HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 10 Nov 11, 21:34
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thumbs up 'Severed Union 1861-1865'

Quote:
Severed Union 1861-1865 is the first release by Gordon & Hague Historical Wargames. This game is a tabletop style strategic wargame covering the American Civil War. The miniatures are 10mm in scale and come fully assembled and are pre-painted and are ready for the battlefield right out of the box!

The game is played using a turn based system utilizing our rulebook that covers everything you need to know in order to relive the greatest battles of the civil war right on your tabletop. Feel free to use our miniatures with other rulesets as well.

Over time we will be releasing new miniatures for both armies as well as civilian units. We will also be releasing an accessories line that will include buildings, fences, trees, and hobby supplies to enhance game play and your gaming experience.

http://www.gordonandhague.com/wargame-severed-union.cfm

This is a brand new company that I just heard about today that offers prepainted ACW army deals in 10mm. They also have their own rule set as a free download on the site. The whole idea and concept behind their product seems great. (I especially like the packaging) It seems it would be great for getting new people into the hobby, buy them a box and they are ready to go. It also seems like an easy way for someone already in the hobby to branch out into a new wargaming era. I am seriously considering putting this on my Christmas list. What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking!!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Nov 11, 22:40
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
$$$ too much.
Old 11 Nov 11, 09:33
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
$$$ too much.
Yes and no.

Their price points are intimidating.

But when you look at what you're getting, a Federal or Confederate box comes with 496 minis.

Painted.

For $255 I'd say that's not a bad deal.

They seem to be taking the opposite tack that most other minis companies are - low-priced intro sets set around the $50 mark. I'm sure there are some ACW gamers out there who are able to drop $250 without thinking about it. The question is whether they want to start gaming at 10mm in the ACW for that kind of money.

As a starter set, I don't love the price point, but I don't think it's outrageous if you're serious.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 11 Nov 11, 09:34
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
I'd also like to know who does the labor. If they're speed painted by a couple of guys in their basement here in the USA, I'm good with that.

If it's child prison labor out of China? No thanks.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 11 Nov 11, 09:39
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
$255 for painted, ready to go sounds fair. How many hours would it take to paint all those minis and for the cost you save a butt load of time. My downfall is finding someone/group to justify the purchase.
Old 13 Nov 11, 19:05
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter3 View Post
$255 for painted, ready to go sounds fair. How many hours would it take to paint all those minis and for the cost you save a butt load of time. My downfall is finding someone/group to justify the purchase.

Thats what I was thinking, especially for me if I wanted to get into a new period but not lose the painting time on my current figures.

I think one of the cool things is this would be a good product to get someone else into wargaming. Buy a bundle starter set from each side, download the free rules, and invite a buddy over for a game ready to go. All dependent on if you have the cash.... and a buddy

Thanks for looking!!
Old 09 May 12, 13:06
Recruit
Canada

will is a balanced individual [0]
G & H’s “Army Deals” appear expensive at first glance, but the large sets translate into $3.41 per six figure base (I just bought their Severed Union Grand Army Mega Deal Combo). If the initial cost makes you pause, you have to ask yourself, “what’s my time worth?” As a parent of three busy boys, I no longer have those glorious spare hours to assemble and paint armies. Wish I did, I miss it, but something’s got to give. I can just barely fit in a few hours of wargaming per month. I think the demographics are ripe now for this type of product. I have a few wargaming buddies that are in the same boat as me and fully painted armies are a huge time saver for really busy folks.
Old 10 May 12, 08:11
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
...you seriously tempt me.

Favourited it, if it turns out I have friends in the area who are also interested in that sort of investment, I may well go in for it - well, when I have time that is.

I've always been more into the gaming than the painting anyway.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!