of the front bench, I've heard, the one who actually knows what's going on.
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Old 05 Feb 13, 18:58
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
What was the opton to the coalition?

Gordon Brown still at the helm (line 1 of who gets what if you lot get independence, you get him!, elect him to high office and youre doomed but keep him, please), with liberal side kicks, doesnt bare thinking about.

Only other option was a re-run of the election which none of the three could financially afford at the time and may have ended up giving exactly the same result.

I am starting to have doubts the coalition will make 5 years, only minor ones, but the cracks are deffo growing, maybe they will last but its not a wager id be confident of.

Personally I like Dave, and would love him to get a second term, his next door neighbour though needs shifting, George simply is not up to it imho, he has made enough mistakes that if you or I made that many in our work we would be long gone by now.

Shame they cant clone the Foreign secretary.

Personally, id have Vincey wincey in there.
Old 05 Feb 13, 21:00
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Personally, id have Vincey wincey in there.
Have you not seen some of his comments over the last couple of years? He started off doing good, then he had a rush of importance to the head and started ranting about how he'd have done stuff. And frankly I was jsut glad he wasn't in a position to do that sort of thing as he's driven by ideology.

Obviously someone gave him a slap and told him to shut up as he's calmed down allot now.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 06 Feb 13, 02:00
UK

Quote:
Ofcourse you are right, the polls at the moment certainly indicate that result.
Well it looks like Good ol' Labour can't help but shoot its self in the foot. There's a few rumours running around (about the only link I can find to it is The Mirror, so I won't be linking), that the Unions are unhappy with Millibands performance and are getting ready to flood the party with their minions to sabotage him.
Now considering the current Milliband is their choice this is amusing. May they derail Labour utterly please! their actions have two years to work.

I can just see Balls Grinning over his whetstone working on a Knife.
That'd be nice, Having Ed Balls in charge.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 06 Feb 13, 04:29
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Well it looks like Good ol' Labour can't help but shoot its self in the foot. There's a few rumours running around (about the only link I can find to it is The Mirror, so I won't be linking), that the Unions are unhappy with Millibands performance and are getting ready to flood the party with their minions to sabotage him.
Now considering the current Milliband is their choice this is amusing. May they derail Labour utterly please! their actions have two years to work.

I can just see Balls Grinning over his whetstone working on a Knife.
That'd be nice, Having Ed Balls in charge.
I agree however this vote on gay marriage that Cameron let loose may have more of an effect than he realises. Its obviously polarised the party and Ithink this one could have waited as the country at large whilst supportive weren't going to crap the bed over it. I think most thought there were more pressing issues...
Old 06 Feb 13, 05:02
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300]
On the successful vote for Gay Marriage, Dave announced
"Tuesday's vote had been "an important step forward"

What a moron, an important step forward to what?!
Making it compulsory?
Old 07 Feb 13, 08:16
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
I agree however this vote on gay marriage that Cameron let loose may have more of an effect than he realises.
Honestly I suspect 90% of the population couldn't give a flying whatsit over the subject. And people who start getting arrsey within the party are liable to have utterly misread the population. And thus have the chance to look like total tools to the voters.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 07 Feb 13, 08:20
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Honestly I suspect 90% of the population couldn't give a flying whatsit over the subject. And people who start getting arrsey within the party are liable to have utterly misread the population. And thus have the chance to look like total tools to the voters.
You're probably right...
Old 07 Feb 13, 10:05
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400]
Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400]
It was only days after the Cameron made his europe speech which was supposed to unite his party, the press was full of plots by his backbenchers to get rid of him, one Tory MP was even named as a stalking horse. Then over Gay marriage Tory MPs were publicly blaming him over the issue. If his own MPs can not stand him it is no surprise that the rest of the country is not to keen on him either. To the average working man he looks like a 'Posh Boy' (to use the qoute of the Tory MP for Central Bedfordshire), who has no idea what it is like to see your wages go down in real terms year after year.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!