HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > General Gaming Discussion

Notices and Announcements

General Gaming Discussion Discussion of gaming subjects that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Will you be picking up Elder Scrolls, Skyrim, and for what system?
Yes, maybe not at 12:01 Friday morning, but....!! 12 21.82%
Thinkin' about it....... 5 9.09%
Nope, RPG's are not my thing 8 14.55%
Depends on the reviews/gamer feedback 5 9.09%
XBOX 360 all the way!! 12 21.82%
PC, gotta have all the mods that will pop up 19 34.55%
PS3 for me please!! 6 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Dec 12, 14:36
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
All the DLC's so far are really good
Old 19 Dec 12, 05:32
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
In my replay, I just finished the Bards College entrance quest and that is one of my all time favorites. The whole burning of King Olaf in the courtyard and eating treats was such an RPG delight.
Old 19 Dec 12, 05:38
General
Belgium

Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500]
Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500] Snowygerry is a jewel in the rough [500]
It's next on my list after attending mages college - it's in Solitude I believe ?

I just found a flute in some burial chamber so I maybe I start practicing on the way over there

A bard-mage would seem a perfect build for exploring Skyrim.

Does the game let you manipulate musical instruments in any way ?
Old 19 Dec 12, 06:18
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
It's next on my list after attending mages college - it's in Solitude I believe ?

I just found a flute in some burial chamber so I maybe I start practicing on the way over there

You cannot play instruments in the vanilla game mate - you can get a mod via the Steam workshop which allows you to make and play instruments- the lute, the drum and the flute. Otherwise they're just dead weight. With the mod you even get 'battle' versions which have effects in combat.

You'll find the mage college in Winterhold sir - along the coast between Danwstar and Windhelm, the bards college is indeed in Solitude
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Old 19 Dec 12, 06:31
General of the Forums
UK

Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Thought some of you might like to see some of the piccies I took now I figured out how to do it last night.
This is of my warrior play through 'Otto' a mercenary based on the German renaissances 'landsnechts', uses two handed swords, bows and his speachcraft. This is the travelling about attire for sneaking up on game with the bow and seeing off the smaller foes. I'll get a pic up tonight with the Witcher Armour mod I use - same stats as steel plate - it looks the business. In that pic you might be able to see the 'survivor backpack' I got, again from the steam workshop - it's a craftible backpack that gives you plus 100 to carrying capacity and is made using a torch, furs, skins and a woodsman's axe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot2i.jpg (127.2 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Dec 12, 10:49
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
I started a new character, Avar, and he's going to be sort of like Snowy's character. For the time being, I'm just wearing whatever decent clothes I can find, and some light armor boots and gauntlets. I carry just a one handed sword, and a bow. He also doesn't carry a lot of coin, but sells what he finds in the wilds, on his adventures.

I haven't really done any quests with him-I've just been hunting and exploring, and trying to play as a peasant adventurer. It's kind of fun actually.
Old 20 Dec 12, 16:44
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99] StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99]
Sadly, I haven't been able to play much. Ever since I got an SSD my game crashes randomly every 3 - 15 minutes. I've tried everything including a fresh install. I'm going to double check this weekend to make sure I totally stripped out the old stuff then try a full install one more time. All my other stuff is running flawlessly and very fast. GRRRRR....
Old 20 Dec 12, 20:28
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarRat View Post
Sadly, I haven't been able to play much. Ever since I got an SSD my game crashes randomly every 3 - 15 minutes. I've tried everything including a fresh install. I'm going to double check this weekend to make sure I totally stripped out the old stuff then try a full install one more time. All my other stuff is running flawlessly and very fast. GRRRRR....
You haven't downloaded a bunch of mods by any chance ?

Paul
Old 20 Dec 12, 22:14
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
I started a new character, Avar, and he's going to be sort of like Snowy's character. For the time being, I'm just wearing whatever decent clothes I can find, and some light armor boots and gauntlets. I carry just a one handed sword, and a bow. He also doesn't carry a lot of coin, but sells what he finds in the wilds, on his adventures.

