HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 07 May 12, 09:17
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pball View Post
As LCM1 states there are a few variations on the song and If I recall even ERIC BOGLE the song writer would rewrite parts to make it a bit more historically accurate.
the ending I know goes
"And the band plays Waltzing Matilda, the old men still answer the call, Year after Year more old men disappear,
Soon no one will march there at all" I forgot about the last bit about the ghosts marching down the boulavarde, sung to the tune of Waltzing Matilda.
I may have written of this in the past But I feel it would be appropriate to have horses with boots reversed in the stirrups to signify the fact that there are no longer any veterans from a conflict.
Each horse would be separated by a long break in the parade so it would be akin to Longstaff's painting "Menin Gate At Midnight", but my Idea does not make for good TV nor does it allow the descendants of veterans to march
Hullo my friend,you have obviously given this much thought and are truly sincere in what you say,much of which I agree with.One thing though I personally have no objection to a descendant of a Vet: marching, Providing he or she wears his medals on the right breast for the occasion. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
Old 07 May 12, 23:46
Colonel
Canada

Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200] Sparlingo is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Hullo my friend,you have obviously given this much thought and are truly sincere in what you say,much of which I agree with.One thing though I personally have no objection to a descendant of a Vet: marching, Providing he or she wears his medals on the right breast for the occasion. lcm1
I'd like to chip in here. That song is very dear to my heart, I first learned it during college from a British mate of mine who had lived in Australia, and it introduced me to the importance of Gallopoli to Australia and New Zea landers in their historical development. We sang it together often in our college years in Halifax, Nova Scotia which is a place very receptive to folk songs. I also sang it with an Australian on the last day of a five day trip on the great barrier reef and each of us were impressed that the other knew all the words to it. I'd suggest that the original song was intended to be an anti war song. For me that didn't matter, for me it was an important connection with to an important event in Australia's history and evolution. The finer points of the conclusion it might or might not make about war in general I leave to others.
Old 08 May 12, 02:55
Australia

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparlingo View Post
I'd like to chip in here. That song is very dear to my heart, I first learned it during college from a British mate of mine who had lived in Australia, and it introduced me to the importance of Gallopoli to Australia and New Zea landers in their historical development. We sang it together often in our college years in Halifax, Nova Scotia which is a place very receptive to folk songs. I also sang it with an Australian on the last day of a five day trip on the great barrier reef and each of us were impressed that the other knew all the words to it. I'd suggest that the original song was intended to be an anti war song. For me that didn't matter, for me it was an important connection with to an important event in Australia's history and evolution. The finer points of the conclusion it might or might not make about war in general I leave to others.
I think that the song,as is ANZAC day itself not a celebration of war but a memory of those that fell in that war and all wars from then on and a thanks to those that survived but served and still answer the call on ANZAC day and when age wearies them and they can no longer physically march they do the next best thing,as I do, they ride in the jeeps and personal carriers that are provided for all ex service Australians and their allies. All my family,as do hundreds of others, turn out regularly every year and proudly cheer us on. Do they do anything similar in England now? I know that they never used to,you were ex service and forgotten!! (Apart from poppy day that is) And that is not quite the same thing. lcm1

Old 08 May 12, 03:08
Lieutenant General
Australia
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
I think that the song,as is ANZAC day itself not a celebration of war but a memory of those that fell in that war and all wars from then on and a thanks to those that survived but served and still answer the call on ANZAC day and when age wearies them and they can no longer physically march they do the next best thing,as I do, they ride in the jeeps and personal carriers that are provided for all ex service Australians and their allies. All my family,as do hundreds of others, turn out regularly every year and proudly cheer us on. Do they do anything similar in England now? I know that they never used to,you were ex service and forgotten!! (Apart from poppy day that is) And that is not quite the same thing. lcm1
Actually not only "from then on" as I can just remember the last remaining Boer War veterans being bused on ANZAC day parades.

There is nothing similar in England, or, as far as I know ,anywhere else. ANZAC Day is peculiar to Australia and New Zealand ,of course: 11th.November is observed by all participants in WW1 (U.S."Veterans Day")
"History haunts even generations who refuse to (acknowledge it). Rhythms,patterns,continuities,drift out of long time forgotten to mould the present and to colour the shape of things to come". Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Old 09 May 12, 00:09
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
Actually not only "from then on" as I can just remember the last remaining Boer War veterans being bused on ANZAC day parades.

There is nothing similar in England, or, as far as I know ,anywhere else. ANZAC Day is peculiar to Australia and New Zealand ,of course: 11th.November is observed by all participants in WW1 (U.S."Veterans Day")
Yes you are quite right the last Boer war veterans were in The early ANZAC parades for the same reason that us 'newcomers' (HaHa) are, it covers all wars that the Australian and New Zealand forces (plus their allies) have taken part in, both Post and Pre the first World war. There, do you find that satisfactory?? lcm1

Old 09 May 12, 00:25
Australia

Quote:

Regarding nothing similar in the UK,why am I not staggered? It has been a long problem with the British Government, as far as their service personal (ex) are concerned ,they use you and lose you. Nothing like the RSL of this country, for years the only distant link with the ex service personal in the UK was the 'British Legion' which in my home town of Brighton was concerned there was one and it was more like a private club than an establishment for Ex Service men. I knew no one that was a member from either of the two Major wars. lcm1

Old 09 May 12, 19:40
Lieutenant Colonel
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300] asterix is on a distinguished road [300]
So much for the old Alliance.....

French WW 2 veteran told not to march with flag.

http://liverpool-leader.whereilive.c...form-container

-General Charles de Gaulle
Old 09 May 12, 21:19
Lieutenant General
Australia

BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Yes you are quite right the last Boer war veterans were in The early ANZAC parades for the same reason that us 'newcomers' (HaHa) are, it covers all wars that the Australian and New Zealand forces (plus their allies) have taken part in, both Post and Pre the first World war. There, do you find that satisfactory?? lcm1
Perfectly: thank you.
"History haunts even generations who refuse to (acknowledge it). Rhythms,patterns,continuities,drift out of long time forgotten to mould the present and to colour the shape of things to come". Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Old 09 May 12, 21:25
Lieutenant General
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
So much for the old Alliance.....

French WW 2 veteran told not to march with flag.

http://liverpool-leader.whereilive.c...form-container
That's quite appalling, the veteran, complete with beret and flag, would be welcomed at the ANZAC March in Melbourne.

Further, on 11th.November the French sacrifice is commemorated by a service that takes an historic priority before all other nationalities at the Shrine of Remembrance. It is attended by the French Consul-General and all leading members of the French Community.
Old 09 May 12, 23:36
Australia

Quote:
That's quite appalling, the veteran, complete with beret and flag, would be welcomed at the ANZAC March in Melbourne.

Further, on 11th.November the French sacrifice is commemorated by a service that takes an historic priority before all other nationalities at the Shrine of Remembrance. It is attended by the French Consul-General and all leading members of the French Community.
I do agree, although I have 'Ground an axe' a few times on this Forum regarding the French governments attitude in the 2nd WW, it does not extend to the men and women that can claim to be veterans from that country. The French flag has as much right to be flown on any Remembrance day as any other of the Allies.The French people as a whole cannot be held guilty for the antics of their Government. As you say, Appalling!! lcm1

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!