HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 19 Dec 12, 03:35
First Lieutenant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99]
I blame the Americans.

FMs original first point:
"To help acquire and support a future German World Empire".

Ten years ago in Die Zeit there was a full-page article based, so it was claimed, on documents and letters in the military archives in Freiburg by Henning Seitz, describing German plans for an attack on US eastern seaports.

The idea which picked up steam in winter 1897/8 was to seize key ports like Norfolk,Hampton Roads, and Norfolk News, and extract from the USA a "free hand" in Atlantic and Pacific. The Kaiser felt humiliated by the manner in which Bismark sensibly backed away from any conflict with the US over Samoa in 1889; even worse was when 5 German cruisers sent as "neutral observers" were slapped around by Dewey as he blockaded the Philippine ports, regarding them as potential opponents and not neutrals. No Spanish spoils for Germany either.

If Wilhelm wanted a world empire and to go head-to-toe with the US as a starter then a big fleet was a pre-requisite.

The plans for a lightning strike on the US were kicked around for about ten years, and involved various modifications, including a direct assault on New York, and the seizure of Puerto Rico and Culebra to control a future transoceanic canal. (fantasies opposed consistently by Schlieffen).

The plan (in its third version) was finally dropped in 1906, and one of the reasons was the show of force by the US Fleet in 1903, when Britain, Italy and Germany decided to blockade Venezuela to enforce debt repayments. This time around Dewey turned up with 54 warships as a "neutral observer", and the Europeans backed down. Even the Kaiser got the message. So evidently did Roosevelt and Dewey - they now regarded Germany as the next probable enemy in war.

Interesting tale.
Old 19 Dec 12, 03:50
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickuru View Post
The construction of the High Seas Fleet, had been proposed by 1896. This is from Steinberg, page 19. The proposal to build a fleet of cruisers had been rejected by the Reichstag. Tirpitz wrote to Admiral Gustav Freiherr von Senden Bibran as follows:

"Our representation in the Reichstag and the whole situation could hardly have been more unfortunate. The State Secretary of the Foreign Ministry represents the Navy, blows a fanfare for cruisers and shoots at sparrows with his biggest guns. What sort of powder will impress the Reichstag later when the really serious demands are made?"

The High Seas Fleet had been planned since before 1896, so the data from Jane's Fighting Ships of1894 is relevant.

The High Seas Fleet did not suddenly appear like a comet in 1906. Naval warfare preparation was already at work.
There's nothing here that really conflicts with what I've already posted. Berghahn quotes from Tirpitz, referring to an exchange of letters in 1895. The Navy Bills of 1898 and 1900 didn't come out of nowhere, nothing of that scale ever does. They had to be justified and Berghahn makes a good fist of explaining how that was done.
Quote:
Nice to be insulting and sarcastic, and taking no heed or even considering opinions other than your own.
It is, although I wasn't being. I was asking about the relevance of the story regarding the 'miracle' (something usually associated with divine intervention) of how records survived! You seem rather sensitive when challenged, even to the point of claiming that no-one likes your posts! Relax a little, we're not on different sides.
Old 19 Dec 12, 06:07
General of the Forums
EU

Looking at the specifications of the early German battleships it's striking that there is a five year gap between the commissioning of the first four 'Brandenburg' class vessels in 1890 and the first two of the subsequent 'Kaiser Friedrich' class (which was the last commissioned prior to the 1898 Bill).

http://www.german-navy.de/hochseeflo...ips/index.html

Compare that to the commissioning rate subsequently

1898 - 3
1899 - 3
1900 - 2
1901 - 2
1902 - 3
1903 - 1
1904 - 2
1905 - 2

Which effectively takes us to the end of the pre-dreadnought era.
Old 19 Dec 12, 06:38
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Nice to be insulting and sarcastic, and taking no heed or even considering opinions other than your own.
You're all brittle like a brandy snap Nick, relax squire
FM's just critiquing the various points made, not having a go at you personally. In my opinion he's much on the money, for reasons I've outlined elsewhere on this forum in recent threads. I haven't seen a rebuttal of those points on the High Seas Fleet I made
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Old 19 Dec 12, 07:54
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
FMs original first point:
"To help acquire and support a future German World Empire".

Ten years ago in Die Zeit there was a full-page article based, so it was claimed, on documents and letters in the military archives in Freiburg by Henning Seitz, describing German plans for an attack on US eastern seaports.....

Interesting tale.
I saw the article, the original 'plan' was written by a Navy lieutenant which is hardly a serious threat.
-Anonymous US Army logistician
Old 19 Dec 12, 14:56
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Monty View Post
Codswallop. The so-called 'super-dreadnoughts' with the oil-fired steam turbines were the 'Queen Elizabeth Class' not the 13.5" armed dreadnoughts you refer to. As has been pointed out before, whilst the German guns were of a smaller calibre they had a greater muzzle velocity, additionally the ships were more heavily armoured and had superior fire control systems. Sorry to point out these inconvenient facts.

Codswallop! as you term my facts, so I shall term yours. The Orion, King George V and Benbow classes were termed superdreadnoughts in 1911 with their 10 13.5 inch calibre guns. This designation was necesary for political purposes to get the naval bills passed an apathetic Parliament. The term superdreadnoughts to refer to the Queen Elizabeth, Barham, Malaya, Valiant and the Warspite only started in 1915, with the commisioning of this class.

