HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider Hosting > RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II

Notices and Announcements

RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II Discuss the Russian armed forces in World War II. Hosted by our resident Russian expert, AMVAS. Please visit his RKKA in WW2 Website.

Old 31 Aug 12, 14:52
RKKA in World War II Forum CO
Russia
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 

amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dutch View Post
Thanks for the reply. This is possible. The context of the abbrev was дшг спeтсназ
"дшг спецназ" can stay for "landing-assault party of the special destination troops"
Old 01 Sep 12, 01:46
Lance Corporal
Netherlands
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Crazy Dutch is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvas View Post
"дшг спецназ" can stay for "landing-assault party of the special destination troops"
Thanks for the reply

Jo van der Pluym
Crazy Dutch
Old 17 Nov 12, 13:19
Staff Sergeant
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

leclerc1944 is on the path to success [1-99]
В.С. ????

Hi, what meaning this abreviation into a sentence?

http://narodna.pravda.com.ua/rus/history/4d769d0f22756/

This is link, who are used into multiple sentence this " В.С."
can this are the name from reporter, or from Writer?
so this "V.S." abbreviating, is used each time into sentence which content are into Bracket.

Thank's for all help.
Old 17 Nov 12, 15:05
Russia

amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200] amvas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leclerc1944 View Post
Hi, what meaning this abreviation into a sentence?

http://narodna.pravda.com.ua/rus/history/4d769d0f22756/

This is link, who are used into multiple sentence this " В.С."
can this are the name from reporter, or from Writer?
so this "V.S." abbreviating, is used each time into sentence which content are into Bracket.

Thank's for all help.
Usually it's a mark for a person who makes this comment. Maybe it's not a writer, but a reporter?
I can see only one name and his initials are not V.S.
Old 17 Nov 12, 15:36
Staff Sergeant
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

leclerc1944 is on the path to success [1-99]
spasibo Amvas.
Sponsored Links

Old 15 Dec 12, 04:44
Banned
United_States

Raptor has a little shameless behaviour in the past [-1 to -99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
Ok, thanks Andrey

here's how I translate that:

The division operated without the motorized rifle and artillery regiments having on hand only the two tank regiments since 6th Army HQ placed the motorized rifle regiment in its reserve as for the artillery regiment, not having its full complement of tractors, it had half of its equipment staying in the winter quarters while the remaining guns were gradually abandoned because of the technical malfunctions [problems] and breakdowns of the available tractors. Thus, the tanks were devoid of artillery, infantry and, particularly, aviation support.

(I know I changed the sentences a bit too much for some people's taste...)

So, if the context is during the border battles in 1941, it only means that they stayed in the barracks, well in the rear, or rather, in the original position of the division?
Trigger Happy,

Damn good job. Couldn't do any better myself. Andrey is also spot on.

Folks, you can rely on TH and Andrey for any of their future translations, as far as I'm concerned.

Raptor.
Old 15 Dec 12, 04:50
Banned
United_States

Raptor has a little shameless behaviour in the past [-1 to -99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
"П", "п" - analogue of Latin "p".

"И", "u" - analogue of Latin "i".

"Й" - hmmm... usually it is "i" or "y"

"Н" - analogue of Latin "n"
Yep. Andrey is spot on .......as expected.
Old 15 Dec 12, 09:17
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Yep. Andrey is spot on .......as expected.

Transliteration rules
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D2%F0%...ED%E8%F6%E5%E9
Old 19 Dec 12, 06:16
Major General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500]
Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500] Scott Fraser is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Hi guys,
Perhaps if I clarify. Western Special Military District had in its VVS organization the 161st, 162nd резервный авиационный полк, which were training formations in June 1941. But when the 97th and 209th SBAPs were sent to the rear to refit they both went to the 10th запасный авиационный полк at Kamenke to refit with Pe-2s.

Does that help ?
Michel
Perhaps because when the unit was sent to refit, it was no longer available for combat, hence запасный, which can also mean "spare" or "extra". IMHO, резервный would have a more direct implication of being "part of the reserve".

Regards
Scott Fraser

A contentedly cantankerous old fart
Old 10 Nov 13, 09:20
Staff Sergeant
Russia

Backfire is on the path to success [1-99] Backfire is on the path to success [1-99] Backfire is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvas View Post
I can see only one name and his initials are not V.S.
This text appears to be an article in "Vecherny Brest" by someone named Vasily Sarychev. Hence the akronym.
Old 05 Jan 14, 11:33
Private
United_States

dusty_shelf is a balanced individual [0]
Help with Russian writing

This dollar bill belonged to a B-24 waist gunner interned by the Russians when his aircraft landed at Petropavlovsk on September 12, 1943, following an attack on the Kurile Islands. I am hoping members of the forum can help with the Russian writing on the front and back of the bill. In some instances, I have enhanced the colors to make the writing more defined.

I do not know if the Russian writing is place names or possibly proper names. Information on the American aircrews held by the Russians indicates they were moved about and so these could be locations noted on the bill.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Russian-1.jpg

Russian-3.jpg
Old 05 Jan 14, 12:01
Private
United_States

dusty_shelf is a balanced individual [0]
Help with Russian writing

I have several other places/names to submit, but due to the limit on file sizes and uploads, I cannot add any more here. I attempted to link to the images in Photobucket, but I am prompted that I must have a minimum of five posts to this forum before I can place a link in a post. Before I go to any further effort, let's see if I get a response to the two currently viewable.
Old 05 Jan 14, 12:51
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Canada
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_shelf View Post
This one says Суслов - Suslov, which would be a person's last name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_shelf View Post
This one, it looks like the first two letters would be Лё

Last edited by Skoblin; 05 Jan 14 at 12:57..
Old 05 Jan 14, 14:59
Colonel
Russia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoblin View Post
This one says Суслов - Suslov, which would be a person's last name.

This one, it looks like the first two letters would be Лё
Лёля - a girl name (Л=L).
Old 05 Jan 14, 16:30
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Canada
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egorka View Post
Лёля - a girl name (Л=L).
Good man.
Actually, the final я seems more apparent in the smaller photo than in the larger one.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!