HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider.

Old 04 May 12, 13:57
General
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1e View Post
Wellington did have a gift for deploying British Artillery behind reverse slopes and I am sure this had a lot to do with the outcome of the French Cavalry charge that failed to destroy the British lines.

The French guns had mostly been used best in concentrated efforts against grouped units that had been manoeuvred into position with Cavalry feints and attacks. With the intelligent use of French concentration of firepower Napoleon had many victories with the use of this tactic. Waterloo was not one of his better days and the coordinated efforts of French gunners did not happen. The British Horse Artillery had advantages in deployment and morale and with the natural obstacle of the fallen charge from Ney, the overall effect of Artillery was better with the British than the French.
Its a long time since I contributed anything Napoleonic, so I hope no one minds?

Re (from memory) Napoleons use of artillery on the battlefield.

Wasn't his '60 gun 12 pounder grand battery' placed on the small intermediate spur that lay between the the allied ridge and that of La Belle Alliance, just east of the highway.

If I am right this placed a disadvantage on the French gunners despite the shortened range, in that it was lower than the allied ridge. Because of this only forward slope and crest could accurately be targeted and plunging shot to the reverse slope would be difficult to execute effectively.

http://www.maproom.org/00/24/present.php?m=0007 (found a source if required mate)

Regards

Gaz
Old 04 May 12, 15:49
Banned
UK

DaveHollinsMBA is on the path to success [1-99] DaveHollinsMBA is on the path to success [1-99]
There is a lot of mythology surrounding period artillery and its effectiveness, mostly because it is viewed through the prism of WW1.

One revealing statistic is that the French fired 96,000 rounds at Wagram, a battle in which the Austrian suffered not much over 21,000 k+w. If we assume that half were inflicted by artillery and generously that each round hit caused two casualties (when in fact there was a lot of canister fired that day), we reach the interesting probability that the chance of anrtillewry round hitting anything was just 5%.

The Austrians fired 55,000 rounds at Aspern, where the Frenmch suffered nearly as many k+w, although that was of course a rather denser target.
Old 10 May 12, 06:06
Second Lieutenant
England

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
While it is truly wonderful and brilliant to see a Thread which deals specifically with the facinating subject of the Battle of Waterloo 1815, can I ask a simple question?

Is this Thread just for discussion concerning British Artillery and its actions during this memorable combat, or can anyone contribute anything regarding this wonderful, and unforgettable, battle?

Only asking out of curiosity, mind, for I have little to offer regrading this complicated and very controversial subject, but if I did, would I be permitted to make that contribution here!!!!
Old 11 May 12, 15:44
General
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th Rifles View Post
While it is truly wonderful and brilliant to see a Thread which deals specifically with the facinating subject of the Battle of Waterloo 1815, can I ask a simple question?

Is this Thread just for discussion concerning British Artillery and its actions during this memorable combat, or can anyone contribute anything regarding this wonderful, and unforgettable, battle?

Only asking out of curiosity, mind, for I have little to offer regrading this complicated and very controversial subject, but if I did, would I be permitted to make that contribution here!!!!
Start a thread on Waterloo Keith and make your points, questions or opinions known.

Regards

Gaz
Old 21 May 12, 06:20
Second Lieutenant
England

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsirgarnet View Post
Start a thread on Waterloo Keith and make your points, questions or opinions known.

Regards

Gaz
I already have, my friend, on several occasions - I was merely checking to see whether I would be able to gate-crash this Waterloo 1815 party or not!

As it is, I find my "Waterloo Period" contributions more apt for other Threads, rather than this one, but should I find something suitable, I shan't hasitate to contribute - but thank you so much for all your very kind, and supportive, comments - very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Old 21 May 12, 10:02
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

I read somewhere that, if one of the multitude of froggy horsemen that overran the Allied gunline, had have looked in the pannnion boxes he would have found the headless nails each gun had so it's crew could spike it?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!