Even here you are at variance with the facts. Germany rejected British overtures for an 'Entente' despite several British efforts at the end of the 19th Century. Given the size and openly stated object of the HSF the British can hardly have been said to have 'overreacted'.

Nope, an agreement of Britain having staggered 4 battleships a year and then 3 battleships per year, while Germany alternated 2 battleships per year and 1 battleship per year, was violated by England. "We want eight and we won't wait" was the war cry of the Naval lobby at the time.

Nope. Check the alliance systems from the War of Austrian Succession and the subsequent Seven Years War and note which side Prussia is on in one vis-a-vis Britain compared with the other. History, my friend, is complex and rarely linear.
Ever heard of the Napoleonic wars?
Old 19 Dec 12, 16:05
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
Ever heard of the Napoleonic wars?
Prussia fights the French 1806-7 then has a large contingent in the invasion of Russia and finally is 'bought' by the British who subsidise the cost of the army.

As for the 'super-dreadnoughts', I'll stick to my guns given that convention has these as being the QE's. But I understand why you'd want to refer to the 13.5" dreadnoughts as 'Super'. I'm sure we can swap 'codswallops' like gentleman! (See, that's the spirit, fight fire with fire!)

I've been looking at the battleship lists for the British in the 'Dreadnought' era and I can't find any year that eight were commissioned, laid down, or launched. 1912 and 1913 seem pretty busy but total construction for that era, at least to the start of the war, comes to 26 (including the QEs) against the German 19 (including 'Baden' and 'Bayern'). Note I've just totted up from the lists so my figures could be slightly out. Also note I've not included the battle-cruisers.
Old 20 Dec 12, 05:09
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Quote:

The High Seas Fleet had been planned since before 1896, so the data from Jane's Fighting Ships of1894 is relevant.
It's relevant for some context but it doesn't account for the Naval Laws which caused Britain's ire, thus it's of reduced relevance compared to those articles.
If you're trying to examine cause and effect you will not find too much cause before a certain time, but plenty after it. That time is the 1900 - 1910 period of German fleet building, the building being the cause, the effect being British ship building in earnest to counter act it.
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Old 20 Dec 12, 06:55
First Lieutenant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99] GreenTiger is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
I saw the article, the original 'plan' was written by a Navy lieutenant which is hardly a serious threat.
Maybe.

But it seems that the idea was taken seriously by the top German naval brass, developed and refined to an extent that Schlieffen got involved to try to kill it.

However Im not planning to drive any time soon 3 hours down the autobahn to Freiburg to check out the original docs. Ill leave that to Herr Hof on his next vacation.
Old 20 Dec 12, 08:10
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100] Javaman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
Maybe.

But it seems that the idea was taken seriously by the top German naval brass, developed and refined to an extent that Schlieffen got involved to try to kill it.

However Im not planning to drive any time soon 3 hours down the autobahn to Freiburg to check out the original docs. Ill leave that to Herr Hof on his next vacation.
Sounds interesting if not somewhat outlandish. Without looking at the individual capabilities of German warships, wouldn't the US East coast be out of operating range for any German battleships of that era? The idea of seriously considering an attack that far away with no experience in major naval or amphibious warfare on a shoestring seems pretty remote at best. I'd love to see more though.
-Anonymous US Army logistician
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Dec 12, 12:15
General of the Forums
New_Zealand
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Sounds interesting if not somewhat outlandish. Without looking at the individual capabilities of German warships, wouldn't the US East coast be out of operating range for any German battleships of that era? The idea of seriously considering an attack that far away with no experience in major naval or amphibious warfare on a shoestring seems pretty remote at best. I'd love to see more though.
Since when has reality been a basis for military planning?
Old 20 Dec 12, 13:29
Colonel
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
The reason why Germany elected to get into an arms race is something that still seems to be an open question. Massie's work very much suggests that it was an issue of national dignity rather than anything practical. Remember during this general era the USA invested buckets of loot in building Roosevelt's Great White Fleet so not having a big boat navy would probably have been intolorble to an econonmically and politically successful Germany.

It has been sugested in other threads that the German ships were far less able to operate for long periods at sea and was not designed as a global strike force unlikew the Royal Navy. This suggests that is ws intended as a European based force rather than an expression of German global imperialism.
Old 20 Dec 12, 14:54
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I've read on this plan. I should be able to cite the book. I seem to recall that it was lower-level planning associated with one of the naval departments responsible for strategic planning. The army considered it ASB and I seem to recall the whole thing was ordered stopped. Don't think the Kaiser had anything to do with it.
Old 21 Dec 12, 08:05
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99]
This from Johnathan Steinberg's Yesterday's Deterrent: The German naval bill was resoundingly rejected in March of 1897. Admiral Hollman, the State Secretary of the Imperial Naval Office lost his job because of this.

Admiral Hollman had been an advocate of cruisers and torpedo boats. "As long as I stand here, no boundless plans (i.e. no battleships) will be proposed". Admiral Tirpitz who took over, had other ideas. He was a consumate politician and succeeded in getting his first naval bill passed in 1898.

Last edited by Nickuru; 21 Dec 12 at 08:22.. Reason: spelling
Old 21 Dec 12, 11:13
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Indeed. Tirpitz and the Kaiser wanted a "prestige" fleet, not a fleet that would actually be of value to Germany's needs.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!