HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 04 Feb 13, 04:59
Brigadier General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
You'll usually be surprised anyway, most missions have bad guys "reinforcements", but yeah, the game isn't very realistic in the sense that it demands absolute speed over security. Just imagine that unless you constantly rush ahead they'll execute the hostages or blow up the bomb or whatever...
Yeah, on the one hand with SWAT 4, you can go at the pace of a snail and nothing will happen unless there's a bomb or something. Then The Regiment is at the other extreme where if you don't do it in under a ridiculous time it's not perfect.

Quote:
There's also the pre-Alpha briefing so far....
Oh thanks, never noticed that. Not much to go by but the graphics seem good. Animations are a little stiff looking but game's still WIP of course.

Quote:
Are you implying what I think you are...?
After my finals maybe we could give it a go...
Oh yeah, sure. I gave Nokturnal the latest version to test a month or so back but it should be good to go.
Old 07 Feb 13, 08:24
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Here's a question not directly related to the game, but to the story behind it.

I assume the game is at least semi-historical (with the Iranian embassy and all, I also remember reading about a similar sounding "farm house" in one of Andy Mcnab's books). Sometimes the terrorists will yell "We're on the same side!".

Now, I assume the terrorists portrayed are the IRA (because I can't think of a different group that fits the description) am I wrong? Could it be another group?
Also, what does that suppose to signify? Does the SAS have (had) a unit that recruited from Ireland and operate mainly there? i.e what seemingly converging interest could the IRA and the government (via the SAS) have?

*Cue to Mackie* :P
Old 07 Feb 13, 16:40
Brigadier General
Scotland

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Here's a question not directly related to the game, but to the story behind it.

I assume the game is at least semi-historical (with the Iranian embassy and all, I also remember reading about a similar sounding "farm house" in one of Andy Mcnab's books). Sometimes the terrorists will yell "We're on the same side!".
Yeah, you're right with the Iranian Embassy and there was probably something similar to the farm one in the decades long 'troubles' in NI.

Obviously the tube and parliament thing never happened but they are inspired from current trends (rise of Islamic terrorism and growth of far right groups).

Quote:
Now, I assume the terrorists portrayed are the IRA (because I can't think of a different group that fits the description) am I wrong? Could it be another group?
Also, what does that suppose to signify? Does the SAS have (had) a unit that recruited from Ireland and operate mainly there? i.e what seemingly converging interest could the IRA and the government (via the SAS) have?
They are IRA, well, some off shoot of the IRA and there are many of those. The one mentioned in the game is the Republican Reaction Front which is fictional but mirrors the fragmentation of the republican movement in Northern Ireland. Basically, when it comes to NI and the term republican then they're talking about the IRA or other nationalist groups.

I haven't encountered it yet and I'm not really sure what it's supposed to signify. 'The Troubles' is a very messy subject but it might be referring to informants. I'm no expert but I'm sure it wasn't uncommon for members of the IRA/PIRA/RIRA and so on to pass information to the security forces for money or some other motivation.

Of course, since the SAS are SF types there's not much detailed information on them but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they didn't have an Irish only squadron although any person from Northern Ireland in the British Army can go for selection into the SAS. They are very most likely to be loyalists though. There are of course "Irish units" in the British Army and during 'The Troubles' the Ulster Defence Regiment was raised with several battalions, mostly reserve. Initially, this unit was supposed to be mixed Catholic and Protestant but that failed and the unit was pretty much all protestant.*

Interestingly, though, it is legal for people from the Republic of Ireland to join the British Army and, IIRC, around 300 do so today (or was that South Africans? Can't remember off hand). Anybody from the RoI is unlikely to be nationalist or they wouldn't have joined in the first place.

*Generally speaking the divide in Northern Ireland is cut along religious lines, generally speaking. If you're Catholic you're probably a nationalist and if you're Protestant you're probably a loyalist.

Confused yet? There's a documentary on YouTube I can link to on the history of 'The Troubles' if you're interested.

Quote:
*Cue to Mackie* :P
I hope I explained it well but trying to wrap your head around 'The Troubles' isn't easy.
Old 08 Feb 13, 05:08
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Always helpful, even if we didn't get the answer

They are defiantly not informers as they'll yell it while shooting at you. I guess we'd have to wait for you to encounter it yourself

A documentary can be good also
Old 09 Feb 13, 20:06
Sergeant
Germany

mpitsch is on the path to success [1-99] mpitsch is on the path to success [1-99] mpitsch is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
Looks like SWAT 4, pity you didn't get to punch anyone in the face in that game, but you could pepper spray or taser them.
With the Stetchkov Syndicate expansion you were able to punch people.

I've heard about The Regiment some months ago and saw the same video. Reminded me of the old Rainbow Six games and, of course, SWAT. Ahhh, I miss the good old coop days....
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Feb 13, 13:02
Brigadier General
Scotland

Quote:
Always helpful, even if we didn't get the answer

They are defiantly not informers as they'll yell it while shooting at you. I guess we'd have to wait for you to encounter it yourself

A documentary can be good also
It could also be a good old fashioned bug. Did you patch?

This is the documentary. It's from the point of view of the British troops so you won't get an in-depth look at the history of it. It does go over things chronologically so you'll get a relatively balanced overview but as you can tell from the comments the hardcore types will never be satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitsch View Post
With the Stetchkov Syndicate expansion you were able to punch people.
Yeah, you're right, forgot about that!
Old 13 Feb 13, 13:12
General of the Forums
Israel

I don't think that's a bug. They say some other stuff that's meant at "bonding"....can't remember them now....

Thanks for the video, added to my watch list
Old 20 Feb 13, 15:01
General
Romania
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Imperial has a spectacular aura about [400]
Imperial has a spectacular aura about [400] Imperial has a spectacular aura about [400] Imperial has a spectacular aura about [400]
The youtube vid in the original post seems to show very poor AI. I mean I remember when I was playing SWAT 3 things didn't go as smooth as that. The bad guys were shooting back with a vengeance. In this vid the bad guys seem unable to hit the side of a barn.
Old 20 Feb 13, 15:11
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Even if "old" in some cases, it looks really cool and the shouts and commands and such made it intense!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!