HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Military Reenactments

Notices and Announcements

Military Reenactments Reenactors help to preserve our heritage by recreating and sharing the past.

Old 30 Jan 13, 17:15
First Lieutenant
UK

queensman is on the path to success [1-99] queensman is on the path to success [1-99] queensman is on the path to success [1-99] queensman is on the path to success [1-99] queensman is on the path to success [1-99] queensman is on the path to success [1-99]
I can understand preserving a bit of history but some people are taking it too far. I have met some re-enactors and to a man they all came across as guys trying to be soldiers because they couldn't get into the Army or could not hack it.
One guy even pretended to be ex para regt and sas at the age of 23, what a walt.
By all means do some for historical purposes but living it and making it your lifestyle, well thats a bit sad

... .... .. -
Old 02 Feb 13, 00:25
Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200]
For sheer Heroic Goofiness I have to admire this guy, The Astronaut Reenactor. Seriously, who wouldn't love to have their own spacecraft in their garage?

http://mercurycapsule.blogspot.com.au/

The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

Last edited by Chukka; 02 Feb 13 at 00:31..
Old 06 Feb 13, 09:07
Private
United_States

A.Leroux is on the path to success [1-99]
Reanactment is awesome. Keep up with it before it's gone, carry down the stories to the next generations.
Old 07 Feb 13, 13:21
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor Distinguished Service Award 
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I wish that I lived in an area where I could see some. I would be very interested if they included historical discussions and background to what they are doing.
Old 07 Feb 13, 15:29
First Lieutenant
Canada

Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100] Marmat has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Remember Lads ...

... it's only PRETEND warfare!

Old 07 Feb 13, 16:54
Banned
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I wish that I lived in an area where I could see some. I would be very interested if they included historical discussions and background to what they are doing.
Nope... they spend most of their time asking each other...

"Does my arse look big in this?"

Old 16 Feb 13, 19:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500]
Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500] Arnold J Rimmer is a jewel in the rough [500]
Confederate reenacters get kind of the same look in the USA.

I would have liked to try a (US) Civil War enacting-there's quite a few groups here in Texas. Interestingly, a lot of the guys have both Union and CSA uniforms so balanced forces can be formed. The groups I've seen are very serious about it-not just the uniforms and gear, but also the skills involved, such as unit drill, reloading drill, marching, the whole nine yards.

Several historic forts here in Texas require the staff to be in period (and accurate) costume, includeing weapons. So technically there are 'professional' reenactors!
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 17 Feb 13, 02:22
Banned
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

I read a book on holiday last year called 'Confederates in the Attic' it was informative and very funny.
Old 18 Feb 13, 08:30
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
I'm not a reenactor, but I think this is appropriate:

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana

Last edited by semperpietas; 18 Feb 13 at 08:41..
Old 18 Feb 13, 09:21
Brigadier General
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400]
nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post

What is that? Fat-ass Hermann Göring division?

Косово је Србија!
Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Feb 13, 05:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nothing against very large people per se; I personally know quite a few including a couple in my larger family. Aside from their obesity - which, if it's going to be a real problem is theirs, not mine - all the ones I know seem to be quite fine people.

That said, to my eyes a very obese person dressed up in re-enactment mode as a WW2 frontline combat soldier and possibly expecting to be taken 'seriously' is - how can I put it diplomatically - very difficult to take seriously? Not that taking historical re-enactors seriously is always an easy ask anyway; although I do have respect for those who take the trouble to properly research their subject matter and strive to achieve some sort of educational benefit along with the fun.

Hope I was able to get that across without offending anyone.

Last edited by panther3485; 19 Feb 13 at 05:09..
Old 19 Feb 13, 07:14
Major
UK

Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ensign Elliott has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
That said, to my eyes a very obese person dressed up in re-enactment mode as a WW2 frontline combat soldier and possibly expecting to be taken 'seriously' is - how can I put it diplomatically - very difficult to take seriously?
Completely agree
Old 21 Feb 13, 06:40
Major
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99] Johnny_BoomBoom is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Nothing against very large people per se; I personally know quite a few including a couple in my larger family. Aside from their obesity - which, if it's going to be a real problem is theirs, not mine - all the ones I know seem to be quite fine people.

That said, to my eyes a very obese person dressed up in re-enactment mode as a WW2 frontline combat soldier and possibly expecting to be taken 'seriously' is - how can I put it diplomatically - very difficult to take seriously? Not that taking historical re-enactors seriously is always an easy ask anyway; although I do have respect for those who take the trouble to properly research their subject matter and strive to achieve some sort of educational benefit along with the fun.

Hope I was able to get that across without offending anyone.

Yup - agreed and well said!! We have a closed FB forum for our group, and one of our group members posted a picture of someone, dressed in a milary uniform who was about the size of the Herman Goring impersonator already seen in this thread........the caption on the picture stated "Re-enactment......a hobby that allows fat people to dress as soldiers"

Sadly it is true.....and no matter how I try, and the research I've done into my impression to get period articles or repros right frm an authenticity perspective.......clearly someone who is 6 feet tall and 210lbs will never quite look right for a 1944, Panzer Lehr Grenadier......who is low on rest, low on food and low on hope.....

I just look too damned well fed and rested!! But Europeans are generally bigger now overall than they were 70 years ago -so I do my best!!!
Old 22 Feb 13, 22:08
Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200] Chukka is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
I read a book on holiday last year called 'Confederates in the Attic' it was informative and very funny.
There are a couple of interesting articles on written about the book including a very intelligent and well thought out reply to the book written by Rob Hodge, the Hardcore reenactor who served as sometime guide and intepreter to Tony Horowitz as he journeyed through the South on the civil war trail. His humor and passion for his hobby put him at the better end of the reenacting spectrum.

http://wesclark.com/jw/hodge.html

http://wesclark.com/jw/hodge3.html

The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why - Mark Twain
Old 23 Mar 13, 00:07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100] Shoeless has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I am of two minds on reenactments/ors.

For a short while, I toyed with the idea of getting into Civil War reenactment. American history has been one of my obsessions since I was a small boy, and it seems like a natural extension thereof.

However, I have never served in the military. I do not feel comfortable dressing up in the uniform of a serviceman (no matter if it's from 150 years ago) and playing soldier. I'm not a soldier, and there is something that seems disrespectful about it.

That said, there are reenactors who are masters of their craft and use their skills to promote historical interpretation. I believe this is a positive. I know the "if just one child..." argument is disparaged by some bloggers and whatnot, but honestly, if watching a reenactment or hokey film creates a future scholar or just someone who cares about their own past, then yes...it is worth it.

tl;dr version: I see the value of reenactments, although I would never personally play soldier.

However, I do dig interpretation of lifestyles of historical eras. I'm currently working on an 18th century trans-Allegheny longhunter's outfit.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!