HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 24 Jan 12, 19:07
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I'm in agreement about the basic configuration. From the condition, rust, deteriorated gasket between the gun tube & turret embrasure, and hatches/ports ajar it may be a monument or exterior display. Ships supstructure & other expected items are entirely missing from the background.

Am awaiting info from the source of the photo
Old 23 Mar 12, 08:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700] Carl Schwamberg is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The naval gun in the turret was of course the Mk30, Mod1 5"/38. Not a great mystery, but the person originally posting the photo was curious about the box on top of the barrel. That was settles satifactoriy.

Meanwhile I dont remember this one being pined down. Search about a bit myself but it eludes me, I also have a uncomfortable feeling I knew the answer many years ago. Any fresh inspiration?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery.jpg (70.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 31 Mar 12, 22:15
First Lieutenant
United_States

Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
The naval gun in the turret was of course the Mk30, Mod1 5"/38. Not a great mystery, but the person originally posting the photo was curious about the box on top of the barrel. That was settles satifactoriy.

Meanwhile I dont remember this one being pined down. Search about a bit myself but it eludes me, I also have a uncomfortable feeling I knew the answer many years ago. Any fresh inspiration?
Is that a picture of a French 75 or a German 77mm field gun?
Old 01 Apr 12, 00:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Neither, tho it was directly derived from the French 75. Since I posted the question here Ralph Lovett guided me to the correct 'provenance of that relic.

The cannon and recoil assembly are from the US M1897A2. That was a interwar moderization of the original US M1897, which was a copy of the famous old French 75. The A2 was intended for modern motorized artillery & had solid disc wheels with pneumatic tires, The trail was modified for vehicle vs horse draught. The recoil group was changed about for a higher rate of fire according to Lovett. Other sources do not give a reason. The cannon in my photo was remodified after WWII as a "salute" gun for parades and ceremonies. According to Lovett some had locally made shields cobbled together to mimic the old M1897 gun shields.
Old 01 Apr 12, 10:54
First Lieutenant
United_States

Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99] Vassilli is on the path to success [1-99]
Okay, because I thought I saw some of that French 75 look to it.
Old 01 Apr 12, 12:51
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

You were correct, there is "some", but the US Army changed many things. The breech, gun tube, and perhaps the wheels are are the only parts from the French design.
Old 03 Apr 12, 22:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

This one came out of storage & back to its pad in the local park. I've other views of the rear if anyone needs it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (69.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 09 Apr 12, 21:39
Sergeant Major
United_States

NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
This one came out of storage & back to its pad in the local park. I've other views of the rear if anyone needs it.
10.5 cm Feldhaubitze 98/09
Old 13 Apr 12, 07:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

There is a plaque on it identifiying it as a donation from the French nation ect...

This photo we have tentatively identified as a US made M1908, but I've not any clear front views of that cannon for a good match. What say the judges here?
Old 14 Apr 12, 18:08
Sergeant Major
United_States

NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99] NoPref is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPref View Post
10.5 cm Feldhaubitze 98/09
Quote:
There is a plaque on it identifiying it as a donation from the French nation ect...

This photo we have tentatively identified as a US made M1908, but I've not any clear front views of that cannon for a good match. What say the judges here?
The howitzer you posted in #697 is definitely a German 10.5 cm Feldhaubitze 98/09. Was originally a rigid mount in 1898, then improved with a recoil mechanism that was finally accepted in 1909. (Hence the 98/09 designation.) Barrel was short to keep the weight down, resulting in a recoil mechanism longer than the barrel.

http://www.landships.freeservers.com...cm_lFH9809.htm
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Apr 12, 18:24
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hey! What happened the photo I attached to post 699

Try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (24.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 14 Apr 12, 22:20
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Hey! What happened the photo I attached to post 699

Try again
Ah. Your previous post makes a whole lot more sense now.

Does appear to be the M1908 4.7 inch howitzer. Here's a frontal photo.

http://warmemorials.us/artillery/m19..._kewaunee.html
Old 10 May 12, 14:19
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Here's a challenge for you chaps, last remaining example.

Old 10 May 12, 19:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Picture is too small to see much detail & wont enlarge like a ordinary thumbnail
Old 11 May 12, 22:09
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]

The Gun is still operational :O

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!