HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider Hosting > OnceAMarine.com

Notices and Announcements

OnceAMarine.com Weider History is proud to support OnceAMarine.com. This forum is for discussing the book, and the men and women of the armed forces who are injured in the line of duty. Visit the Website.

Old 25 Mar 12, 10:47
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lcm1 gives and gets respect [800]
lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ace View Post
That is disgusting, Anglopole.

My views on involvement in Iraq aside, I would never degrade the memory of those who gave their lives doing their duty.
Agreed Andy, lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
Old 25 Mar 12, 10:56
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800] lcm1 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ace View Post
Not just the US - our own LCM1 made a similar promise to His Majesty George VI.

Sorry LCM1 didn't realise you'd already posted.
OK mate,never back off from a compliment particularly if it is accompanied by a beer, Cheers, lcm1 ( Ken)

Old 25 Mar 12, 11:06
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglopole View Post
My dad has now a pin badge to say he is a British Armed Forces Veteran. Just started to give these out to vets in the UK. I am proud of him wearing it. He did not serve in a 'war' but he served his country in Northern Ireland and Hong Kong.

A veteran is someone to be thankful for. I still remember the anti-war marches agaisnt iraq in 03 in my home city of Exeter. They all sat on the cenotaph there. I was so disgusted.

A little respect goes a long way. After all they gave or give more than just that themselves!
They are pretty tardy (as usual) back home handing out those pins, we have had ours out in Aussie land for some time, Cheers, lcm1

Old 14 Jun 12, 11:53
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
They are pretty tardy (as usual) back home handing out those pins, we have had ours out in Aussie land for some time, Cheers, lcm1

Better late than never..........
1. Here in Canada I dont recall any pins etc being given out for service recognition..i could be wrong.
2. The Feds did name a section of the Trans Canada Highway..Highway of Heros.....The cynic in me always wondered about this as we had be transporting the lads that fell on so called "Peacekeeping" for years and nobody cared.
3.I served in the Brit Army and the Canadian military have three medals and two letters of commendation and the only thing that ever counted, to me, was my Jump wings ( Brit, Can, French) and my Can Engineer wings...

To the guys/girls who came home the hard way...

Near Toulun France....
Old 23 Sep 12, 05:22
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
1. Here in Canada I dont recall any pins etc being given out for service recognition..i could be wrong.
2. The Feds did name a section of the Trans Canada Highway..Highway of Heros.....The cynic in me always wondered about this as we had be transporting the lads that fell on so called "Peacekeeping" for years and nobody cared.
3.I served in the Brit Army and the Canadian military have three medals and two letters of commendation and the only thing that ever counted, to me, was my Jump wings ( Brit, Can, French) and my Can Engineer wings...

Near Toulun France....
I have found that the veteran lapel badge does not'DO' a lot by itself without the proof of a Veteran Affairs card which on occasions enables you to get modest concessions but you get no more than ordinary pensioners get anyway. After coming from a country originally, that does its best to ignore veterans in the hope that they will eventually go away, it is at least good to be officially recognised as such!! lcm1

Old 24 Sep 12, 09:38
Australia

Quote:

Near Toulun France....
Hullo Bow,tell me is there any problems in getting official replacements for lost medals in Canada? I was told by my Rating base (Chatham) to go to a medal maker if I wanted to replace them,which I did, here in Australia. They look quite good but are artificially shiney and on close inspection a little on the tinny side.They pass in a crowd but I am secretly rather aware of what they are. lcm1

Old 24 Sep 12, 11:37
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I have found that the veteran lapel badge does not'DO' a lot by itself without the proof of a Veteran Affairs card which on occasions enables you to get modest concessions but you get no more than ordinary pensioners get anyway. After coming from a country originally, that does its best to ignore veterans in the hope that they will eventually go away, it is at least good to be officially recognised as such!! lcm1
Ah Yes! Tommy Atkins comes to mind.

FB 327 th ASD/ADD 165th Avn Grp RVN

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.

Old 12 Jan 13, 11:43
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Indeed...
Old 18 Jan 13, 10:50
Lieutenant General
Canada

Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300] Bow is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
In case anyone is not familiar with Kipling, its :

"For its Tommy this an' Tommy that, an' Chuck him out , the brute'
But it's saviour of his country when the guns begin to shoot"

Tommy by Rudyard Kipling...
Old 20 Jan 13, 14:54
Lieutenant General
Canada

Quote:
Hullo Bow,tell me is there any problems in getting official replacements for lost medals in Canada? I was told by my Rating base (Chatham) to go to a medal maker if I wanted to replace them,which I did, here in Australia. They look quite good but are artificially shiney and on close inspection a little on the tinny side.They pass in a crowd but I am secretly rather aware of what they are. lcm1

To tell the truth mate I have never realy bothered....I even had a medal sitting in Ottawa awaiting pickup, told them to mail it as I couldnt be bothered.......There is an outfit in Quebec that will make you mini replacement medals , and the ones I have seen are very nice.....I was never a wearer of anything but my jump wings.....to many "show offs" that have never been anyplace.......but I keep the faith with the guys I served with and as the USMC say's...Semper Fi....
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Jan 13, 18:01
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Quote:
In case anyone is not familiar with Kipling, its :

"For its Tommy this an' Tommy that, an' Chuck him out , the brute'
But it's saviour of his country when the guns begin to shoot"

Tommy by Rudyard Kipling...
Bow if they are posting on this thread and not familiar with "Tommy" then they need to go to a thread for the newest designs from Paris.

