HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 17 Dec 12, 07:23
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400]
OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400]
Please give me your thoughts on the future of Hyperwar.

We will be restarting work on adding books and other materials to Hyperwar in the next few months. Patrick's emphasis was always to have the material in HTML format. PDFs were only temporary and were to be replaced by HTML at the earliest opportunity. And, to be honest, he was a bit of a Luddite.

Today, with the increasing popularity of Kindles, Nooks, etc., and the increased availability of broadband connections the issue of file size is less and less important. When Patrick and I started this project we were using 9600 baud modems. Now I can download in one minute what it took all day to get back then, with the phone tied up in the process.

But, ultimately, it's you people, the folks who use Hyperwar, that matter, so I'm asking you, which do you prefer, HTML, PDF, or would you like us to do both?

Your thoughts, please.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 17 Dec 12, 07:37
Brigadier General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I always opt for PDF where possible.
Old 17 Dec 12, 08:12
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400] OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
I always opt for PDF where possible.
Me too, but we have one more complication I forgot in the OP. The fleet doesn't have a lot of spare bandwidth, so PDF aren't optimal for them. And, of course, places with less available bandwidth shouldn't be left out.
Old 18 Dec 12, 14:15
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Did you post link to this thread in the WWII section? That may garner more feedback.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 18 Dec 12, 15:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Sure, that's fine. Thanks.
Old 18 Dec 12, 18:51
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy H is simply cracking [600]
Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600]
Hi

To be honest my friend as long as the material is available, the format is less of a worry to me to be honest.

I will be just pleased to see new stuff appearing again

Best of luck and kindest regards
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
Old 18 Dec 12, 20:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Hi

To be honest my friend as long as the material is available, the format is less of a worry to me to be honest.

I will be just pleased to see new stuff appearing again

Best of luck and kindest regards
This is the first step in the restart. I've been going over certain things with the some folks in DC and now that's locked down and good to go. Next month I'll be calling on all the volunteers to get their input and find out where they're at with their individual projects.

I feel like a freaking manager. How did that happen?
Old 18 Dec 12, 20:32
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hyperwar is a great resource, especially for a forum such as this one.
Personally, I prefer PDFs, but if HTML is easier and uses less space, I'm good with that.
Old 18 Dec 12, 20:35
General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700]
At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700] At ease is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I have found Hyperwar to be an excellent source of documentation.

To echo Andy H anything at all is better than nothing, but for me HTML is optimal.

My thanks to those that provide it for us.

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.
Old 18 Dec 12, 20:38
General of the Forums
United_States

Everything we do in the future will have a PDF option, that is certain. What I need to look into is making the files Kindle and Nook friendly as well.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!