HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 03 Sep 12, 23:11
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
The final DLC package for MW3, appropriately entitled 'Final Assault', has gotten a trailer:

The artwork on these maps is amazing. While BF3 can claim bigger maps, it can't claim prettier maps.
Old 04 Sep 12, 11:18
Banned
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Crazy, all those maps look like they were jacked from old SOCOM games.
Old 16 Dec 12, 05:46
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100] Axis of Evil has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I liked MW3.... Hell I like all the MW games. It really is an epic story of how WWIII could happen. I know that it probably isn't logistically possible for Russia to invade the US but at least it explained how they managed to get across the ocean without being stopped by the USN.

I liked how when you played it you felt like you were just one soldier in a big ass war. The game however is not without its flaws. I think they probably could have told us what happened to those two snipers after roach and ghost got killed by Shepred or the SAS troopers in London.

PS, this post is my 666th the mark of the beast
Old 17 Dec 12, 16:28
Captain
United_States

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
I liked MW3.... Hell I like all the MW games. It really is an epic story of how WWIII could happen. I know that it probably isn't logistically possible for Russia to invade the US but at least it explained how they managed to get across the ocean without being stopped by the USN.

I liked how when you played it you felt like you were just one soldier in a big ass war.
I agree. After hearing all the negativity surrounding the game I was surprised by how much I liked it. MW3 is a fantastic gaming package. And, yeah, its vision of WWIII while preposterous (Russian invading almost the entire world simultaneously?!? ), it was nevertheless brought to life with wonderful detail. Like you said, it really did capture the idea of the player being one small soldier in a very big war.

Contrary to all the complaining, I would give MW3 a 9.5/10.
Old 20 Dec 12, 23:45
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
I loved the story for the first MW game. It was interesting, exciting and felt real.

The campaigns for MW2 and 3 got into the realms of fantasy for me a bit though. Don't get me wrong, they were enjoyable, but it just felt a bit weird really.

Now go ahead. Make fun of me for being old.

-- Christopher Hitchens
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Dec 12, 01:42
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
I agree. After hearing all the negativity surrounding the game I was surprised by how much I liked it. MW3 is a fantastic gaming package. And, yeah, its vision of WWIII while preposterous (Russian invading almost the entire world simultaneously?!? ), it was nevertheless brought to life with wonderful detail. Like you said, it really did capture the idea of the player being one small soldier in a very big war.

Contrary to all the complaining, I would give MW3 a 9.5/10.
Even while preposterous, they actually did a good job of developing the whole conspiracy and where Makarov came from. I know that when it flashed back to Makarov being involved in everything that happened in MW1, and Yuri too, I was nearing the level of mindfk titled "Assassin's Creed." So like you correctly stated, it has wonderful detail. The WHOLE MW story, that is.

That's the sort of thing I dig. Techno-thriller conspiracy type stuff. It's why I like reading Tom Clancy.

However my "problem" with Call of Duty (prepare for long rant), on and off even since CoD 3, is that it's gone from front line grunt (really feeling like you're the 999,999th man out of 1 million) to almost exclusively tier 1 ops. I understand that for the later ones, it sort of makes sense, as the importance of tier 1 operations has increased in recent decades due to terrorism and such, but still. CoD 3 started it, really. It was half grunt and half SAS. CoD 4 was maybe a quarter grunt and 3/4ths tier 1. CoD 5 was almost all grunt-back to basics. MW2 and beyond was/is all tier 1, whether it's Rangers, Delta, SEALs, SAS, Spetsnaz, TF 141, GIGN, etc. I have a hard time believing that in the whole defense of Washington DC, the 75th Rangers is the only unit involved. And that New York has nothing but D-Boys.

Heck, even Battlefield did that, with the Bad Company series. Battlefield was pretty much the ArmA that wasn't ArmA, and was ALL about tactical front line action. In Bad Company, its just your tier 1 team, as far as the campaign goes. But BC2 and such are still great. I have to hand it to them-with BF3, they got back to basics.

Medal of Honor is about the only notable long-running FPS franchise that has stuck with their tier 1/spec ops all along. Whether it was OSS or current tier 1 operators. Warfighter looks like it includes lots of tier 1 units from around the world.

