StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 15 Dec 12, 21:16
Recruit
United_States

Aristo is on the path to success [1-99]
Starting Napoleonics - Black Powder

Hello! I've been wanting to start out Napoleonic wargaming and I've been looking at trying Black Powder to start. Has anyone else played using the rules? I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, that sort of thing.

In a more general context, I've been having trouble deciding what army to collect first. I'll probably end up collecting the French and one of the coalition nations, because I don't have any friends who are currently into historicals. I've got a soft sport for Russia and Austria and I'm looking at 1812 and afterwards.

I'd appreciate any input you have!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Dec 12, 20:23
First Lieutenant
New_Zealand
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99]
My best advice is to check out some of the Napoleonic wargaming forums, most rule sets will have forums supporting them.
Black powder is a good set, but it really depends on the level of wargaming you intend to get into.

As for armies well they all should have their good and bad sides and in the end it comes down to your own preference. Just remember making an army is a big project and requires time in learning uniforms and the time to paint your new recruits.

Napoleonic wargaming is a great hobby, and in many parts of the world it is making a come back after going through a quiet spell, I have been with Napoleonic's for over 40 years and still get the same buzz in seeing armies on the table as I did on day one.

Good luck and most import of all have fun.

Dont forget the wargamers lament

"dont throw a 1".
Old 07 Jan 13, 14:37
Major
Germany

rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I tried the rules a year ago or so, did not play very much, however they were fun, especially the command system...

However, the rules cover a wide range, from the War of the Spanish Succession to the Crimean War, that is why the rules are not very "depth".

So if you want a fast playing fun game, I recommend the rules!

Besides, the layout of the rulebook ist just awesome!

"Kerls, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!