I don't know about you but I have lived the part of Tommy in the US a way back when.

FB 327 th ASD/ADD 165th Avn Grp RVN

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.

Old 21 Jan 13, 10:56
Lieutenant General
Canada

Quote:
Bow if they are posting on this thread and not familiar with "Tommy" then they need to go to a thread for the newest designs from Paris.

I don't know about you but I have lived the part of Tommy in the US a way back when.

Been there, done that, got the scars and the t-shirt.......Including the a###
hole who phoned my wife and my new son to tell her I was dead when I was away "on a job" in Africa...where this moron blew it was that :
1. My wife knew they procedures the military use to "pass the word"...not by phone.
2. I had just finished speaking to her from Africa via SAT phone appox 5 mins before this idiot phoned.......( Some place in the cosmos he will get his, if he hasnt already)

As I said before.....Kept the faith with the guys I served with and others as we covered each others backs in some s##### places the government sent us.

What I find cynical is the way the government of today makes a big deal of re-naming part of the Trans Canada Highway the "Highway of Heros" for the Afghani affair, while back a number of years ago the guys coming back from so called "peace keeping" ( the Middle East, Africa, Bosnia, South America , etc,etc,) the hard way never even got the luxury of a government rep, tv camera or even one piper, but got shoved in the hearse and off to the graveyard .

I was stationed in Trenton during part of this time and I remember a mad dash to get enough guys dressed in full honour guard gear on differant occasions when the government "forgot" to inform us of these flight arrivals....at the time NOBODY ( except us) cared....so I never had much faith ( to this day) in what ever government is running the place.

To all the fallen and a to the ones who walked off the plane...

Last edited by Bow; 21 Jan 13 at 18:27..
Old 24 Jan 13, 00:18
Australia

Quote:
[/B]

Been there, done that, got the scars and the t-shirt.......Including the a###
hole who phoned my wife and my new son to tell her I was dead when I was away "on a job" in Africa...where this moron blew it was that :
1. My wife knew they procedures the military use to "pass the word"...not by phone.
2. I had just finished speaking to her from Africa via SAT phone appox 5 mins before this idiot phoned.......( Some place in the cosmos he will get his, if he hasnt already)

As I said before.....Kept the faith with the guys I served with and others as we covered each others backs in some s##### places the government sent us.

What I find cynical is the way the government of today makes a big deal of re-naming part of the Trans Canada Highway the "Highway of Heros" for the Afghani affair, while back a number of years ago the guys coming back from so called "peace keeping" ( the Middle East, Africa, Bosnia, South America , etc,etc,) the hard way never even got the luxury of a government rep, tv camera or even one piper, but got shoved in the hearse and off to the graveyard .

I was stationed in Trenton during part of this time and I remember a mad dash to get enough guys dressed in full honour guard gear on differant occasions when the government "forgot" to inform us of these flight arrivals....at the time NOBODY ( except us) cared....so I never had much faith ( to this day) in what ever government is running the place.

To all the fallen and a to the ones who walked off the plane...
Know how you feel mate. lcm1

Old 24 Jan 13, 00:30
Australia

Quote:
To tell the truth mate I have never realy bothered....I even had a medal sitting in Ottawa awaiting pickup, told them to mail it as I couldnt be bothered.......There is an outfit in Quebec that will make you mini replacement medals , and the ones I have seen are very nice.....I was never a wearer of anything but my jump wings.....to many "show offs" that have never been anyplace.......but I keep the faith with the guys I served with and as the USMC say's...Semper Fi....
Don't wear them to show off mate,funerals of ex service men,Anzac day parade (a big thing over here) etc: found you can easy pick out the pretenders with the WW2 medals, 39/45 stars, campaign stars and so on, they are enclined to wear them in the wrong order.My main beef originally though was,that it was the usual British Government poor show, that it is impossible to get a medal replacement if genuine. lcm1

Old 19 Nov 13, 17:42
Colonel
Australia

lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100] lodestar has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Defining veterans

Hi all.

This is probably an appropriate place to mention that I’ve created a thread on the World War II sub-forum titled “Proposed tute: Defining a WWII COMBAT Veteran”.

I’m interested in exploring the definition of COMBAT veteran as opposed to Veteran in general. Looking at the whole concept and how multifaceted, complicated and tricky the issue can be.

The following quote of mine from the above thread might help outline roughly what I mean:

“However, as I have stated, I'm developing possible tute topics and this one was about defining a COMBAT veteran.

Discussion needs to be broad and moved along (whatever the topic is not just this one), hence my attempt to garner what posters thought of the COMBAT vet status of the following examples:

"Those Jews [civilians] who fought the Nazis during the Warsaw Ghetto
uprising of 1943?

Vietnamese farmers who were peasants during the day and VC at night?

Palestinian civilians who came under Israeli attack sheltering PLO fighters
in their homes?

Afghanistan National Army soldiers who turned their weapons on NATO
troops?

Gotta keep those young minds churning over!
With any luck they'll emerge from a tute more confused and uncertain than when they went in, which of course is the whole point of the exercise!"
Used to work back in the day. Just not sure about the new generation.”

Would appreciate input from posters on this thread.
Regards lodestar

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!