HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 19 Dec 12, 08:07
Colonel
France

sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400]
sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400] sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400] sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400] sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Some advice

Hello dear gents!

I'd like to fully understand the American Civil War,and i'd like you to advise me some documentaries that are easyly found on youtube.
What do you think of Ken Burns work?Do you have a very good movie to recommend to me?
Thank you very much.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Dec 12, 11:15
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99]
Oh, my friend, you have opened a can there pal, get ready. Have pen and paper at hand. If you are interested in the Civil War, this is the perfect site for you. These guys know their stuff. Ken Burns is good stuff, read some Shelby Foote, and ask any question.
Old 19 Dec 12, 11:17
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebfrench76 View Post
Hello dear gents!

I'd like to fully understand the American Civil War,and i'd like you to advise me some documentaries that are easyly found on youtube.
What do you think of Ken Burns work?Do you have a very good movie to recommend to me?
Thank you very much.
What exactly are you looking for? A general overview of the war? Politics? Just the battles? We can tailor our responses better.
Old 19 Dec 12, 23:13
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100]
You say you want to "Fully" understand the Cival War...And we here at ACG certainly welcome your interest.
That said, I wouldnt recommend starting with Youtube and movies.
Read, read, read!!!!
I suggest you start by reading "Battle Cry of Freedom". It's the hallmark of the Why&How of The American Cival War!

John

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
It's truly a simple concept.
Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!
Old 20 Dec 12, 00:24
Colonel
France

sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400] sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400] sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400] sebfrench76 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Thank you very much for your kind replies!
In fact ,the most delicate part,for me,is to understand how all began.
If you have got links...I can of course look by myself but,like we say in France:"il vaut mieux s'adresser au Bon Dieu qu' ses saints..".
Old 20 Dec 12, 06:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Second Battle Cry of Freedom, and anything by Bruce Catton, especially his trilogy on the Army of the Potomac.

The official records, which is an unrivaled primary source is online. You might want to take a look.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 20 Dec 12, 12:02
Major
United_States

mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100]
If you DO want to watch a video, you cant go wrong with "Civil War" by Ken Burns. It is a good overview that stays clear of any real agenda.
Old 20 Dec 12, 12:29
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Excellent suggestions so far.....here is an old thread where we discuss some of the best books for beginners:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ecommendations
Old 20 Dec 12, 14:41
Colonel
France

Once again thank you chaps!
I will go to pick up some books names in the thread you advised me,and in fact,last summer,besides to "the war",Arte,our national cultural channel,proposed also "the civil war"..I watched both of them,and i have NEVER seen an equal programm in terms of quality .These were the best historical documentary i have seen.
So you seem to confirm i didn't failed on that judgement..
Old 20 Dec 12, 22:56
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

midaeu is on the path to success [1-99] midaeu is on the path to success [1-99] midaeu is on the path to success [1-99] midaeu is on the path to success [1-99]
I think Bruce Catton is the way to go. His books are a little older but well written and researched. I also like Shelby Foote. He is a novelist but in my view very accurate historically. He is very easy to read. The only catch is that it is a 3 volume work and very long but well worth the read.
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Dec 12, 07:40
Colonel
France

Thanks Mike!
I came across a History channel programme named Gettysburg.Filmed like SPR,realised by Ridley Scott(in fact ,looks a bit like The Black Hawk dawn...)quite impressive.(i'm presently watching it...)
Old 21 Dec 12, 07:52
United_States

Quote:
Thanks Mike!
I came across a History channel programme named Gettysburg.Filmed like SPR,realised by Ridley Scott(in fact ,looks a bit like The Black Hawk dawn...)quite impressive.(i'm presently watching it...)
There are some quirks with that History Channel version of Gettysburg, but overall it is not bad. By & far the best parts deal with Rufus Dawes, a Major in the 6th Wisconsin (part of the Iron Brigade). Our own resident cavalry expert Eric Wittenberg is currently doing a piece on him (not that he has anything to do with cavalry). If you are really into the films/documentaries, I recommend some of the ones produced for the National Parks. The one on Perryville is quite good:
http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Perryvi...rds=perryville
Old 21 Dec 12, 09:02
Colonel
France

I finally watched it and was really impressed..Wahooo....
For a froggie used to cheap documentaries......
Besides the Hollywood effects,the R.Scott's gimmicks,it made me fully(IMO..) figure out the keys of this battle,and the strategy used by both camps.
By the way,i was thinking about the trauma this very battle has caused in the USA,years after ,and may be even today.
Do you think(no sarcasm in my question) that still today,you can feel a rupture in your society,something that has a bitter taste for the South:i.e:things could be different if we had won,we were so close to win,never forget that.
In France,medias are frequently stigmatizing the old antagonism beetween North and South.
Is this a reality,according to you?Thanx!
Am i clear enough?
Old 21 Dec 12, 09:05
Colonel
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanotLee View Post
You say you want to "Fully" understand the Cival War...And we here at ACG certainly welcome your interest.
That said, I wouldnt recommend starting with Youtube and movies.
Read, read, read!!!!
I suggest you start by reading "Battle Cry of Freedom". It's the hallmark of the Why&How of The American Cival War!

John
Thank you John !
The autor of this book,Mc Pherson,was interviewed at the very end of this documentary.I have a poor English level,i will look after a translated version of this particular work.
Old 21 Dec 12, 10:45
United_States

Quote:
I finally watched it and was really impressed..Wahooo....
For a froggie used to cheap documentaries......
Besides the Hollywood effects,the R.Scott's gimmicks,it made me fully(IMO..) figure out the keys of this battle,and the strategy used by both camps.
By the way,i was thinking about the trauma this very battle has caused in the USA,years after ,and may be even today.
Do you think(no sarcasm in my question) that still today,you can feel a rupture in your society,something that has a bitter taste for the South:i.e:things could be different if we had won,we were so close to win,never forget that.
In France,medias are frequently stigmatizing the old antagonism beetween North and South.
Is this a reality,according to you?Thanx!
Am i clear enough?
Certain people do try & "refight" it. We refer to most of those folks as "Lost Causers". The vast majority of Americans recognize the war is over & the right side won.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!