HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 30 Apr 12, 01:06
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder76 View Post
The discussion is far from moot when some modern drugs for conditions like breast cancer are not allowed on the NHS due entirely to the cost of treatment. Do the women (and men for that matter) not deserve the best treatment available if they contract a life threating disease through no fault of their own? After all they pay for the NHS in their taxes.

The NHS cannot afford to treat every condition, and, frankly, was never intended to by the people who conceived it.
If the NHS can say they wont treat my diseases because of this and that, then I should be able to say that I wont be paying for it.

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Old 30 Apr 12, 04:43
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500]
Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder76 View Post
This, in my humble opinion, is the most pertinant comment in the whole article.

I think there has to be a realisation that the NHS in the modern age cannot afford to be a catch-all service, and in many ways it isn't already. In assisted pregancy for example if you already have a child or have had three attempts you have to go private.

The problem is what to cover, where to draw the lines? Should the NHS be purely for life threatening conditions? If so should things like treatment for depression be covered?

If non-lifethreatening mental health issues are covered should breast augmentations, for example, also continue to be covered where a patient's chronic negative self image and associated mental health issues would be improved?

When it comes to smoking, I admit I fall into the virulently opposed ex-smoker camp, but when someone voluntarily takes up a habit that has absolutely no positive effects but will be severly detrimental to their health then my position is sure, smoke if you like but don't come crying to me as a taxpayer when you end up with emphysema.

It may come as no suprise then that I completely back proposals to have blank packets stored out of sight.
As an ex-smoker I do have some sympathy with the argument that is being made - the NHS does, after all, have finite resources. And people are making a choice to inflict an incredibly dangerous practice on themselves. But a smoker could very well turn around and point out that as a group smokers contribute far more to the state in tax and VAT than the NHS spends taking care of them. Having said that I hope society will continue to be increasingly intolerant of smoking. There really is no good argument for allowing smoking, or drinking for that matter, and then banning other drugs.

How far does this approach go - do you provide less healthcare to those who do extreme sports or those who do not exercise enough? What about those who take other drugs - if someone comes in suffering from a heroin overdose should they be left to take their chances? If not why not - they chose to take it.

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
Grandad, Only Fools and Horses
Old 02 May 12, 13:20
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200]
would be interested to know how much tax is collected from the sale of tobacco and how much tobacco related health care cost the NHS, that is the key stats on this for me.

I did smoke, now on electronic smokes, as good as the real thing for any curious and no harm, or annual tax hike for that matter.

I am with private health care because I can afford it but I would not like to see the NHS butchered this way, its a slippery slope.
I know for a fact the the NHS does not use its resources without a shed load of waste, id rather it mused over that than wether or not to treat the sick.

All I can say is that I am fully behind knocking their pensions into shape asap.

If a smokers Tobacco tax does not pay for his operations then surely his tobacco tax should not fund the doctors and nurses retirements either.
Old 02 May 12, 13:35
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLYGUTS View Post
I did smoke, now on electronic smokes, as good as the real thing for any curious and no harm, or annual tax hike for that matter.
Really?

Electronic cigarettes? How does that work?

Is the smoking sensation the same as with real cigs?

Philip
Old 02 May 12, 14:12
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200] UGLYGUTS is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplaos View Post
Really?

Electronic cigarettes? How does that work?

Is the smoking sensation the same as with real cigs?

Philip
Does for me, plus there is no smell to the smoke as its just water vapour, technically I can now smoke in the cinema, still gives a dose of nicotine etc, also its much cheaper than the real thing,
You have to drag on it a bit harder but thats the only real difference, it took a few days to get used to, bit like switching brands of something, tasted a bit different but after a few days my taste buds adjusted and the E-cig was my brand as it were.
The worst part of it is starting out, cost me 50 pounds but I got a 1000 cigs worth of smoking time for that, 1000 cigs at 5 pound per pack of 20 (and its way more than a fiver these days)= 250 so I have cut my smoking bill by a 5th. plus its 100 percent tar free etc,
Happily recommend them to any who do not actually want to quit, I didnt but the new girl didnt like me smoking so I went onto this, can now smoke next to her, no smell, bad breath etc and no cancer risk.

I love smoking and can now do it with no risk and cheaper, its been an utter god send.

Without my misses nagging I would still be on normal cigs but I am glad she did, the money ive saved has been put to much better use.
Reckon ive save well over a grand so far and not lost my vice as such.

Our tobacco is very expensive though, abroad the savings might not enter into it depending on where you live.

Can provide links to where I got mine if wanted, though if you shop around there might be newer makes or better deals now.

