HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 30 Jan 12, 19:37
Recruit
United_States

OverRunner is on the path to success [1-99]
Back in the saddle...looking for action

First off I would like to just say hello to all the gamers. I am a life long gamer who spent many years playing Panzer General and Close Combat(all versions,mods etc etc). I know have free time again and a very nice new laptop. Through some simple searching i came across Theater of War as maybe my new game to get into. I figured this would be the place to come and ask the experts as to where I should invest my next few hundred gaming hours lol. I have always enjoyed long campaigns with units/troops that gain exp and stay with you from scenario to scenario. Historically accurate is nice, but superior play that creates a diff historical path is great too! Graphics are not so important but having a machine that doesnt restrict my options has me pretty excited. Would love to hear some opinions.

thanks in advance
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 31 Jan 12, 08:53
Colonel
United_States

Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200]
Welcome to the Armchair General forums, OverRunner.

If you liked playing Panzer General, I would suggest that you have a look at Panzer Corps. And if you feel the urge to play Panzer General II you can buy an updated version of it that will work on your new laptop from Good Old Games for $9.99 U.S.

I haven't played most of the "latest and greatest" PC games, so I will leave it to others to recommend some of those. Digital downloads are very popular these days and retail boxed games are sometimes hard to find. If you prefer the latter, I suggest you have a look at the selection at the NWS Online Gaming Store.

If you are interested in online play, the latest craze is the Free-to-Play models which are downloaded and played free of charge. The gaming experience varies from game to game, but if you like tank games I heartily recommend World of Tanks.

Good luck! I hope that helps you out.
Old 31 Jan 12, 10:15
Recruit
United_States

OverRunner is on the path to success [1-99]
thanks

info is greatly appreciated.....will look into those
thanks for the welcome
Old 31 Jan 12, 12:48
General of the Forums
Israel
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Golani has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
2 things that you'll never regret:

1) Did you check out the re-releases of Close Combat? some are real nice, especially ABTF remake- Last Stand Arnhem.

2) The new versions of Combat Mission (x2) on it's 2 'packages'
- The modern version "Shock Force" that simulates an invasion to Syria, U.S Army, Marines, British forces and NATO.

- The WWII version- "Battle for Normandy", so far only the American game was released, but the Canadian one is right around the corner.
Old 22 Aug 12, 10:53
Captain
Croatia

Hansika is on the path to success [1-99] Hansika is on the path to success [1-99] Hansika is on the path to success [1-99] Hansika is on the path to success [1-99]
Try panzer general forever or panzer korps...calssic but really good if you are modern guy try men of war.

Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.
Old 22 Aug 12, 14:32
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
Have you seen Men of War? There are expansions too: Men of War: Red Tide, Assault Squad, Vietnam, and Condemned Heroes.

Britannia Invasion:
Chief Meurig, son of Frtigern of the Silures

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!