HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Military Modelling and Other Hobbies

Notices and Announcements

Military Modelling and Other Hobbies Discuss model building, memorabilia, art, and other hobbies.

Old 07 May 12, 22:17
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Wow. Love the deck!
Old 07 May 12, 22:38
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100]
WOW is right!! that looks fantastic!!!!
Old 07 May 12, 22:39
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelsinchina View Post

In these picture you can see where I had to cut off the gates and chains in the front and middle sections.

Here is the wood deck. I had to use the the trumpeter version rather than the Dragon, I still may combine the two kits and do a waterline version with the dragon kit.

Here are some pics of all the things that have to be cut off and replaced with pe because the wood deck will cover it.

I got extra pe rails so I could practice, this is on the dragon which will probably be my practice model. It is not perfect but it is a good start. I used a pencil and a paint brush that had a various of diameters to get the curves. These things are a bugger in 1/700!

I would throw some rep your way but the forum wouldn't let me right now.. so REP REP...

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf
Old 08 May 12, 07:52
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400]
triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400]
Dang, looking great Sean! That wood deck looks really good!
Old 08 May 12, 20:19
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nice work Sean! I've never been very good with PE so ships are out for me.

Old 09 May 12, 21:22
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100]
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../kk-index.html

check this guy out he is using the same model and update set i am. wow!
Old 10 May 12, 04:23
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor - Ace) Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelsinchina View Post
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../kk-index.html

check this guy out he is using the same model and update set i am. wow!
That guy is good!

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton
Old 10 May 12, 05:49
General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
That guy is good!
He is huh. First dio I can recall with sealevel above the base like he did it. Has a good look to it and probably a good way to show a full hull as a waterline model.

This 1/700 stuff is crazy. Reading glasses & magnifier lamp just so I can find the pieces on the sprues. Expect the project to go downhill from there.

As I intended to build this thing in DDG-14 1972 confuguration, I'll need to paint eyes on the bow.

Actual size 72" long...and I think I'm gonna paint these on at .10" in length? Maybe after I learn to do something easy like paint the alphabet on a grain of rice.

Old 12 May 12, 08:43
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500]
SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500]
Wedfactory, If you have enough of it, it will be more accurate to install the railings in sections where there will be a post at each sharp bend or corner. A bit more work but will look more accurate when completed.

If need be, build a jig to hold in place as you solder the railing back together.

The parts cut off for the wood deck, which will really make the model stand out, are easily fabricated. Scale anchor chain can be obtained and will look far better then the molded in place stuff. Those replaced items will make your painting of the deck much easier as the deck and those items can be painted before fastening in place.

Those are some of the details the judges will look for at the model contests.

I wonder, on 1/700 scale, if it is easier and neater to just use the wood deck in place of the plastic one and then use the plastic deck as a template or cannibalize it for the rest of the superstructure needed.
Old 19 May 12, 12:51
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100] modelsinchina has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Got the big update set for the Bismark. It is intimidating! Tried my hand at it today. Made some progress and got frustrated. Lost two very small pe pieces.

But did this:

Old 19 May 12, 13:34
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400] triggerjockey has a spectacular aura about [400]
Those barrels look great Sean!
Old 19 May 12, 16:46
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300] Wedfactory is on a distinguished road [300]
Have your work cut out for you there! Looking good, missing pieces and all.

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf
Old 19 May 12, 23:50
Captain
Australia
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99]
Top job on those barrels, MIC.
Old 20 May 12, 00:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Good work Sean.
Old 21 May 12, 03:33
General of the Forums
United_States

Ever so slowly I am getting around to working on the Destroyer.
[IMG][/IMG]

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!