HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Basic Training

Notices and Announcements

Basic Training This area is for forum announcements, testing, technical requests, or site feedback.

Old 01 Feb 13, 10:32
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Along with clearing out all the temp files. IIRC there are two or there separate folders in XP that need to be cleaned individually and don't trust windows to do it for you regardless of you settings.

Your hard drive or one of it's components could also be dying.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 01 Feb 13, 10:42
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
No offense taken, simply reporting what I know by technical means & indications at the time & currently.

I've never had any luck 'transferring' anything by AutoDesk (AutoCad, Lite or otherwise) there are always issues along the way the few times I've tried. But I have the full Cad, with revit, Architectural & Engineering by license, so I simply just reinstall. Couuld be that 04 Lite is no longer supported & they recognize a new computer. Good Luck, Mate!

Wes

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 01 Feb 13, 10:56
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
99 out of 100 times when you have a virus, you have it because you clicked "yes" or "ok" when you shouldn't.

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Old 02 Feb 13, 02:20
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
I clean all my cookies and temp files after I go offline. Now tonight things is way better. Why? Who knows? Maybe cause it knows the rotten day I've had.
Old 03 Feb 13, 10:11
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thanks for all Help - Everyone.

I was clearing out ALL of my Cookies during the last two days - and all Old .Txt Files ( ones not created by me ).
I cleared out 12 Gigabytes of "rubbish" during the last week - Honestly.

I think I FOUND the Bugger - an "Install Adobe Flash Player" File in my Temp Folder, under my Docs & Settings.
Got rid of that one - damn fast.

I am hoping that I am gonna be alright now.
I have had no more troubles coming on this Site, since switching to Firefox - but getting all of my Bookmarks Imported and then sorted out, was about 6 hours work.
Of course - Firefox is quicker and better, anyway.
All Done now - and loads more space on my C: Drive - 4 Gig on Saturday - 16 Gig now.
Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Feb 13, 00:08
General of the Forums
United_States

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
I just took off a gob of stuff. 1.65 GB. But. Do I remove this Perflib Perflibdata crap? All of them are .dat files, and all are 16 MB or GB I ain't sure-don't remember. But I got over 50 of them.
Old 04 Feb 13, 23:49
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Get rid of it, Reb, you don't need that stuff. Some of the perflib data files will stay as WinX will keep ahold of them. Do you use CCleaner at all? It's a simple and easy way to do a quick cleanup and best of all it's free (unless you want all the highend options). Just go to piriform.com and download from their site. Run the basic cleaning option with the defaults and you'll be ok. Do it every couple of days; be careful if you like to save your logon cookies/credentials, it will clear them out.
It also has a nice little registry checking tool which I've had work well for me. Basically, if it comes up with a bunch of issues, you can use it to repair your registry if absolutely required. I say absolutely because most of the time, I never run that portion of it as fiddling with the registry is very dangerous. But it's good, now and then, to just see if the registry has unusual problems. You can run it just to see the problems and never use it to fix them.
And download the free version of Malwarebytes (which is worth paying for as well) and run it once a week if you do moderate surfing.
Old 05 Feb 13, 08:57
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Heh, heh. You haven't lived until you've gotten into your registry.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 05 Feb 13, 08:59
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100] Karakris has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer400 View Post
Get rid of it, Reb, you don't need that stuff. Some of the perflib data files will stay as WinX will keep ahold of them. Do you use CCleaner at all? It's a simple and easy way to do a quick cleanup and best of all it's free (unless you want all the highend options). Just go to piriform.com and download from their site. Run the basic cleaning option with the defaults and you'll be ok. Do it every couple of days; be careful if you like to save your logon cookies/credentials, it will clear them out.
It also has a nice little registry checking tool which I've had work well for me. Basically, if it comes up with a bunch of issues, you can use it to repair your registry if absolutely required. I say absolutely because most of the time, I never run that portion of it as fiddling with the registry is very dangerous. But it's good, now and then, to just see if the registry has unusual problems. You can run it just to see the problems and never use it to fix them.
And download the free version of Malwarebytes (which is worth paying for as well) and run it once a week if you do moderate surfing.
AYE - I blew away nearly all of the perflib Files - but Windows will not let your get rid of the most recent one/ones - it will stop that.
Also - do a search for .txt files - I cleared out at least 9 Gig of them - nearly all in Temp Directories. If you get a warning - then of course leave that File alone.
Sorry to say, but modern Software is just dowright filthy - like leaving the Kitchen without doing any wahsing up or emptying Bins for years and years. Part of the total "ineligence" of modern Software - we have to do all of the cleaning up after them, ourselves.
The whole lack of any concern for wasted Disc Space and wasted Memory, these days.

