HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 20 Apr 11, 17:13
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Gamers Hell just posted a list of ten mods worth checking out:

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Mods Pack

Quote:
Ten modifications for the stand-alone expansion pack of Bohemia Interactive's modern first-person tactical shooter ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, has been added in our download area, courtesy of ArmaHolic. Make sure you backup any files that you may need to overwrite to save any confusion. Enjoy
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Advanced Combat Environment 2 OA - Core Mod (131.38MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Iranian Forces Mod (243.36MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Gulf War Mod: Operation Desert Storm Mod (351.29MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Anzac Mod (638.87MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Invasion 1944 - D-Day Mod (1.06GB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Advanced Combat Environment 2 OA - Extra Mod (491.55MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead Collective Rapid Reaction Force (KSOR) Mod (111.85MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead HEXAgon Air and Water Pack Mod (149.52MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead HEXAgon Tracked & Wheeled Pack Mod (125.68MB)
  • ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead HEXAgon Characters & Weapons Pack Mod (353.91MB)
Old 20 Apr 11, 21:42
Sergeant Major
UK
Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani
I assume you'll buy a PC at some point, since it was concluded that ARMA 2 is the game that'll live on-you'll have your chance eventually...
Technically I could still play ARMA 2 - I will have a PC there, not sure of the quality, but chances are I'd have to tone down the graphics a bit and stop running maps like Fallujah or Namalsk.
I guess it's more a matter of whether I want to buy another computer capable of playing ARMA 2 properly, or pay to have my old PC shipped to me... Decisions, decisions...

This is why I'm taking Combat Mission(s) with me, they'll run on anything.
Seeing as I've still got both campaigns in CM:A and about half the CMSF campaign to play - Not to mention all of CMBN coming soon (but not soon enough..) they should keep me occupied if I'll be ARMA-less for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamersHell
Ten modifications for the stand-alone expansion pack...
Hmmm, it seems they didn't pay much attention when they downloaded/uploaded these.

The 4 mods below do not work without the base game as well:
Iranian Forces
Gulf War
ANZAC
Invasion '44

The ANZAC mod also requires weapons from the Australians At War pack - Bit pointless to upload one without the other...

Those issues aside, it's good to see the game is getting more recognition.
Old 28 Jun 11, 09:23
Brigadier General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Old 14 Dec 11, 17:25
Brigadier General
Scotland

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
This guy has been making some scale models of the forces in ArmA and Arma 2. Pretty cool.
Old 19 Dec 11, 18:07
Brigadier General
Scotland

The Airborne Invasion of North Sahrani

Please click here for the briefing on the Op.

The following is a 30 min video of a large scale MP coop mission that was originally done in ArmA. The mission is a D-Day style night time airborne drop over hostile territory where multiple units, dispersed over an area, try to form groups and rely on their vision, map, compass and brains to complete the Op. The mission is dynamic so few things are ever the same which keeps the experience fresh. It was played by the ShackTactical MP group.

In short:

You have groups of people dropped into enemy territory, often scattered and intermingled with other units, lightly armed and typically outnumbered, relying on surprise, speed, and small-unit initiative and leadership to carry out various critical tasks that are essential towards paving the way for a much larger follow-on force, not to mention their very survival.

Click here for original post
Old 22 Dec 11, 11:32
Brigadier General
Scotland

Patch 1.60

http://www.bistudio.com/happy-holidays/

New patch for ArmA 2 series has been released. This is a massive update that completely fixes MP (no more warping) and also makes significant changes to the AI.

Click here for impressions.

