HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Alternate Timelines > Science Fiction

Notices and Announcements

Science Fiction Science Fiction as a means to discuss "future history."

Old 06 May 12, 22:18
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
SF Series on TV... have they all faded away?

About ten years ago we had a real hay-day for Sci-Fi, in Television.

Babylon 5 had just wrapped up, Firefly was brief but the good die young. Star Trek was still going strong and there was that rather peculiar but fun Farscape that managed to end with a very intense movie.
Even Stargate managed to limp along for over a decade.
And, the greatest one of all; Battlestar Galactica, after the min-series it had 4 brilliant years.

What have we got now?

Nothing worth talking about, as far as I know of.

Will be absent unpredictably for the next two months or until further notice.

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 May 12, 07:00
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400]
OpanaPointer has a spectacular aura about [400]
Eureka's in a new season, with yet another reshuffling of characters' roles. (Caveat: I've only watched 1/2 of the season opener.)
Old 07 May 12, 11:14
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
I'll agree with both of you. I'm still waiting for a new SG-1 series. But I'll probubly be in my grave befroe we see it huh ?
Old 07 May 12, 11:35
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100]
What about Doctor Who or Falling Skies?

Personal Blog
Old 07 May 12, 11:37
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300]
I don't agree with Battlestar Galactica being anything but not good, but I do agree that the sci-fi genre is really being neglected at the moment.

Fringe doesn't cut it. Eureka isn't any good...well, any SyFy show on right now isn't any good.

Just catch reruns of ST:TNG and Firefly and be patient until something finally materializes.

That's all I can hope for.

EDITED: @Silent Hunter: Doctor Who is never on enough (except for reruns, I should add that to the list, too), and this current overly long hiatus instigated by that idiot Moffat isn't helping things.

When its finally back on, that should help, if just a bit.

Hillary Clinton, the Butcher of Benghazi.
Old 07 May 12, 14:58
General
United_States
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500]
Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500]
I still haven't seen any Sci Fi on the new SyFy channel.
Old 07 May 12, 15:09
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffenea View Post

Old 07 May 12, 15:42
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
In Britain the SyFy tends to be on the Horror channel which is good, because that channel is free. Firefly regularly appears there, as do the Alien Nation films .
Old 07 May 12, 17:09
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
We can only hope so. Please take reality TV with ya be for you close the door.

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 07 May 12, 21:21
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
EDITED: @Silent Hunter: Doctor Who is never on enough (except for reruns, I should add that to the list, too), and this current overly long hiatus instigated by that idiot Moffat isn't helping things.

Well, I'll admit I have watched Dr. Who... the David Tenant years anyhow.
To hell with the rest of it.
Dr. Who was a kid's show at heart, and what brought it back was the kids who grew up and decided they wanted more of the same.
Nothing wrong with that... but more and more of the same gets a bit dreary after 50 years.

Falling Skies?
I may have heard of it.... guess it didn't make much of an impression.

Will be absent unpredictably for the next two months or until further notice.

Sponsored Links

Old 08 May 12, 09:20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
If anybody watches Fringe they , on ocasion , will give a nod to past Sc-Fi TV shows.
Example : In one show they had guest stars from the show First Wave and they talked like an episode of the First Wave .
In another they were in the future and they took Dr Bishop to a mental hospital . A security man stopped them on the street and asked for their number. When asking Bishop
" Prisoner what is your number. " He ansrwed
" I am not a number I am a free man " And there also others too numerious to mention here.
Old 08 May 12, 09:21
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Yep I agree they also show wrestling .
Old 08 May 12, 11:28
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
Well, I'll admit I have watched Dr. Who... the David Tenant years anyhow.
To hell with the rest of it.
Dr. Who was a kid's show at heart, and what brought it back was the kids who grew up and decided they wanted more of the same.
Nothing wrong with that... but more and more of the same gets a bit dreary after 50 years.

Falling Skies?
I may have heard of it.... guess it didn't make much of an impression.
I remember when Falling Skies was first previewed, and I was interested. Watched a little more than 15 minutes of part of the first episode. Couldn't tell anyone what happened now, it was that non-gripping. Am kinda suprised its still on.

Old 11 May 12, 15:07
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LtCol is on the path to success [1-99] LtCol is on the path to success [1-99]
Tracked SyFy (which is the medical shorthand for syphilis) for a week and found one(!) two hour movie, early on Sunday morning that could be wholly counted as a scifi movie. Same for the history channel, that same week had a single 1950s movie on early in the morning about ancient Greece. Lots of stuff about junk dealers, ghost hunters, witches, vampires, UFOS and off the wall interptitions of little known mythical events. And Wrestling.
Old 11 May 12, 18:20
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wrestling is the least of those as a problem. At least its entertaining, and doesn't pretend to be serious.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!