HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Sports Field

Notices and Announcements

Sports Field Got a favourite team or sports personality? Here's where to discuss their relative merits.

Old 08 May 12, 16:23
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
That was a great game last night. Rangers came back in a big way. The Caps are really giving 'em a run for their money though.

Hunter has done a good job. Ovechkin's getting less ice time worked to their advantage in Game 4 but last night the Rangers shut him down well. When Ovi doesn't score or get an assist, the Caps usually wind up losing.
Ovie's ice time is down, but when he's on the ice, he's forechecking, he's chasing down loose pucks, he's even blocking shots. Sure his scoring's down -- but this is the playoffs. Everybodies' scoring is down. The two moments in this series when he had some space, he scored. The guy has a great shot, so the Rangers have draped themselves all over him like a cheap suit -- just like the Caps have been doing to Marion Gaborik. These goal scorers, when you take away their space, they become mere mortals. When they get an inch or two, however, pucks cross the line. That's how tight this series has been, and there's no reason to believe that Game 6 will be any different.

If -- IF -- the Rangers can keep up their forechecking, they're going to grind the Caps down. From the Caps' point of view, too much of Game 5 was played in their end. The Caps cannot survive always chasing the Rangers in their own end. If Game 6 unfolds the same way, then the Caps will be in real trouble.
Old 08 May 12, 18:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
Now that my Pens are gone, anybody but Ovie!! For heaven's sake, anybody but Ovie!

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 09 May 12, 10:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Devils proved something last night: controlled aggression wins more than wild free-for-all hockey. The Flyers were never really even in that series. Even if Giroux had played, it's hard to see how that would have made a difference.
Old 09 May 12, 14:19
Sergeant Major
United_States

Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99]
I never would have predicted the Devils getting to the Eastern Conference Finals. Very surprised. I thought once the Flyers eliminated the Pens that they would be the ones going all the way. Once again (not for the first or last time) I was wrong. I like your comment on "controlled agression" Slick. I think you're dead on.

Holtby is 5-0 in games after coming off of a loss. We'll see if the Rangers show up in the 1st period. I don't think they've been getting very good starts in this series.
Old 10 May 12, 12:55
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Old 10 May 12, 13:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Old 10 May 12, 14:40
Sergeant Major
United_States

Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99]
Holtby: 6-0 after coming off a loss.

That was a rough one for the Rangers. Well, there's always Saturday at home!
Old 11 May 12, 23:06
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]

Rangers is going down tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Old 12 May 12, 23:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpreacher View Post

Rangers is going down tomorrow.

I like watching my in-laws suffer.
Old 13 May 12, 12:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

On Mothers' Day, Mrs Slick_miester objects to me spending upwards of $200 a ticket to see the Eastern Conference Final between the Rangers and the Devils.

Old 13 May 12, 20:02
General of the Forums
United_States

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
Mine wouldn't. She likes hockey.Unfortunately,we had a crappy team,and it flew back north.
Old 13 May 12, 21:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

^ My wife appreciates a good game, too -- only she understands -- as do I -- that upwards of $400 is a lot to spend for a game.

"But it's Rangers-Devils on the conference finals . . . . . "

"But it's at least $400 . . . . . "

My step-father's Jewish, and the native Jock in me makes that a very tough call. Her obstinance merely slams the door shut.
Old 13 May 12, 22:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Now I've just watched 40 min of LA-Phoenix, and my prediction is . . . .

some one's going to be in critical condition before this thing is through. They are just pounding the crap out of each other. This harkens back to Colorado-Detroit in their hay day: though without their skill, they're matching that level of hatred.
Old 14 May 12, 16:28
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dale Hunter's calling it quits: says he wants to spend more time with his family. They'll miss him in Washington: he coached them well.
Old 14 May 12, 17:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Dang. I will miss him too. I remember very well the Colorado-Detroit series. And the Dallas-Detroit,when Belfour-who claims to be a Christian,slashed Martin LaPointe's tools. Not a nice thing to do,if you are what you claim to be.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!