Summary

Highlights from today’s patches

Operation Arrowhead patched to 1.60

New features: FXAA Anti-Aliasing mode, user-definable memory allocators, new scripting commands, new commandline options

Multiplayer is much smoother, no more warping, includes a number of fixes, optimizations and improvements

Netcode, VON and dedicated server fixes plus configuration additions in place

Singleplayer received visual states smoothing and prediction (notable e.g. on distant units)

AI is improved, especially (but not only) in combat, AI has received numerous bug fixes

Aircraft & Helicopter simulation received slight improvements

ARMA 2, ARMA 2: OA, ARMA 2: EW campaigns and stand-alone missions received special treatment to get rid of most annoying bugs

Numerous other small bugs/glitches fixed

Arma 2 patched to 1.11

Numerous bug fixes, multiplayer code tweaks and mission fixes

ARMA 2, ARMA 2: OA, ARMA 2: EW campaigns and stand-alone missions received special treatment to get rid of the most annoying bugs

Arma 2:Free patched to 1.11

MP Code brought into line with Arma 2 for compatibility

BAF patched to 1.03 and PMC patched to 1.02

Several stability and game saves fixes as well as mission tweaks, also new BAF missions included.

Click here for download
Old 31 Dec 11, 22:58
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Can someone recommend a good mod that replaces the stock, performance-killing trees in A2/OA with something more FPS friendly? I remember hearing about such a thing a while ago but forgot what it was called. It's okay if it is bundled with a super-mod, btw (does the ACE mod include such a thing?).

Thanks!
Old 05 Jan 12, 06:11
Sergeant Major
UK
Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7970 - Tree replacement textures
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7969 - Bush replacement textures

There's a whole project, I believe by kju, which aimed at fixing the performance issues among other things.

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/prop..._Tweak_Visuals

These focus on the vegetation, the link below on buildings:

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/prop..._Tweak_Visuals

Here's the main project page, with things ranging from view distance to text size, could be worth a look.

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/proper-projects/wiki

ACE doesn't, as far as I know, have anything relating to performance increasing. It's purely about adding functions/features and content. Infact it probably makes the performance worse But at a worthwhile cost.
Old 28 Jan 12, 07:54
Brigadier General
Scotland

I found this article called War or gaming fun? on the BBC news website. It's great publicity for BIS and Arma 2 but the authors arguments were the typical ones you get from the usual media outlets.

Photographer John Cantlie raised an interesting point with me recently. As the latest generation of computer war games are so realistic, he wondered, perhaps the next sufferers of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may not even have left their bedrooms.

PTSD from a game? Not only are games nothing like real war this is insulting to actual sufferers of PTSD.

The last really good session of the game Battlefield 3 I played on my PC left me, I'm forced to admit, somewhat drained....But it reminded me uncannily of a long, bloody day in Libya on 24 September 2011.

A joke, surely?

But the noises, the hellish cacophony, the crashes of the RPGs and the complete chaos - all of it had been eerily similar to that hour-long session of digitised warfare on my computer.

My mouse hand was sweaty and my pupils dilated.

Pure hyperbole.

In some cases it is actually quite hard to tell the difference between my photographs and the computer version, which is deeply worrying. The level of detail is so precise that the virtual war zone is as convincing as the real thing.

I didn't have any problems distinguishing between the real shots and the game shots.
Old 10 Feb 12, 12:51
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]

Fantan Mojah - Stronger
Sponsored Links

Old 06 May 12, 13:23
Sami
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700] Erkki is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Anyone playing any more?

Fantan Mojah - Stronger
Old 07 May 12, 08:08
Brigadier General
Scotland

Yeah.

Always up for an MP game if we can get one going.
Old 07 May 12, 11:05
Sami

It would be great, bring me up to speed, what versions are we using?

Fantan Mojah - Stronger
Old 08 May 12, 05:39
Brigadier General
Scotland

1.60 is the latest patch which made big changes to the multiplayer so it's a lot smoother. You won't see AI or players jumping forward a couple of metres.

I've still been updating that addon pack we used but I need to upload a new version to take into account the changes in the latest patch. I'll see if I can get it updated this weekend. ACE and I44 also have a few coop missions as well as CWR 2 but these are all huge download, probably around 500MB-1GB.

We'll need to get a game organised.
Old 08 May 12, 14:13
Sami

Alright I believe I have patched up to 1.60. My Ace and I44 are outdated though I ll see if I can get them.

Fantan Mojah - Stronger

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!