StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Console Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Console Gaming One stop for all your console related discussions!

Old 27 Dec 11, 11:03
Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

oldmgunner is on the path to success [1-99]
Good Old Games

I stumbled onto a website that has a lot of the early pc games we used to play. It's gog.com. I don't remember where I heard of the site, maybe here, but I found the original's of ArmA, ArmA Gold,and a ton more. And for the holidays, this week a bunch of them are 1/2 off.
Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a blast from the past or want to look for a game to finish up a collection.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Dec 11, 11:14
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100] Terry Patterson has demonstrated strength of character [100]
a lot of my old pc games wont even play on my newer computer. is there a way to fix this?
Old 05 Jan 12, 02:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400]
I found the only ancient game I wanted: Destroyer for Windows...showed Japanese warships.

-Matt

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!
Old 05 Jan 12, 11:17
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Patterson View Post
a lot of my old pc games wont even play on my newer computer. is there a way to fix this?
I haven't bought anything from GoG (yet) but it's my understanding that the site has them updated to play on a modern OS.

++ surfs over to website to confirm ++

Yup. I just looked at Baldur's Gate 2 over there. It's optimized to run all the way up to Win 7: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete/

Most of their games are really cheap and if you hang over there they do offer specials that are almost impossible to pass up.

OTOH, if you're technically inclined and don't want to spend the cash, try something like DOSBox that allows a modern OS to emulate DOS. Also, there is compatibility mode for newer(ish) games which works most of the time. Those can reach back to run something as old as Win 95 if you're looking to push the limit.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 06 Jan 12, 05:22
General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
GoG is amazing, I've gotten nearly 10 games off there, you can download them as much as you want to as many computers as you want, every game (Even witchers I and II) are DRM free.
Old 14 Jan 12, 14:23
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBlade View Post
I haven't bought anything from GoG (yet) but it's my understanding that the site has them updated to play on a modern OS.

++ surfs over to website to confirm ++

Yup. I just looked at Baldur's Gate 2 over there. It's optimized to run all the way up to Win 7: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete/

Most of their games are really cheap and if you hang over there they do offer specials that are almost impossible to pass up.

OTOH, if you're technically inclined and don't want to spend the cash, try something like DOSBox that allows a modern OS to emulate DOS. Also, there is compatibility mode for newer(ish) games which works most of the time. Those can reach back to run something as old as Win 95 if you're looking to push the limit.
I might finally be ab;e to update past XP Sp1 now!! They have Master of Orion on their list available all the way through 64-bit Windows 7.
Old 14 Jan 12, 14:38
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
And they have MegaRace (my first PC game). Hello again Mr Lance Boyle

But they have no High Seas Trader or Lords of the Realm 1 (both from Impressions Software).
Old 24 Jan 12, 08:27
jackaroda

Mine best old games list are:-

Tekken 3
Contra
Mario
Street Fighter
Need for Speed
Old 11 Feb 12, 03:38
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Master of Magic. Great game, and now I can play it again.

Thanks for posting this.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 16 Feb 12, 11:31
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99]
Tony Hawk
NBA Street
SSX

all are classics in my book

Old 02 Apr 12, 06:15
ashleywinglet

My favorite old games are Need for space and Super Mario games.I like these games from my childhood.I am very fond of these games.I love these game so much.
Old 17 Apr 12, 14:14
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

slick24 is simply cracking [600]
slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600] slick24 is simply cracking [600]
MechWarrior,
Wing Commander
Phantasmagoria

all of these series rocked on the PC
Old 21 Apr 12, 00:58
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Old games with me would mean Pitfall
Old 24 Apr 12, 09:37
General of the Forums
United_States

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
The question, how many will actually work in Windows 7 unless they have been tweaked so they will work?

The DOS version of Sim Earth worked on XP although its sound used the on board speaker of the CPU.

The Amiga Lemmings for PC works just fine in a window.

All the versions of Unreal work although they may need some settings tweaked to run full screen and at normal speed. It runs just fine at 1680x1050 display. There are also some very well programmed single player mods out there for the patched Unreal Tournament.

Painkiller also works in the 1680x1050 display. It's special effects take full advantage of the newer graphic cards. The ground fog in level one is really spooky. Ghost in Asylum really look like ghosts. But you need the latest patches to keep it from crashing in the last room in City On The Water.

On Looney Park, you can escape the fenced in area by jumping off the spiral ramp onto a building, then going around back and over the fence. From there, you can explore the entire back half of the park. You exit by climbing the long incline to the goodies on the walkway where you will then be teleported onto the roller coaster.

The Serious Sam series all work flawlessly. Still, pay the extra $5 to get the HD version as the graphics are so much better. Game play is the same in both versions with one exceptions. The original game gravity cylinder was much more fun when enemies could be anywhere on the cylinder at once. The HD version doesn't have that feature so it uses a mixing beater to push everything around inside until they fall off the beater.

I've had no luck with the original Duke Nukem. There are spots where it would crash in Windows 98. I will get the gog version if I know that it has been fixed so it will run in Windows 7

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 02 May 12, 13:35
Sergeant
United_States

oldmgunner is on the path to success [1-99]
Most of the games have a list of compatible operating systems, and from what I see they are from the original designers/manufacturers. At the price, I couldn't help but take the plunge (ArmA, ArmA Gold). I haven't been disappointed. I'm not urging anyone to do anything they are uncertain of, I'm just saying I was not disappointed.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!