HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 30 Apr 12, 12:29
Sergeant Major
United_States

Gencallan has disabled reputation
Hey Cousin

How many of ya had family against family during the Civil War?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Apr 12, 12:42
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100] LeanotLee has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I did...but it's not uncommon here in Kentucky.

John

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
It's truly a simple concept.
Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!
Old 30 Apr 12, 13:15
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
Didn't happen to me, but I did have an ancestor who switched sides. If that counts.

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana
Old 30 Apr 12, 14:10
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Didn't the First Kentucky (CSA) face the First Kentucky (USA) at Gettysburg? I hear there were a lot of close kin there split up! I was a bit lucky in my ancestors stayed where they first signed up. I do have ancestors on both sides.

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 30 Apr 12, 14:28
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
Pruitt,

the 1st Kentucky regiment (the one with the ANV) was mustered out in April of 1862.

Like wise, the Union 1st Kentucky spent it's muster service in the Army of the Ohio/Army of the Cumberland and would not have seen action at Gettysburg.

Hence the only Kentuckians to see action at Gettysburg were officers like Buford and Hood or who fought in the regiments of other states.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Britannia Invasion:
Old 30 Apr 12, 16:20
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 

I thought it was Kentucky at Gettysburg. Maybe it was Missouri instead! Most of the CSA Kentucky units were converted to Cavalry later in the war (Orphan Brigade). Wasn't it the Breckenridges that had generals on both sides?

Pruitt

Old 30 Apr 12, 17:05
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
I thought it was Kentucky at Gettysburg. Maybe it was Missouri instead! Most of the CSA Kentucky units were converted to Cavalry later in the war (Orphan Brigade). Wasn't it the Breckenridges that had generals on both sides?

Pruitt
I don't think there any Missouri state regiments at Gettysburg either. Kentucky has a monument at Gettysburg, but that is due to Buford and the Kentuckians in Witcher's Battalion and the 37th Virginia.

You may be referring to the Maryland Battalions in Steuart's Brigade that attacked Culp's hill. They ended up fighting a northern Maryland unit.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Britannia Invasion:
Old 30 Apr 12, 17:42
General of the Forums
United_States

Chase,

I am at my daughter's house and have no Civil War books with me! Even then most of my best are in storage. I was of the opinion that most of the Maryland units in the ANV were composed of Virginians. I will of course argue the other way around with a Yankee Marylander!

Pruitt

Old 30 Apr 12, 18:26
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Chase,

I am at my daughter's house and have no Civil War books with me! Even then most of my best are in storage. I was of the opinion that most of the Maryland units in the ANV were composed of Virginians. I will of course argue the other way around with a Yankee Marylander!

Pruitt
There were Virginians recruited into the Maryland battalions, but there were still Marylanders in them. In fact Steuart himself was a Marylander.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Britannia Invasion:

Last edited by semperpietas; 30 Apr 12 at 19:39..
Old 30 Apr 12, 19:26
Major
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Not brother against brother but I have ancestors on both sides. And they were all from Southern Appalachia.

Old 30 Apr 12, 19:32
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
There were Virginians recruited into the Maryland battalions, but there were still Marylanders in them. In fact Stuert himself was a Marylander.
As was Trimble. BTW, I take it you mean George Steuart, the brigade commander under Allegheny Johnson?
Old 30 Apr 12, 19:39
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
As was Trimble. BTW, I take it you mean George Steuart, the brigade commander under Allegheny Johnson?
Yes. I meant Steuart. I will edit the correction.

Pyrrhus Travels West:

Britannia Invasion:
Old 30 Apr 12, 19:54
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
Yes. I meant Steuart. I will edit the correction.
No need to. I just wanted to clarify.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!