HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 30 Jan 12, 16:12
Major
United_States

mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
ETW was dreadful; truly dreadful. NTW tried to correct the problems, but it was only marginally better. S2TW was pretty good, but I am waiting patiently for the EB II mod which will give a much needed kick to the early Roman Imperial era based upon the MTW2 engine.

Yeah, me too...dont hold your breath. What, are we on year 3 now of this mod? Rome II will be out first.
Old 04 Feb 12, 04:33
Sergeant Major
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99] Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99] Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99] Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post
Not to ramble on, but I've actually found the Empire total war campaign to be rather dull even with esteemed mods (Darthmod, Ultimate Commander, etc.) The AI offers barely any military resistance to your invasions besides the regular armed populace (who get very boring after a while!) Even your monetary difficulty in the game will usually only last the first 10-15 turns; so Empire, although it provides a grand scope of a campaign, really doesn't offer much gameplay variety. Napoleon offers distinct challenges when you invade an enemy province (especially at harder difficulties) and the issues of happiness and costliness of your provinces prove pretty tough to manage; making for interesting gameplay.

By the way, let me know if/when you've bought something...so I'm not just rambling for no reason But otherwise I'm happy to help.
I bought Empire-Total War (NTW was way in the city and I couldn't be bothered to go there or waste my money on a train ticket) and modded it with Darthmod. With ETW being easier than NTW, nevertheless, I found the game to be very difficult. I put the setting on hard and I'm struggling to finish chapter three in RTI. The British just keep on attacking from both sides and my infantry lacks the square formation option to defeat enemy cavalry. When I concentrate my forces to attack Maine and drive the Britons out from there, I get invaded from the south by the Brits in New York and lose Boston. The military alliances are useless too; they never help. I tried concentrating on building my navy and blockading the Brits until they are bankrupt, but I keep on getting repulsed. Any advice? And is there any way to speed up the video of the other nations' turns? I can't be bothered looking at them.

Thanks.
Old 04 Feb 12, 05:24
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikhun View Post
I bought Empire-Total War (NTW was way in the city and I couldn't be bothered to go there or waste my money on a train ticket) and modded it with Darthmod. With ETW being easier than NTW, nevertheless, I found the game to be very difficult. I put the setting on hard and I'm struggling to finish chapter three in RTI. The British just keep on attacking from both sides and my infantry lacks the square formation option to defeat enemy cavalry. When I concentrate my forces to attack Maine and drive the Britons out from there, I get invaded from the south by the Brits in New York and lose Boston. The military alliances are useless too; they never help. I tried concentrating on building my navy and blockading the Brits until they are bankrupt, but I keep on getting repulsed. Any advice? And is there any way to speed up the video of the other nations' turns? I can't be bothered looking at them.

Thanks.
If you're having trouble on the battlefield, go into quick battles and practice a bit. Same goes for naval fights. You'll want to focus on getting square formation and fire by rank as soon as you can. Oh and tax to the max without getting your own people in (another) revolution against you.

TWR center forums should be able to help give you some advice as well. Hope you enjoy playing!

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 04 Feb 12, 14:16
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
I was surprised by the mods available to both ETW and NTW. Worth a look for anyone frustrated with the original games. There is even a Roman time period beta mod for ETW called Roma Victrix.

Released ETW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1071

Beta ETW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1519

Released NTW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1432

Beta NTW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1528

The modification community and the dedication individuals spend tweaking the games is the best part of the Total War series. I hope to see a EB 3 mod for Shogun 2.

As far as Rome 2 Total War goes I feel Creative Assembly should hire the developers of the RTW mods; Europa Barbarorum, Rome Total Realism and Roma Surrectum, SPQR and Invasio Barbarorum. Combine them to work on a two game R2TW that fans want, not an updated vanilla RTW with all its flaws, one for early Roman Republic to early Empire and one for the middle to late Roman Empire. Perhaps even a third one focusing on the the Eastern Roman Empire up to the Crusades.

Is it me or does M2TW bore anyone else? I liked MTW much more.

Britannia Invasion:
Chief Meurig, son of Frtigern of the Silures
Old 04 Feb 12, 14:41
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
I was surprised by the mods available to both ETW and NTW. Worth a look for anyone frustrated with the original games. There is even a Roman time period beta mod for ETW called Roma Victrix.

Released ETW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1071

Beta ETW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1519

Released NTW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1432

Beta NTW mods:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1528

The modification community and the dedication individuals spend tweaking the games is the best part of the Total War series. I hope to see a EB 3 mod for Shogun 2.

As far as Rome 2 Total War goes I feel Creative Assembly should hire the developers of the RTW mods; Europa Barbarorum, Rome Total Realism and Roma Surrectum, SPQR and Invasio Barbarorum. Combine them to work on a two game R2TW that fans want, not an updated vanilla RTW with all its flaws, one for early Roman Republic to early Empire and one for the middle to late Roman Empire. Perhaps even a third one focusing on the the Eastern Roman Empire up to the Crusades.

Is it me or does M2TW bore anyone else? I liked MTW much more.
Personally Vanilla M2TW is my favorite total war yet, and I was a big fan of the first medieval (with the Viking Invasion expansion). You really have to be into the time period I suppose...

If you're gonna go for a mod for Napoleon, I'd recommend "Order of War". The Great War mod is far too unrealistic and although Napoleon Total Factions offers an expanded grand campaign variety, the bugs (especially regarding diplomacy) are pretty horrendous.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Feb 12, 10:18
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99]
I use the NTW3 mod plus a few others plus my own personal modifications. What I get is:

- Fog of war
- Realistic marching Speeds
- Realistic morale
- Realistic fatigue
- Realistic muskets
- Great sound effects
- Amazing smoke effects
- Enemy AI that fights well

Then I turn off the minimap and turn off unit flags and damn, it's a fairly realistic game!
Old 20 May 12, 04:50
Lance Corporal
United_States

Crows eye is on the path to success [1-99]
not

i've never really been totally sold on the use of guns in the newer total war games, i cant say its not good, but i prefer it with swords, spears, and bows
Old 23 Aug 12, 09:58
Lance Corporal
United_States

TankMaster is on the path to success [1-99]
I do have empire tw I'm working on shogun 2 and a new graphics card too.
Old 23 Aug 12, 10:00
Lance Corporal
United_States

TankMaster is on the path to success [1-99]
napoleon tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJsDad View Post
Do either ETW or NTW require Steam to play the single player game. If I purchase a boxed version, do I still need a Steam account to play?

Well I think so but maybe not.
Old 20 Sep 12, 14:06
Private
United_States

al42 is a balanced individual [0]
You do need steam to play any total war game unfortunatly. I play NTW with a mod. NTW3 very good mod with a welcoming community of players as well
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=525874

Last edited by al42; 20 Sep 12 at 14:28..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!