[/end rant]
Old 30 Dec 12, 00:17
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Even while preposterous, they actually did a good job of developing the whole conspiracy and where Makarov came from. I know that when it flashed back to Makarov being involved in everything that happened in MW1, and Yuri too, I was nearing the level of mindfk titled "Assassin's Creed." So like you correctly stated, it has wonderful detail. The WHOLE MW story, that is.

That's the sort of thing I dig. Techno-thriller conspiracy type stuff. It's why I like reading Tom Clancy.

However my "problem" with Call of Duty (prepare for long rant), on and off even since CoD 3, is that it's gone from front line grunt (really feeling like you're the 999,999th man out of 1 million) to almost exclusively tier 1 ops. I understand that for the later ones, it sort of makes sense, as the importance of tier 1 operations has increased in recent decades due to terrorism and such, but still. CoD 3 started it, really. It was half grunt and half SAS. CoD 4 was maybe a quarter grunt and 3/4ths tier 1. CoD 5 was almost all grunt-back to basics. MW2 and beyond was/is all tier 1, whether it's Rangers, Delta, SEALs, SAS, Spetsnaz, TF 141, GIGN, etc. I have a hard time believing that in the whole defense of Washington DC, the 75th Rangers is the only unit involved. And that New York has nothing but D-Boys.

Heck, even Battlefield did that, with the Bad Company series. Battlefield was pretty much the ArmA that wasn't ArmA, and was ALL about tactical front line action. In Bad Company, its just your tier 1 team, as far as the campaign goes. But BC2 and such are still great. I have to hand it to them-with BF3, they got back to basics.

Medal of Honor is about the only notable long-running FPS franchise that has stuck with their tier 1/spec ops all along. Whether it was OSS or current tier 1 operators. Warfighter looks like it includes lots of tier 1 units from around the world.

[/end rant]
I think that is an excellent summation.

BTW: if you liked the MW stories for the twists and turns, I think you will really enjoy Black Ops 2. While I thought the stories for MW1 & 3 were entertaining, the SP campaign for BlOps 2 is the first one where I really *really* would like to see it get a straight translation from computer to the big screen. I haven't finished it yet - it takes me a long while to complete these games as I get distracted by the MP too easily - but it is the first SP campaign in a long time to have me on the edge of my seat wondering what twist is coming down the pike next. I think the assistance of a professional scriptwriter definitely shows its benefits here.
Old 03 Jan 13, 02:23
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I think that is an excellent summation.

BTW: if you liked the MW stories for the twists and turns, I think you will really enjoy Black Ops 2. While I thought the stories for MW1 & 3 were entertaining, the SP campaign for BlOps 2 is the first one where I really *really* would like to see it get a straight translation from computer to the big screen. I haven't finished it yet - it takes me a long while to complete these games as I get distracted by the MP too easily - but it is the first SP campaign in a long time to have me on the edge of my seat wondering what twist is coming down the pike next. I think the assistance of a professional scriptwriter definitely shows its benefits here.
Thanks mate.

I haven't played Blops 2 yet. I got AC3 and Halo 4 for Christmas-I started on AC3 first, and haven't been able to pull myself away for any other game-not even Halo 4 (or Skyrim either)!

Anyways, I think that the whole MW series COULD be made into a trilogy, respective to each number, however I'm not sure how ye olde raggin' on the Russkis would fare. Same with Ghost Recon Future Soldier-that could be pretty cool-perhaps even like an Act of Valor style movie, with some cool CGI for the cloaking and such. But again-raggin'...

Blops 1 seemed like it may have been better as a movie, as the story was much more...IDK, thought-requiring, than the others. It's still an interesting story, however a movie, or book would have/would be cool.
Old 03 Jan 13, 04:06
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Haha, I've tried to write a screenplay for Call of Duty 4 so many times, I get trapped by writers block though: I loved the story, to me it would make a great movie.

-- Christopher Hitchens
Old 03 Jan 13, 12:30
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
Haha, I've tried to write a screenplay for Call of Duty 4 so many times, I get trapped by writers block though: I loved the story, to me it would make a great movie.
Ye olde writer's block-I sure know what you mean.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!