StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 17 Dec 12, 13:45
Corporal
United_States

Bowcaster is on the path to success [1-99] Bowcaster is on the path to success [1-99]
Sorry, a litte off track, but if the Cold War had turned hot, and the Warsaw pact countries decided to use tactical nuclear weapons, obviously NATO forces would respond. If it did not end in a full blown nuclear war and was limited only to tactical nukes, both sides would be hitting targets in the Germany/Poland area. This might have created a irradiated nuclear wall between the two forces, or possibly pockets of irradiated areas and a complicated series of paths through non-irradiated areas. Either would make an interesting war scenario. Just my opinion.

I'd like to see a game that followed through with this theory. Would be interesting to look at your options. Either charge your forces through the radiation and suffer heavy casualties, or try to find an alternative route.

Last edited by Bowcaster; 17 Dec 12 at 18:43..
Old 13 Apr 13, 15:44
Private
Poland

Stachiewicz is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutun View Post
Could you please translate the title of the map? Some details on the map origin would be also useful.
The title of these map is:
Plan of the offensive operations of the 'Northern' seaside Front.

Quote:
The whole map looks like a map for the military games, not like a strategic map.
It's a part of an operational map, signed personally by gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski.

Quote:
I dont't beleive that in the 1970s there were plans to start the war and attack Europe using Polish army etc. This seems to be the map taken out of the context. And without a context it's just a hot meal for the nowadays yellow press.
It Doesn't Matter What You Believe - facts only matter. Armies of the Warsaw Pact, due to the Soviet's strategic plans would be used as a first echelon [number of the Polish Army at that time was estimated at 1 mln soldiers] - second will be... 2 millions Russians.

Above. Part of a map showing the seizure plan of Copenhagen.

Above. Plan of the offensive operations of the 'Northern' seaside Front.
Old 15 Apr 13, 14:45
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
Combat on the Inner German Border Front

Hello
It is interesting to speculate on the weapons effects in the event of a Warsaw Pact thrust across the Inner German Border (IGB), especially in wargame scenarios.

Of course, in this instance, the focus is on tactical nuclear weapons, tho' it appears one sided with the Soviets employing them. On the other hand, there was thinking in NATO about using tac nukes, and an edition of the USArmy's 100-5 Operations manual had a graphic showing the timing need for nuclear release.

There is another perspective, though, rarely mentioned: the reality of "the electric piranha", strongpoints (usually villages) within which the NATO forces positioned their anti-tank systems. Such a reality would have likely resulted in massive, burning and exploding junk piles across the North German Plain and in the various gaps - Fulda, Chubb - which would have restricted, and severely constrained the doctrinally-directed maneuvering of the onrushing Warsaw Pact armored vehicle hordes, especially the 2nd Echelons.
RedDagger18
Old 29 Apr 13, 16:52
Recruit
Denmark

mremil is a balanced individual [0]
Hi Stachiewicz,

I don't know if you saw my post above, but I'm very interested in getting hold of a copy of the map you and Aquila are posting pictures of. Do you have a full size copy or know where I can get a hold of one?

I wanted to write you and Aquila a PM, but I guess I need a higher post count to be able to.

You can reach me at emil [at] emilryge dot dk

I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Emil
Old 07 May 13, 11:12
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDagger18 View Post
...There is another perspective, though, rarely mentioned: the reality of "the electric piranha", strongpoints (usually villages) within which the NATO forces positioned their anti-tank systems. Such a reality would have likely resulted in massive, burning and exploding junk piles across the North German Plain and in the various gaps - Fulda, Chubb - which would have restricted, and severely constrained the doctrinally-directed maneuvering of the onrushing Warsaw Pact armored vehicle hordes, especially the 2nd Echelons.
RedDagger18
NATO plans, short of nukes and bio/chem weapons were something of a joke. There was no way NATO could have had the means in the 50s-early 80s of stopping a Soviet attack. Since Soviet doctrine called for used of full NBC first strike options the NATO defences would ahve been in shreds with no hope of reinforcement.

The WP forces in the north would have been on the Rhine in days and encircling the centre soon after if NATO did not bolt for French border. NATO's collapse would follow soon after. NATO's only hope was for an immediate retaliation both on the battlefield and on line of cimmunication points all the way back to Minsk - at that point its "end of days"

"Fight like hell for three days then blow up the world" - that's how we put itback in the day.

Thanksfully the SU never had any real intention of attacking the west, being more worried about a NATO strike as they were.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.
Sponsored Links

Old 15 May 13, 21:55
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]

What a coincidence. That looks exactly like one of the maps I drew on in my 9th Grd social studies textbook.
As a matter of fact, let me go check something real quick......
.OMG, that is my map! The Poles stole my invasion plans!!
Old 30 May 13, 05:10
Second Lieutenant
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sgt.Pop is on the path to success [1-99] Sgt.Pop is on the path to success [1-99] Sgt.Pop is on the path to success [1-99] Sgt.Pop is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mremil View Post
Hi Stachiewicz,

I don't know if you saw my post above, but I'm very interested in getting hold of a copy of the map you and Aquila are posting pictures of. Do you have a full size copy or know where I can get a hold of one?

I wanted to write you and Aquila a PM, but I guess I need a higher post count to be able to.

You can reach me at emil [at] emilryge dot dk

I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Emil
By chance I can push this thread a bit:
The magazine you re looking for is "Polska Zbrojna" number 18-19 (744-745) of May 1st 2011.
Polska Zbrojna site is here: http://www.polska-zbrojna.pl/home/magazineview
And their contact e-mail: sekretariat@zbrojni.pl
Old 08 Jun 13, 20:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
That it calls for the use of what looks like half a dozen nukes (the red bombs) is a bit scary. Looks like the Warsaw Pact and USSR were going to go nuclear early and in a big way.
Old 31 Oct 13, 00:13
Brigadier General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
Maps like that are the reason I love history and play wargames.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!