When I learned Computer Programming in the late 1980's - Computer Memory was increadibly small and restricted, and Disc Space tiny ( on Floppies ) and at an absolute premium. We HAD to write Program which used a MINIMUM of Memory, for what they needed to do - sometimes actually "swapping" operating portions of the Program in and out of the tiny areas of Memory. We could not waste ANY space on the Floppy Discs -
For instance, any Database Program which added a New Entry into the middle of a Sequence, had to Read then Write each successive Block of the Sequence, after the New Entry - to ensure that the whole of the Entries was in correct Sequence, it could not move more than one or two blocks at a time.

Nowadays - Software Writers behave as if all Memory is totally Unlimitied, and there is NO limit to the amount of Disc Space we can have, and of course their "dirty" Software ( I think of it as filthy ) NEVER cleans up after itself - like having a house full of Pets who were never "housetrained".
However - Memory is NOT Unlimited - it always COSTS MONEY. Hard Discs Space is also NOT Unlimited - it also COSTS MONEY - and if it a C: Drive which gets overcrowded - then it can be expensive to have the whole thing Migrated to a new, bigger Hard Disc.

We are not all Made of Money - but then, like all things these days, nothing is built to last.
Those of us who have to save up to buy the Technologies considered necessary in the "modern home" - have to keep saving up all over again, to buy Replacements for things which fail, or which are deliberately made obsolete and thus virtually unusable by the Electrical / Electronics Industry. Things like Televisions, Video Recorders, Record Players / Hi Fis, Mobile Phones, Microwave Ovens, Washing Machines, the list is almost endless.
SOME People have taken Decades of their Working Lives to get their Homes ( and themselves ) equipped with all of the "necessary" Devices and Equipment - and then they have to start all over again.
Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation
Old 05 Feb 13, 13:42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100] boomer400 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Ahhh, the good ol' days of swapping 8" floppys; I remember when we went from a single drive slot to a magazine on the good old S/36. That was a lot of fun watching the unit look for the right floppy! And, of course, looking at the programs for how to utilize the 'virtual memory' properly now that we could do that. And then we went to the AS400 and who gave a toots worth about floppy drives; we had 48 bit CISC and 400MB 9332s (those horrible things, they broke constantly, taking the box down in the middle of the day and I'd have to reload and hope the system managed to crash gracefully; worse was when they blew at 4 AM, ughh, I get dizzy thinking about loading tapes and tapes and tapes to restore....)

Thanks for reminding me, K!
Old 05 Feb 13, 23:23
General of the Forums
United_States

Thanks guys, will do.
Old 07 Feb 13, 01:05
General
Armchair_General

Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300]
Malwarebytes is a good program to find the sneaky malware on your computer - I recommend it for any Windows computer.
Have a look at majorgeeks.com for other programs to help keep your computer running smoothly.
Old 21 Feb 13, 15:08
General of the Forums
United_States

Well the old man learned something today.

My cousin's son Daniel came over and he's tinkered with my wife's laptop. (Haven't got my keyboard yet.)
He said there has to be a reason for the issues the laptop is having, even if it is almost 15 years old.
He downloaded a registry cleaner and malware scan, which was clean, then he downloaded spybot.
I must say, so far so good. The registry cleaner removed 4,169 critical errors, and also repaired a few. Spybot is running now.
Del and I have learned something new today, just call us Ben Franklin, or call him that.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!