HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > The Middle East

Notices and Announcements

The Middle East Asia Minor, the Arab Mahgreb, and the Persian Gulf to include tensions between Israel and its Arab neighbors, Terrorist organizations and Iran.

Old 30 Apr 12, 03:40
Major
UK

History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99]
Post Article in the Guardian on Isreal/Iran

Found this article in the Guardian on the potential Isreali/Iran conflict. Bear in mind that the Guardian is a leftwing paper I wondered what people on here thought of it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-want-war-iran
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Apr 12, 06:30
Brigadier General
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500]
nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500] nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500] nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500] nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500] nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500] nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500] nikolas93TS is a jewel in the rough [500]
I cannot express my idea on Israel people desire,or better lack of desire,to attack Iran.I don't live there,and article could be possibly misleading with selected quotes.

I am sure nobody wants Iranian nuke,but there is certainly resistance to open hostility.Cover operations bring some advantages.That is logical in my mind.

However,aside my considerations,I don't like when people discard anything from Guardian,just because they are "leftist".I read everything,from left to right,and while I can disagree,I do take some considerations from both ends of spectrum.
Unfortunately many people stick to only one source.

Косово је Србија!
Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page
Old 30 Apr 12, 07:29
Major
UK

History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99] History fan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolas93TS View Post
I cannot express my idea on Israel people desire,or better lack of desire,to attack Iran.I don't live there,and article could be possibly misleading with selected quotes.

I am sure nobody wants Iranian nuke,but there is certainly resistance to open hostility.Cover operations bring some advantages.That is logical in my mind.

However,aside my considerations,I don't like when people discard anything from Guardian,just because they are "leftist".I read everything,from left to right,and while I can disagree,I do take some considerations from both ends of spectrum.

I agree and I think this is a pretty good article and its always noticeable when some people dont post as it contradicts there strawman arguments
Old 30 Apr 12, 08:26
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolas93TS View Post

Agreed.

I am personally not a fan of the Guardian, the reasons outlined in this blog: http://markhumphrys.com/guardian.html. Articles defending communism and religious fundamentalist are not rare in the Guardian. But I read them. I also read Chomsky and Moore, etc, sometimes, as much as I can stomach, because I think one has to take both sides of the story into consideration and prove if it's wrong.

I'm admittedly pretty-strongly pro-Israel, but I honestly don't know enough about this situation to comment or rebut this article.

-- Christopher Hitchens
Old 30 Apr 12, 08:54
Sergeant
Israel

Vector has disabled reputation
Well, as an Israeli, I must agree with the statement that most Israelis don't want war with Iran. On the flip side, I guess most of us understand that at some point or other there might not be a choice, although I do believe the situation is much more complex.

First and foremost, it's not just about Israel. Quite a few Arab states would put resources into denying Iran the nuclear weapon, since it would significantly tip the balance in the region. Israel is only part of the equation; moreover, it's the only part that can defend itself against direct nuclear attack delivered via a ballistic missile.

What Israelis fear, though, is not such an attack, but Iran delivering such weapons to terror groups around, such as Hizballah in Lebanon, HAMAS in Gaza, FATAH in the West Bank or some new group (such as one in Golan Heights, according to news reports from a couple of years back). Not to mention it could also be within AQ's reach. In this case, a scenario of an attack by a dirty bomb becomes a real threat.

And yet, I don't believe Iran would walk this path. If ayatollahs would share the goods with terror groups, Iran would be demolished and would become a nuclear wasteland. On the contrary, just having it in its posession would make it much stronger and give it many more cards, particularly vis-a-vis Israel and the Saudis.
Old 30 Apr 12, 09:21
General
South_Africa

andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200]
I do not fear Iran giving the nukes away. But they may not have them secure enough to stop a theft. It will not be a nuke but if some radical group got hold of some radioactive material they could do a dirty bomb strike with or with out Iran's consent

CPO Mzinyati

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!