HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 29 Apr 12, 22:04
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post
Absolutely stellar job Eric.
Thank you, Jeff. I enjoyed filming that, as Brian's really easy to talk to, but as I said above, it's very strange watching myself on TV.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 29 Apr 12, 22:09
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
Tom, I am told that the video is available on the PCN site for a week after it airs, until the next episode replaces it.

Eric
Good stuff, Eric!! I didn't know that the one "what if" that you wonder about is a Buford v. Forrest battle in the west. That make me wonder, now, too. Of course there would be a lot of variables to consider, like terrain, how many on each side and how the fight would erupt.
Old 29 Apr 12, 22:13
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
Good stuff, Eric!! I didn't know that the one "what if" that you wonder about is a Buford v. Forrest battle in the west. That make me wonder, now, too. Of course there would be a lot of variables to consider, like terrain, how many on each side and how the fight would erupt.

Thanks, Tom. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The Abe vs. John angle is pretty irresistible to me. They used to call Abe Buford "Hellroaring Buford" because he was such a wild man. That would have been fun to play out.

Old 29 Apr 12, 22:33
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
And of course leadership styles. Forrest was more of a raider, and I don't think quite as tactically minded as Buford was.

Don't get me wrong. Both were excellent cavalrymen. Would be an excellent battle royale.
Old 29 Apr 12, 22:35
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Thanks, Tom. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The Abe vs. John angle is pretty irresistible to me. They used to call Abe Buford "Hellroaring Buford" because he was such a wild man. That would have been fun to play out.
Have you read the 2 volume set of books about Confederate generals of the western theater? One of the essays is about Abraham Buford. It's an excellent read. The series is edited by Larry Hewitt, and the late Art Bergeron. Terry Winschel and Gary Joiner are also involved. I recently submitted my review of the books to Blue & Gray. I couldn't say enough good about them. I hope Rick Sauers finds a way to get the review published - the books deserve whatever hype they can get.

Old 29 Apr 12, 22:38
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
And of course leadership styles. Forrest was more of a raider, and I don't think quite as tactically minded as Buford was.

Don't get me wrong. Both were excellent cavalrymen. Would be an excellent battle royale.
That would be an excellent read. Imagine Dave Powell, J.D. and Eric cooperating on a project comparing the relative strengths of each man.
Old 29 Apr 12, 22:43
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
That would be an excellent read. Imagine Dave Powell, J.D. and Eric cooperating on a project comparing the relative strengths of each man.
There's a project under way that will be interesting. It's JD and me, and my friend Greg Biggs, focusing on the evolution of the federal cavalry in 1863 by focusing on Buford's command, Grierson's raid, Minty, and Wilder. We think it's interesting stuff.

Old 30 Apr 12, 08:53
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
There's a project under way that will be interesting. It's JD and me, and my friend Greg Biggs, focusing on the evolution of the federal cavalry in 1863 by focusing on Buford's command, Grierson's raid, Minty, and Wilder. We think it's interesting stuff.
Sounds interesting to me. Greg is a great one for the Atlanta Campaign. I didn't know his interests extended to cavalry, too.
Old 30 Apr 12, 12:49
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
Will look for this Eric, thanks for the heads up!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!