HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 02 May 12, 15:32
Recruit
United_States

BSquared18 is a balanced individual [0]
Looking for Recommendation for Civil War Memorial in Georgia

Hello,

Later this month, my wife and I will be traveling along I-75 through Georgia.

I've always had an interest in the Civil War. Since we won't be able to spend a lot of time in Georgia, if we were to spend half a day or so at just one Civil War battlefield memorial and/or museum that's within easy driving distance of I-75 in Georgia, which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bill
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 May 12, 15:36
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stone Mountain just outside Atlanta.

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 02 May 12, 18:16
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
Second that because the area around Stone Mountain offers a mix of things to see and do. If you have folks that don't think spending all day talking CW is marvelous it is the place to go.

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 02 May 12, 18:24
Recruit
United_States

Thanks to both of you. Any others? Or is there a consensus that's the best of the best?

Bill
Old 02 May 12, 18:31
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
Kennesaw Mountain might be interesting for you.
Old 03 May 12, 00:33
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99]
Of course, the biggie is Chickamagua, just across the TN line.
A little further downhill is Kennsaw Mt., close to I75.
Stone MT. is east of 75 a bit, and is a bear to be around during a rush hour! People like to hike the MT and such, but trying it in the summer would be suicide except for the morning (early).
Old 03 May 12, 04:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgronski View Post
Of course, the biggie is Chickamagua, just across the TN line.
A little further downhill is Kennsaw Mt., close to I75.
Stone MT. is east of 75 a bit, and is a bear to be around during a rush hour! People like to hike the MT and such, but trying it in the summer would be suicide except for the morning (early).
You ride the cable car and just walk around on top! Atlanta traffic.....ugggghhhh!!!

That is why the place isn't on the retirement location list!

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 03 May 12, 07:08
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
I enjoyed Kennesaw Mountain.
Old 03 May 12, 07:20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99]
Yeah, lol (cablecar)..higher the mountain= closer to the sun (or so it seems).

It has gotten even worse since Atlanta Govt has made the HOV lane into a toll rd (you have to have a pre-pad sticker as well) which has had the wonderful effect of making all the remainder lanes more congested.
A warning to the novice traveller on the Stone Mt. Freeway= travel at your own risk!
People from LA b**** about the traffic when they move there- NO LIE! I didn't think anything could make a laid back LALA-lander surly until they've driven the Atlanta traffic for a few days, then they become like the rest of us, LOL.
Old 03 May 12, 09:42
Recruit
United_States

It would work better for our itinerary if the site were somewhat south of Atlanta. Although about 45 minutes off I75, Andersonville is well located for our purposes. Any opinions about that site? I've seen some favorable reviews, and I still have memories of reading the vivid novel Andersonville as a teenager.

Bill
Sponsored Links

Old 04 May 12, 05:30
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
I'd lean towards Chickimauga..

or Chattanooga, which technically isn;t in Georgia
even though both places are in just about the same place
Old 07 May 12, 23:51
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100] Widow Maker has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared18 View Post
It would work better for our itinerary if the site were somewhat south of Atlanta. Although about 45 minutes off I75, Andersonville is well located for our purposes. Any opinions about that site? I've seen some favorable reviews, and I still have memories of reading the vivid novel Andersonville as a teenager.

Bill
If you are down that far south on I-75 then Georgia has a state park at Irwinville at the location where Jefferson Davis was captured. There is a museum there. I have not been there since I was in elementary school so I can't say much about the contents but it is less than 10 miles off I-75.
Old 09 May 12, 10:01
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
As someone who lives about 5 mins off I-75, I can tell you that Chickamauga/Chattanooga offer the best battlefield experiences for the amount of distance you have to travel. Kennesaw is a close second. All are beautiful & within 15 mins of the interstate.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!