I haven't really done any quests with him-I've just been hunting and exploring, and trying to play as a peasant adventurer. It's kind of fun actually.
Well I decided to enact some more restrictions on Avar, to make him even more like a peasant, prospector, hunter, and a bit of a blacksmith.

Previously, he had a steel sword as his weapon (in addition to his hunting bow), and leather bracers and boots as his only armor, and I was using potions. But it wasn't quite challenging enough-bandits and such could still be dealt with fairly well, and the health that I lost could easily be restored with a potion or two. So I restricted him to hide armor, 1 dagger, no potions, etc.

If you're interested in a sort of "peasant challenge," I can post my restrictions. They may make it exceedingly boring before long, but I think it's worth a try to see what it's like NOT being the hero of everyone.
Old 21 Dec 12, 03:06
General
United_States

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post

It's in Winterhold. No, unfortunately you cannot play any music in Skyrim. I would love it if they made that happen.
Old 21 Dec 12, 03:07
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
You cannot play instruments in the vanilla game mate - you can get a mod via the Steam workshop which allows you to make and play instruments- the lute, the drum and the flute. Otherwise they're just dead weight. With the mod you even get 'battle' versions which have effects in combat.

You'll find the mage college in Winterhold sir - along the coast between Danwstar and Windhelm, the bards college is indeed in Solitude
Wow, is that mod also for XBox?
Old 21 Dec 12, 03:09
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Well I decided to enact some more restrictions on Avar, to make him even more like a peasant, prospector, hunter, and a bit of a blacksmith.

Previously, he had a steel sword as his weapon (in addition to his hunting bow), and leather bracers and boots as his only armor, and I was using potions. But it wasn't quite challenging enough-bandits and such could still be dealt with fairly well, and the health that I lost could easily be restored with a potion or two. So I restricted him to hide armor, 1 dagger, no potions, etc.

If you're interested in a sort of "peasant challenge," I can post my restrictions. They may make it exceedingly boring before long, but I think it's worth a try to see what it's like NOT being the hero of everyone.
I had the mad chef build with an enchanted chef outfit and poufy hat with Daedric dagger/kitchen knife and staff of firebolts. I also have the archer wench with enchanted tavern dress for max archery bonus.
Old 21 Dec 12, 06:47
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
Wow, is that mod also for XBox?
I don't think so, no

PC Gaming Master Race strikes again!

[he said nervously awaiting his many pretty mods to conflict and crash the game necessitating a fresh installation and a jettison of all mods]

I'm surprised something like that wasn't included in Hearthfire though, which I know is for Xbox (but not PS3), it seems fairly simple to do. Bethesda dragging their heels most like and the fans pick up the ball and get some stuff done.
Old 21 Dec 12, 10:49
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post

[he said nervously awaiting his many pretty mods to conflict and crash the game necessitating a fresh installation and a jettison of all mods]
You don't have to be that drastic. All you have to do is unsubscribe to the mod or mods. If you know what culprit is causing the crash, just unsubscribe to it and the game will work properly; if not then just unsubscibe the lot of them then resubscribe one at a time; the game doesn't need to be 'fresh' reinstalled.

Paul
Old 21 Dec 12, 12:03
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
You don't have to be that drastic. All you have to do is unsubscribe to the mod or mods. If you know what culprit is causing the crash, just unsubscribe to it and the game will work properly; if not then just unsubscibe the lot of them then resubscribe one at a time; the game doesn't need to be 'fresh' reinstalled.

Paul
Even if there's some serious buggeration going on? (do the mods not effect any game files?) I have only had one unexpected crash outside of a known bug (the one where you go to the castle on the hill to solve the nightmare/dream/sleep troubles of the citizens of Dawnstar), and as it hasn't repeated since, I haven't had to take any action thus far -

^__^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot7.jpg (124.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Selous; 21 Dec 12 at 15:46..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!