HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 30 Apr 12, 09:22
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Movie alert (OT)

I may get booted for this, BUT-

For those of you that can't stand nasty words or have children in the house?

BEWARE of the movie "Contraband". The "F" word is used too frequent for me to watch. Dang near every conversation. I just threw it in the trash!!

Marshall

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Apr 12, 12:13
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
excessive use of the F word in movies is a poor replacement for language skills on the script writers part..
Old 30 Apr 12, 12:33
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100]
It's totally overused in almost all venues.
I think it destroyed what could have been one of the best TV series to come along in a long time....."Deadwood".
John

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
It's truly a simple concept.
Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!
Old 30 Apr 12, 12:38
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
I've often wondered if the word was even used in the late 1800's..
let alone all that common.

Fugg, I use the word all the time!
of course I deal with a bunch of Dumb Fuggs at my job so that seems to be the most common descriptive word we use..
but I don't fuggin think all that many people said Fugg You or go fugg yourself in the old days..

whatcha fuggin think about it? LOL
Old 30 Apr 12, 13:01
Major
United_States

mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanotLee View Post
It's totally overused in almost all venues.
I think it destroyed what could have been one of the best TV series to come along in a long time....."Deadwood".
John
This^

The show was almost unwatchable...the F-word became a distraction more than anything.
Old 30 Apr 12, 19:30
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
My Dad says that even in the WWII U.S. Navy he and his mates (with a few exceptions) kept the F-word to a minimum. Even today, he recoils in disappointment on those occasions when I use it.
Old 01 May 12, 11:52
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
My Dad says that even in the WWII U.S. Navy he and his mates (with a few exceptions) kept the F-word to a minimum. Even today, he recoils in disappointment on those occasions when I use it.

I don't know why he would be dissapointed.

the correct application and careful administration of Anglo Saxon epithets is an art form ..

sadly these words are so overused they become blase'
Old 01 May 12, 12:00
Major
United_States

mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Yes, it is a rare word that can be used as a verb, noun and adjective. It should be savored.
Old 01 May 12, 13:42
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICK View Post
I don't know why he would be dissapointed.

the correct application and careful administration of Anglo Saxon epithets is an art form ..

sadly these words are so overused they become blase'
My Dad is a devout Catholic, more now than when he fought. He doesn't like the F - bomb being dropped unless one is so absolutely angry that it is a good excuse to use.

So, that's not to say he never used the word, he's just very judicious about using it.
Old 01 May 12, 14:26
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
My own grandfather was the opposite. He wouldn't hesitate to cuss especially when fixing items that were uncooperative.

He would go through an entire range of cuss words in only a few seconds. It made my grandmother mad though.

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana

Last edited by semperpietas; 02 May 12 at 12:37..
Sponsored Links

Old 01 May 12, 15:29
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
Right before Carwood Lipton died he complained about the Band of Brothers mini series and its dirty language. He said that there was dirty language used but the show went overboard.
Old 01 May 12, 22:51
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
My own grandfather was the opposite. He wouldn't hesitate to cuss especially when fixing items that were uncooperative.

He would go through an entire range of cuss words in only a few seconds. It mad my grandmother mad though.
You describe me to a tee. I've cussed out more inanimate items than you can shake an f'g stick at.

My Dad only drops the f-bomb when he's extremely angry.

Last edited by TomDeFranco; 02 May 12 at 12:36..
Old 02 May 12, 05:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
I never heard my dad or any of my uncles or aunts use the big one, but they were certainly liberal with everything else. I don't hesitate in some, repeat some, instances.

It seems that we more and more see profanity or impolite language substituted for inspired dialogue. Apparently if you can cuss you don't need talent to make it in TV or movies.

Thanks for the heads up Marshall.

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 02 May 12, 05:51
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1J1 View Post
I never heard my dad or any of my uncles or aunts use the big one, but they were certainly liberal with everything else. I don't hesitate in some, repeat some, instances.

It seems that we more and more see profanity or impolite language substituted for inspired dialogue. Apparently if you can cuss you don't need talent to make it in TV or movies.

Thanks for the heads up Marshall.

Regards,
Dennis
You are welcome, Dennis. I never heard my mom and dad curse or use bad language.

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 02 May 12, 12:34
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkertail20 View Post
Right before Carwood Lipton died he complained about the Band of Brothers mini series and its dirty language. He said that there was dirty language used but the show went overboard.
I can believe that.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!