HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 21 Mar 12, 06:34
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
LOL, sure got a "chuckle" out of the above. May as well have just worn your "Rank" on your helmet and collars along with the other "bling". RTO as a "shadow", CAR-15; you lived dangerously.

Oh, I get it, you's a "Ranger".

Keep the stories coming Ranger, I love them

Ah, but you have to remember, my friend, that the only people who carried CAR-15s were the serious laddybucks, eh?

{> Sorry, Boonie, I forgot how to reduce the size. Es tut mir leid, eh? <}

And you're gonna stand there and tell me with a straight face that you didn't have an "aiming post" following around you (and occasionally tugging at your trou and saying, "Sir, Please get down! you're drawing fire!!!"

Take care bro'...

Jimbo

Old 21 Mar 12, 07:51
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Dick View Post
Re comment 1212, saying, "you's a Ranger."

It's a pleasure, Ranger Jim, having another "Snake-Eater" posting on this forum. I'm a product of Ranger Class 1-60, having been awarded my prized black and gold tab on 10SEP60. When were you tabbed?

BTW, I've always enjoyed having been the target [along with many others] of the annoying stories/jokes that constantly floated around Benning concerning snake-eating Rangers. Especially the really clever ones like, "Why do all Rangers have flat foreheads?" and "How can you tell the difference between a Ranger's wife and a pig?" Then there was the one about all Ranges having to wear a patch over their right eye. The punch line had something to do with a suggested lack of body coordination and getting their thumb stuck in their eye while saluting.

Interesting background story about the M-15. Being with MACV and assigned to a small, 5-man district advisory team, we were issued old, WW II, M-2 Carbines. 30-Cal ammo was available through the VNese supply system, so we easily resupplied through this source. We all despised the 15-round magazines, and willingly traded our few valuable possessions to get our hands on the 30-rounders. Two of these taped together offered a fair amount of firepower. Also, a number of the more remotely located district 5-man teams were being overrun and MACV didn't want the further loss of M-16 falling into VC hands.

Take good care - - - - -

Ranger Dick,

Sir, I stand in awe at your class number! You're the first post-Korea/pre-Vietnam Ranger I've ever met....

I'm class of 9/67 and graduated on 28JUN67 ("... somewhere on the Southern Front...")

I'm looking forward to talking more, but this isn't the proper venue. I'll PM you, eh?

I will also mention that I have a photocopy of "Implications of Ranger Training for Fighter Prediction", Peres, Sherwood H., Oct 1959.
And eventually, I'll scan it and donate the copy to the Museum.

Ah, and here's one for you... How do you know when a Ranger Patrol has been through your back yard?

RLTW!
And Stay Safe

Ranger Jim
#9/67

Old 21 Mar 12, 09:19
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
And you're gonna stand there and tell me with a straight face that you didn't have an "aiming post" following around you (and occasionally tugging at your trou and saying, "Sir, Please get down! you're drawing fire!!!"
Oh, how true!

I wasn't skilled enough to coordinate my Platoon with my face in the mud. My Mom always accused me of being too curious.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 22 Mar 12, 06:46
Recruit
United_States

sgt1 steve is a balanced individual [0]
was that town/villiage about 4 mi. ne of fsb mole city?
Old 01 Apr 12, 16:31
First Lieutenant
United_States

Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99]

People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election. - Otto Von Bismarck

"It is always easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler
Old 01 Apr 12, 16:35
Colonel
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300]

Flying at dawn, just over the jungle foliage, U.S. C-123 aircraft spray concentrated defoliant along power lines running between Saigon and Dalat in South Vietnam, early in August 1963. The planes were flying about 130 miles per hour over steep, hilly terrain, much of it believed infiltrated by the Viet Cong. (AP Photo/Horst Faas)

-- RR
Old 14 Apr 12, 12:43
Colonel
United_States

RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300]

Kit Carson scout testing weakness of defenses, FSB Professional, 1971.
[Photo: Michael Burnes]

-- RR
Old 21 Apr 12, 17:43
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Nice collection of photos - North Vietnam, c. 1973.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/134...7628413672853/

Love the children.

Sidewinder
Old 09 May 12, 19:57
Colonel
United_States

What's for Dinner?

Old 11 May 12, 11:38
Recruit
Germany

Leo Johnson is on the path to success [1-99]
I thought this is worth to do my first post on ACG:

unfortunately i can't put in the link because this is my first posting, so check google:
spiegel+fotostrecke+horst faas
klick the first link, scroll down and klick "Horst Faas ist tot"

maybe someone can put in the link.

it shows some pictures from pulitzer price winner Horst Faas who died today.
in case you need translation of the subtitles just let me know.

i'm reading here almost 2 years and have to say that i learned a lot!
thanks gents, especially to the vets!

Last edited by Leo Johnson; 11 May 12 at 12:10..
Sponsored Links

Old 12 May 12, 13:26
Sergeant Major
Spain
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Johnson View Post

maybe someone can put in the link.
Fotos

Old 14 May 12, 11:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500]
dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500] dgfred is a jewel in the rough [500]
Nice pics... thanks!
Old 16 May 12, 06:25
Recruit
Germany

Leo Johnson is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casyd View Post
[
gracias!
Old 16 May 12, 16:41
Colonel
United_States

Smoking Section

Let's face it, pipes were just plain everywhere in Radio Research! RU-6 ARDF pilot, headed home from a mission, enjoys a bowl.
[Photo: Robert Flanagan, 3rd RRU]

-- RR
Old 18 May 12, 16:01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I switched to a pipe after a cigarette attracted some bullets late one night.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!