HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

View Poll Results: what's the best WW2 SMG?
Sten gun 3 4.69%
MP-40 9 14.06%
Thompson M-1928/ M-1 25 39.06%
PPSH-41 29 45.31%
Suomi m-31 7 10.94%
Owen 5 7.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Jan 13, 20:17
Sergeant Major
Brazil

kurt tank 152 is on the path to success [1-99] kurt tank 152 is on the path to success [1-99] kurt tank 152 is on the path to success [1-99] kurt tank 152 is on the path to success [1-99]
Arrow What's the best WW 2 SMG?

among the great variety of small weapons of ww2, the smg were the most produced and widespread used. specially the soviet union, with their PPSH-41, more than 5 milion produced, entire battalions were armed with it. the smg had drawbacks, of course, like short range, some soldiers that didn't know it had the semiauto function (they use it always in full auto, ) and in case of Sten gun, lack of strenght in early models. to me, the two best weapons in this class were the american Thompson M-1928 and M-1, and the soviet PPSH-41. they were weapons realiable, good handling, excellent stopping power (in M-1's .45 ACP), high capacity (PPSH-41 had a 71 round drum, M-1928 had 50 and 100 rd drums), and in city/close quarters combats, were second to none, until the german MP-44 came in use, but this is a matter to another thread. what's your opinion about this?
thanks for your comments!

the Sten Mk II

the German MP-40 (made by Erma Werke, not by Hugo Schmeisser)

the Soviet PPSH-41

Thompson M-1928 (left) and M-1 (right)

the Finnish Suomi M-31

the Aussie Owen Mk 1-43

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.
John Adams
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Jan 13, 21:19
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I went with the Thompson since its the only weapon on the list that I've actually fired.

Homer

BoRG
Old 21 Jan 13, 22:17
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100]
T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100] T. A. Gardner is a pillar of the community [1100]
Other. I'd say the Beretta 38a is. It was widely copied by other nations and even today is a quality weapon.

Of the ones listed:

The Sten is a piece of crap and that's being nice.
The Sumi is a Beretta clone.
The Thompson is nice but expensive and really heavy.
The PPsH is okay but fires a pretty lame round and quality suffered during the war.
The MP 38/40 is touchy and has a bad tendency to spray rather than deliver accurate fire.
The Owen is better than the Sten but it is still a wartime expedient that wasn't copied by anyone.

Just none of those listed were really outstanding. But the Beretta was copied by Bergman in Germany, in Finland, and to a degree in Russia, along with elsewhere. Everyone practically used it when they could get their hands on one too.

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 21 Jan 13 at 22:23..
Old 21 Jan 13, 22:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm a big fan of both the Thompson and the Owen sub machine guns. The Tommygun had enormous stopping power and the Owen was very effective and had excellent reliablity qualities in a jungle climate. It's top feed magazine concept was first rate. Small wonder the Australians kept them around for many years following WWII.
Old 22 Jan 13, 00:07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tim McBride is on the path to success [1-99] Tim McBride is on the path to success [1-99]
Having owned, built or shot everything on that list excluding the Owen, I would have to go with the Sten.
They work, they are cheap, easy to build, and the are controllable.
Old 22 Jan 13, 00:28
Lieutenant General
United_States

Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300]
how do the MP40 and PPSH stack up against one another?
Old 22 Jan 13, 00:29
Major General
Germany

Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300] Acheron is on a distinguished road [300]
Do we have data on what SMGs were eagerly scavenged by opposing forces for their own use? I read that on the Eastern Front, both the PPsh and the MP 40 were quite popular with soldiers on the other side.
Old 22 Jan 13, 02:18
First Sergeant
United_States

Hypaspist is on the path to success [1-99] Hypaspist is on the path to success [1-99]
Having fired none of them, but having read that the PPSh41 was preferred by the Germans who captured it for its toughness, I give it my vote.

Thompson is a second, because it the best looking design.
Old 22 Jan 13, 02:42
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt tank 152 View Post
among the great variety of small weapons of ww2, the smg were the most produced and widespread used. specially the soviet union, with their PPSH-41, more than 5 milion produced, entire battalions were armed with it. the smg had drawbacks, of course, like short range, some soldiers that didn't know it had the semiauto function (they use it always in full auto, ) and in case of Sten gun, lack of strenght in early models. to me, the two best weapons in this class were the american Thompson M-1928 and M-1, and the soviet PPSH-41. they were weapons realiable, good handling, excellent stopping power (in M-1's .45 ACP), high capacity (PPSH-41 had a 71 round drum, M-1928 had 50 and 100 rd drums), and in city/close quarters combats, were second to none, until the german MP-44 came in use, but this is a matter to another thread. what's your opinion about this?
thanks for your comments!

the Sten Mk II

the German MP-40 (made by Erma Werke, not by Hugo Schmeisser)

the Soviet PPSH-41

Thompson M-1928 (left) and M-1 (right)

the Finnish Suomi M-31

the Aussie Owen Mk 1-43

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.
John Adams
It's no good I must say it, "OH NO, not again!! lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
Old 22 Jan 13, 02:45
Australia

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McBride View Post
Having owned, built or shot everything on that list excluding the Owen, I would have to go with the Sten.
They work, they are cheap, easy to build, and the are controllable.
HeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHe!!

Sponsored Links

Old 22 Jan 13, 08:09
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Smile

I went with the Sten, seeing as how the only bloke to have used one in anger, speaks so highly of 'em!

ps wot about the Lanchester?

lanchester1.jpg

Old 22 Jan 13, 08:36
General of the Forums
Israel
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Thompson and Owen are the only ones that make sense ergonomically when firing (PPSH, MP, Sten and Suomi all require holding from the magazine). However when inserting magazine changes and jam clearing the Owen is clear out with the awkwardness of the top inserted mag.

Even though they were out before, drum fed SMG are also problematic to reload.

So, bottom line, I'm going with the Thompson.
Old 22 Jan 13, 09:40
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400]
Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400]
Having only fired the Thompson, PPSh-41 and Sten, I went with the Pa-Pa-Sha. It spits rounds out lightning quick, has a large capacity (either drum or stick), is relatively light, and the rounds hit hard. For a quick room-cleaner or short-range spritzer, it's hard to beat.

That said, I heard the PPSh-43 was better - maybe just because it was easier and cheaper to make.

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)
Old 22 Jan 13, 20:27
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
I went with the Sten, seeing as how the only bloke to have used one in anger, speaks so highly of 'em!

ps wot about the Lanchester?

Attachment 51761

I can always rely on you Von, Ken. PS. The Lanchester a top class weapon dismissed in favour of that load of scrap called a Sten only because it was quality and you have to pay for quality!! An old saying,"You get nothing for nothing!!" lcm1

Last edited by lcm1; 22 Jan 13 at 20:34..
Old 22 Jan 13, 22:22
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou is simply cracking [600]
lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600]
I've fired all except the Owen, which I heard some very nice things about. The Thompson is highly controllable in the right hands, but heavy. A good weapon for conventional infantry warfare partially due to the fact that its round was definitely the hardest hitting. But my favorite WWII SMG was the MP-40, which may have been for totally immature teenaged reasons. Post-war my favorites were the MAT-49 and the Uzi.

Jon, I liked the Ppsh 43 myself, and had a Chinese paratroop version. The paradigm of simplicity. But I never fired it much due to a shortage of ammo.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!