HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 08 Dec 12, 18:24
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Actually, you were supposed to have two, three or four Combined Arms Battalions. The problem was the Regulars told the Guard they had to use the two CAB formation and had to delete excess units! Now they are going back to three such CAB's will the Guard be allowed to raise new units? Not likely!

The Regulars will delete brigades to get that three CAB Brigade. Many of the old Guard Brigades like the Louisiana 256th Infantry Brigade is now Light Infantry! If they will let them raise a third LI Battalion and add some trucks for transport, I can live with it...

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 08 Dec 12, 20:56
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500]
johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500] johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500] johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500] johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500] johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500] johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500] johns624 is a jewel in the rough [500]
It's about time that they made combined arms battalions permanent units.
Old 09 Dec 12, 04:39
Private
United_States

berlin88 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns624 View Post
It's about time that they made combined arms battalions permanent units.
Previously, the Army was against a fulltime combined arms battalion, as they wanted to keep the Infantry and armor seperate. The Army wanted to be able to swap Infantry Battalions between the various brigades, so that meant keeping the infantry battalions intact. You can't take the HBCT Infatry battalion and put it in the IBCT if its half tank units.

For a time, the Army also wanted to be able to convert brigades from one type to another, such as IBCT to HBCT or HBCT to Stryker. They have done this on several occasions.

When converting to a 3 battalion armored brigade combat team, it was either the old format of 2x1 or 1x2, or a permanent combined arms battalions. The later thankfully won out, otherwise it would have been a brigade with more tanks than infantry or more infantry than tanks.
Old 09 Dec 12, 22:34
Private First Class
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

shrike6 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK View Post
Where exactly did you find this information about the 3xCAB ABCT?
I mean what link in google?
THX
http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/02/24/au...up-to-13-bcts/

As far as I know, it was a proposed part of sequestration. Whether it has gone beyond the proposal stage I do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin88
Here is the link to what I found on google.

https://sites.google.com/site/usarmy...t-team-revised

In addtion to my seeking the latest TOE details for the ABCT (formerly HBCT), if anyone has recent TOE charts / numbers for the Infantry, Stryker, Division HQ Battalion, Fires, Sustainment and Aviation Brigades, those would be appreciated as well.
You might want to rethink that source. Considering the money that is about to be cut. Seems a bit unrealistic to be reactivating 2 Divisions and adding BCTs to the 7th as well as a bunch of other units in the regular army and guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin88
Does anyone have a more recent version of FKSM 71-8 2011?
Probably not, FKSM stands for Fort Knox Supplemental Manual since the Armor School has moved from Fort Knox to Benning. I have a feeling the 2011 edition is it.
Old 09 Dec 12, 22:57
Private First Class
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Actually, you were supposed to have two, three or four Combined Arms Battalions. The problem was the Regulars told the Guard they had to use the two CAB formation and had to delete excess units! Now they are going back to three such CAB's will the Guard be allowed to raise new units? Not likely!
There are three separate CABs in Kansas (2-137th), Ohio (1-145th) and South Carolina (4-118th) that could be added to various BCTs.
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Dec 12, 10:22
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
There are several more, as I hear Arizona and New Mexico actually converted units to Infantry. I think the affected states should be allowed to raise that third combat battalion they lost. Texas for instance a few years ago had an Armor Division with ten Armor and Infantry Battalions. Then it was announced they would become the 36th Infantry Division. Next it was announced that one Brigade would convert to Combat Support and the brigades would go Light Infantry. Result was Texas went from 10 combat battalions to four because all Guard LI Brigades had only two Infantry Battalions! Now they want to drop one of the four LI Brigades? My bet is they drop one of the two Texas Brigades and keep the Arkansas and Louisiana Brigades.

The Guards that lost that third Battalion due to 'reform' can return to the old battalion or raise a new one! Louisiana had an Armor Battalion (1/108th AR or 1/256th AR) and two Infantry Battalions (2, 3/156th IR). The 1/108th became the Recon Battalion. Now we have no organic transport because the Light Infantry don't rate it! This hurts our response to hurricanes when the guard has to beg and borrow trucks.

Pruitt

Old 28 Jan 13, 17:15
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I was going through the latest version last night and noticed that none of the BCTs has an Air Defense Battery any more. Is that accurate or did the author just miss something?

Questions abour our site? See the FAQ.
Old 28 Jan 13, 17:57
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor 
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
I was going through the latest version last night and noticed that none of the BCTs has an Air Defense Battery any more. Is that accurate or did the author just miss something?
Being that Stingers and Avengers have been incorporated into lower echelon units, an outright ADA unit might not be needed.
Old 29 Jan 13, 11:00
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I've got the May 2010 edition of FSKM 71-8 and I can't find any ADA weapons at all.

Old 29 Jan 13, 20:11
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor 
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
I've got the May 2010 edition of FSKM 71-8 and I can't find any ADA weapons at all.
I would think Stinger Platoons and Avenger Sections would be integrated into the line Bn's.
Old 30 Jan 13, 17:05
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
I would think Stinger Platoons and Avenger Sections would be integrated into the line Bn's.
Heh, that's were they were when I got to Germany in `81.

I've now gone through the entire document. No ADA weapons of any kind in any of the brigades or subordinate units.

I've uploaded it to the Yahoo group to see what the smart guys can come up with.

Old 31 Jan 13, 19:28
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
I don't know if this will help shed any light, but the way it worked during the Cold War was that a heavy brigade was composed of two armor and three mech infantry battalions, plus support groups, one of which was an ADA battalion whose batteries were parceled out to the manuever battalions in the same way that the medical battalion parceled out its ambulance platoons.

For that reason, air defense weapons did not show up on the manuever battalion TO&E's, because they were not organic to those units, any more than the wheeled ambulances did.
Old 31 Jan 13, 21:24
Private First Class
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

My understanding of ADA assets after modularization is that all ADA assets are controlled at Corps level and parceled out to lower echelons on an as needed basis.
Old 05 Feb 13, 15:37
First Sergeant
United_States

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
I have to wonder who in their right mind would call any artillery unit a "fires" unit(i.e. Company,Batttalion,Brigade).I mean what was wrong with the calling them Field Artillery?that's what they are wether fire M777s or HIMARS or MLRSs thats what they are Feild Artillery
Old 05 Feb 13, 21:02
General of the Forums
United_States

Hey, this is the new, improved Army! I wait with bated breath to see what they re-name Armor and Infantry!

Pruitt

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!