HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

View Poll Results: Favorite Total War
Shogun 1 Total War 1 2.22%
Medieval 1 Total War 2 4.44%
Rome Total war 16 35.56%
Medieval 2 Total War 7 15.56%
Empire Total War 12 26.67%
Napoleon Total War 4 8.89%
Shogun 2 Total War 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Nov 11, 17:15
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay217 View Post
Ive played , Empire, Napoleon, Medieval 2, Rome. In that order.

My comments.
Empire- Great Factions(Except the 1 state German Factions are rather annoying late game), Massive Large Fun Map. Probably the Most streamlined making it fairly easy to understand. Massive Game issues/Glitches. Long Wait time for turns to end. Your Great empire also seems to always have a problem with receiving ecxcess funds making things alot slower paced but gives a better strategic feel.

Napoleon. - Take Empire Fix all the errors in empire, improve combat and AI and some qualities (Resupplying troops and splitting up France makes game feel and look alot better), Factions are less intriguing (IMO its because its very limited) Small Maps make short intense game-play.

Medievel. Fun different concept. Quite large map. Biggest Beef is the generals always get bad traits when they have 100% move left so have t nanny all the governors before ending turn.

Rome - Nice in-between feel with the interface from Medieval (balancing castles vs town) with the straight forward feel of empire. 2 unique traits are Rome you always seem to have a massive abundance of cash-flow once you start going, which creates faster game-pace but less challenge, other is the overpowering squalor which will make you worry about your own cities then any enemy.

So to go into a bracket sense. Empire vs Napoleon. If your looking at Great Long-winded Campaigns Empire is the winner, however if want something a little smaller (limited time or just something to casually play) Napoleon is the winner by far. For my purposes i prefer Empire.

Rome Vs Medieval 2. I find both these games to be more faster-paced but also a bit of a micro-manage nightmare. Medieval is alot more balanced with more 'playable' factions. however i don't like the added complexity of castles vs towns and the govenors nightmare. winner for me Rome.

Empire's streamline makes it alot more simpler micro manage wise so it beats out Rome for top spot by a slight margin.
Cool, it looks like you know your games Thanks for the information!

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 15 Nov 11, 18:27
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
Medieval II Total War for me. I got into that one the most...I've tried Empire but its a beast of a game and lags my computer to hell.
Old 16 Nov 11, 22:57
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Medieval II Total War for me. I got into that one the most...I've tried Empire but its a beast of a game and lags my computer to hell.
I think that's what I'm going to go with, as the Medieval time period is far more fascinating to me right now than the others.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 24 Apr 12, 20:02
Sergeant Major
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jack Dionne is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Dionne is on the path to success [1-99]
I prefer Shogun II only because of the Avatar Campaign. It's all I play now.
Old 03 May 12, 15:30
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
Napoleon is brilliant but I've always loved Rome
Sponsored Links

Old 04 May 12, 08:52
Banned
Germany

Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100] Ricthofen has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Napoleon because of The Great War mod.
Old 05 May 12, 07:37
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
Need to try that sometime ! Just got a new PC so i'm on Napoleon more
Old 07 May 12, 10:53
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahless View Post
I can't comment on Nappy or Shogun 2 (I refuse to purchase anymore games requiring Steam), but Rome and Empire were awful.

Only the original Shogun and Medieval have done it for me. A pity they have so many problems running on modern rigs.
Your joking right? Rome should never be described as awful. Have you actually played it?
Old 07 May 12, 12:31
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
Your joking right? Rome should never be described as awful. Have you actually played it?
Some people have different tastes. It really depends on what time period you like. For instance, I have the computer to run Shogun 2, but have absolutely no interest in the Shogunate (or Fall of the Samurai) time period...

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 08 May 12, 23:57
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
I used to love the Total War series and I still play them from time to time. However, I have found much better games closer to eras of history I prefer in Scourge of War and Take Command.

They don't have the campaign aspects that the Total War series do, but they have more soul.

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana
Old 10 May 12, 14:40
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
Unfortunately, I have; I actually owned RTW for a time. Finally gave up in disgust after playing it for 3-4 months, and sold my copy to my roommate (who didn't exactly love the game, but at least got some enjoyment out of it, which is more than I could say for myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post
Some people have different tastes. It really depends on what time period you like. For instance, I have the computer to run Shogun 2, but have absolutely no interest in the Shogunate (or Fall of the Samurai) time period...
My intense dislike of RTW has nothing to do with the time period. Indeed, I'd very much been looking forward to a Total War title set in the Roman era...only to be bitterly disappointed.
Old 10 May 12, 15:36
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have; I actually owned RTW for a time. Finally gave up in disgust after playing it for 3-4 months, and sold my copy to my roommate (who didn't exactly love the game, but at least got some enjoyment out of it, which is more than I could say for myself).
What do you not like about it?
Old 11 May 12, 03:13
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
Since I'm lazy, I'll just cross-quote myself from a post I made in another thread here:

Quote:
The graphics (especially on the campaign map) in RTW are cartoonish. The balance amongst factions & units is awful to the point of being laughable. There are a large number of extremely ahistorical troop types, which hurts atmosphere & immersion. The battles are too short and fast-paced, and are subsequently a frenetic & stereotypically RTS-style clickfest. The voice-acting is generally atrocious, which (again) hurts immersion. And most damning of all, the AI (both in battle and campaign mode) is non-existent.

I can enjoy a game with poor/mediocre atmosphere, and I can enjoy a game with anemic AI. But not both.

About the only two things Rome did right was the soundtrack -- it's still probably my second-favorite after STW -- and the improved combat UI (compared to Shogun and Medieval). The rest of the game, however, was craptastic. It should not have required mods to make it fun.
(Pardon my harsh wording, by the way. I was not having a good day at the time...)

So to sum up: I feel the way I do about Rome due in large part to its horrible AI and poor atmosphere/immersion. I could deal with one or the other, but the two in combination simply killed any enjoyment I might have gotten out of the game.

Obviously the vast majority of Total War players would disagree with me, especially on the latter aspect (I suspect), as it's admittedly a more subjective quality. However, I myself just could not get into the game. I wanted very badly to like it -- oh, how I tried! -- but after a few months, I realized that it simply was not going to happen.
Old 12 May 12, 21:57
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Well that's what counts I suppose: player satisfaction.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 20 May 12, 04:43
Lance Corporal
United_States

Crows eye is on the path to success [1-99]
rome 2 when they make it. lol
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!