HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks!

Notices and Announcements

Armchair Attacks! Head-to-head tournaments galore! Battle Summaries!

Old 18 Dec 12, 18:40
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
I believe the topic chosen was "Most Significant Event in the 20th Century" and the moderators were working on it but some things came up that has delayed it.
Old 24 Dec 12, 13:31
Colonel
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
Last Stands would be good but possibly tough to define. Would this mean combat where one side had no possibilty of retreat or immediate reinforcement where the defenders displayed outstanding courage?

Those that ended in both defeat and victory would have to be treated equally of course.

Some ideas
  • Rorkes Drift
  • Custer
  • Dien Bien Phu
  • The Glocesters (Korea)
  • Thin Red Line (Crimea)
  • Cameron (French Foreign Legion, Mexico)

There were of course many last stands by Japanese forces late in WW2, both on the Pacific islands and in Burma where huge forces fought until they were wiped out.
Old 25 Dec 12, 10:39
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99] SeaDog48 is on the path to success [1-99]
You forgot the Alamo and Wake Island
Old 25 Dec 12, 10:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Stalingrad, the German Festung Befehl and Berlin.
Old 25 Dec 12, 17:46
Colonel
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
I would imagine that Stalingrad would be the clear favourite to be honest. Nothing else can really match it.

Old 11 Jan 13, 11:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
....and here it is 2013...
Old 11 Jan 13, 17:46
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose50 View Post
....and here it is 2013...

So it is...
Old 30 Jan 13, 15:59
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500]
G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Jones View Post
I agree...I'd like some chance at earning a ribbon other than the 5-Year Service one.
Other than hanging around for five years or so, how does one get one?

Who controls the Spice, controls the Universe!
Old 30 Jan 13, 20:25
General of the Forums
United_States

G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500] G David Bock is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkertail20 View Post
I believe the topic chosen was "Most Significant Event in the 20th Century" and the moderators were working on it but some things came up that has delayed it.
That concept holds some merit and potential. Hopefully, Dec. 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor makes the list. I just recently finished reading this book and think such would get my vote;
December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World
http://www.amazon.com/December-1941-.../dp/B00A16SFIM

Old 30 Jan 13, 20:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Here's another subject for consideration;

Best twin engined, propeller driven, combat aircraft of World War II.

Excludes jets, flying boats, and transport/cargo types.
Would include fighter (day and/or night), fighter-bomber, attack/light bomber, medium bomber, recon, etc.
I know we have a couple of related threads already, so this could pick-up from there.
One question would be if they had to see operational use/combat; i.e. would some prototypes and developmental ones be excluded, as those entering service too late (like Grumman F7F Tigercat)?

Old 31 Jan 13, 20:23
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400]
triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
Here's another subject for consideration;

Best twin engined, propeller driven, combat aircraft of World War II.

Excludes jets, flying boats, and transport/cargo types.
Would include fighter (day and/or night), fighter-bomber, attack/light bomber, medium bomber, recon, etc.
I know we have a couple of related threads already, so this could pick-up from there.
One question would be if they had to see operational use/combat; i.e. would some prototypes and developmental ones be excluded, as those entering service too late (like Grumman F7F Tigercat)?
The Mossie already won.
Old 12 Feb 13, 00:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscottmorri View Post
Last Stands would be good but possibly tough to define. Would this mean combat where one side had no possibilty of retreat or immediate reinforcement where the defenders displayed outstanding courage?

Those that ended in both defeat and victory would have to be treated equally of course.

Some ideas
  • Rorkes Drift
  • Custer
  • Dien Bien Phu
  • The Glocesters (Korea)
  • Thin Red Line (Crimea)
  • Cameron (French Foreign Legion, Mexico)

There were of course many last stands by Japanese forces late in WW2, both on the Pacific islands and in Burma where huge forces fought until they were wiped out.
Bushy Run...? Never heard of that one did you?
Old 06 Apr 13, 00:46
Major General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200] Capt AFB is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjockey View Post
The Mossie already won.
Yup! But it would be interesting to see which one would come in 2nd and 3rd place.

Combattre, vaincre ou mourir (Fight, win or die)
Old 06 Apr 13, 08:45
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Significant event:

The Mosquito that bombed Berlin, and diverted the Luftwaffe from the RAF airfields and and to London.
Old 14 Apr 13, 07:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
Other than hanging around for five years or so, how does one get one?
That's all it takes and you should have one by now. Mention it to a mod and you should get it.
You better listen to Mr. Hate
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!