HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider.

Old 05 May 12, 16:51
Lance Corporal
United_States

Field Master is on the path to success [1-99]
New Napoleonic Game - Campaign 1814....

In case anyone is interested there is a new game out from John Tiller & his staff, designer of the Talonsoft/Matrix Battleground Series & the HPS Simulations Games, he is now on his own.

Campaign 1814

I didn't want to post the whole plug here, but just mention it if folks want to wander over and read:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=122588

Featuring - The Colonial Campaigns Club (CCC) , the American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

Also Blitz Wargaming Club

Playing John Tiller Software, HPS Simulations, Matrix, Slitherine, AGEOD
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 May 12, 17:33
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Master View Post

In case anyone is interested there is a new game out from John Tiller & his staff, designer of the Talonsoft/Matrix Battleground Series & the HPS Simulations Games, he is now on his own.

Campaign 1814

I didn't want to post the whole plug here, but just mention it if folks want to wander over and read:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=122588
I have the ACW Peninsula Campaign game.

Excellent games if done PBEM.

Homer

BoRG
Old 06 May 12, 00:28
Lance Corporal
United_States

Yes indeed they are. The Napoleonic series has progressed further than the ACW series in that most scenarios have both a setup & scripting meant for human versus human gaming and then solo gaming. More attention to the script for the AI and flexibility is given to the solo games. Though far from perfect it is a major improvement over the past.

Plus the game comes instantly now as it is available only for download, but at half the cost of the CD based HPS games....

The time, effort and research put into this game and Leipzig was extensive and many sources were used as well as natives from the countries involved....

Featuring - The Colonial Campaigns Club (CCC) , the American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

Old 08 May 12, 04:15
Gunnery Sergeant
Belgium

Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99]
Indeed, great games, even if the look is a bit out-of-date. Good research (Terrain, orders of battle, etc).

I bought Leipzig when it came out and I have already bought 1814.
Old 08 May 12, 04:58
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ulrih has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Any trailer where it`s possible to see how this game is played? I would like to order this but some time ago I had real troubles to figure out how to play Napoleon`s Campaigns and if this one is something similar then I would not order it.
Old 08 May 12, 15:58
Gunnery Sergeant
Belgium

Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99] Dominique T. is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrih View Post
Any trailer where it`s possible to see how this game is played? I would like to order this but some time ago I had real troubles to figure out how to play Napoleon`s Campaigns and if this one is something similar then I would not order it.
It is played the same way as dozens of other HPS and John Tiller games.

You'll find more info on their websites :

http://johntillersoftware.com/Napole...paign1814.html

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/products.html
Old 09 May 12, 10:28
Lance Corporal
United_States

Indeed as Dominique has pointed out they are part of a larger group of games.

They are designed like table top wargaming and by table top wargamers. Many of the rules, such as dice rolls, unit quality, morale checks, leader command radius, terrain effects, weather effects, zone of control, movement points, ammo, unit types, weapons types and all that is built into the game engine, allowing you to learn how it works if you wish but not have to go to a manual to debate it with other gamers. Instead you have units and leaders that you move across maps, sometimes a couple dozen units, sometimes a thousand or so.

It is a turn based game and there are points for casualties and sometimes objectives that score into the overall victory result of the scenario.

The campaigns link various battles together, sometimes historic and sometimes not that allow you to make choices about an upcoming battle that then launches into a sceario based on the choices made.

You can play against the A/I, which isn't the best, but has been improved, in two player hotseat, by PBEM (play by email) in which a files is exchanged by the gamers, TCP/IP or LAN/Direct Connect.

The game is very different from Napoleon's Campaigns, a bit more in depth, but easier to learn I feel. Napoleon's Campaigns has a lot of quirks and doesn't have much replay after a while, these games offer many ways of replay. AGEOD since Napoleon's Campaigns has really improved there system too though....

Old 18 May 12, 11:23
Lieutenant General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100] Zouave is a pillar of the community [1100]
That's great new!

I have the old Talonsoft Napoleonic games and a couple of Napoleonic games from HPS.

I love the 1813 campaign, but the prospect of commanding/moving thousands of units each turn at Dresden or Leipzig, frankly, put me off.

The smaller battles of the 1814 campaign in France are much more manageable.

Is this game only available for download?
Old 24 May 12, 03:30
Gunnery Sergeant
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
Is this game only available for download?
Indeed, only download.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!