Old 02 May 12, 15:07
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Does for me, plus there is no smell to the smoke as its just water vapour, technically I can now smoke in the cinema, still gives a dose of nicotine etc, also its much cheaper than the real thing,
You have to drag on it a bit harder but thats the only real difference, it took a few days to get used to, bit like switching brands of something, tasted a bit different but after a few days my taste buds adjusted and the E-cig was my brand as it were.
The worst part of it is starting out, cost me 50 pounds but I got a 1000 cigs worth of smoking time for that, 1000 cigs at 5 pound per pack of 20 (and its way more than a fiver these days)= 250 so I have cut my smoking bill by a 5th. plus its 100 percent tar free etc,
Happily recommend them to any who do not actually want to quit, I didnt but the new girl didnt like me smoking so I went onto this, can now smoke next to her, no smell, bad breath etc and no cancer risk.

I love smoking and can now do it with no risk and cheaper, its been an utter god send.

Without my misses nagging I would still be on normal cigs but I am glad she did, the money ive saved has been put to much better use.
Reckon ive save well over a grand so far and not lost my vice as such.

Our tobacco is very expensive though, abroad the savings might not enter into it depending on where you live.

Can provide links to where I got mine if wanted, though if you shop around there might be newer makes or better deals now.
Very interesting.

They deliver some nicotine? So I suppose that satisfies the addiction.

Yeah...links would be great if you've got them.

Thanks.

Philip
Old 03 May 12, 14:35
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I've seen these advertised in the newspapers. Not of any interest to me as a non-smoker, but I did have a character in RP use one.

Personal Blog
Old 03 May 12, 22:34
Lieutenant General
Australia
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
would be interested to know how much tax is collected from the sale of tobacco and how much tobacco related health care cost the NHS, that is the key stats on this for me.

I am with private health care because I can afford it but I would not like to see the NHS butchered this way, its a slippery slope.
I know for a fact the the NHS does not use its resources without a shed load of waste, id rather it mused over that than wether or not to treat the sick.

All I can say is that I am fully behind knocking their pensions into shape asap.

If a smokers Tobacco tax does not pay for his operations then surely his tobacco tax should not fund the doctors and nurses retirements either.
That raises an interesting point.

Does the tax levied on tobacco more than offset the extra demands placed upon the system by the legacy that smoking bestows upon its victims ?
"History haunts even generations who refuse to (acknowledge it). Rhythms,patterns,continuities,drift out of long time forgotten to mould the present and to colour the shape of things to come". Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Old 04 May 12, 05:25
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
That raises an interesting point.

Does the tax levied on tobacco more than offset the extra demands placed upon the system by the legacy that smoking bestows upon its victims ?
By a huge, massive amount. Even more so when you consider smokers as a group will be drawing pensions for a far shorter period than non-smokers.

It should be encouraged
Old 04 May 12, 08:55
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500]
Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500]
Sir Humphrey Appleby would be proud of you. (For our non Brits that is Yes Prime Minister The Smoke Screen)

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
Grandad, Only Fools and Horses
Old 04 May 12, 17:26
General
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplaos View Post
Guess there's likely to be no cheap medical upside for me returning to the UK then.

More at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-smokers-obese
OK.

Even as a non smoker I can't agree with the smoking thing. My parents smoked and I know why. They needed a cheap relaxant and became chronically addicted on the 10 second fix. They didn't know better and until real anti-smoking education kicks in, people will still do it. Its simply too addictive to stop without extreme effort.

However...

In terms of the (voluntarily) obese I have no sympathy whatsoever and agree with non treatment. Ignorance is simply no excuse as even the dumbest person knows (by how they feel and function bodily) that over eating, taking no exercise and becoming a sixteen-plus stone lard bucket isn't good for you.

There is simply no excuse for being voluntarily over weight.

Gaz
Old 04 May 12, 17:31
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsirgarnet View Post
In terms of the (voluntarily) obese I have no sympathy whatsoever and agree with non treatment. Ignorance is simply no excuse as even the dumbest person knows (by how they feel and function bodily) that over eating, taking no exercise and becoming a sixteen-plus stone lard bucket isn't good for you.

There is simply no excuse for being voluntarily over weight.

Gaz
How about homosexuals who frequent gay bathhouses or otherwise engage in risky behaviors, and contract STI's? Should they not also be denied treatment on the taxpayers' dime, as they're victims of their own poor choices, as well?

How about motorcycle riders? Skiers? People who drive too fast?

Just wonderin'.
Old 04 May 12, 17:58
General
UK

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
How about homosexuals who frequent gay bathhouses or otherwise engage in risky behaviors, and contract STI's? Should they not also be denied treatment on the taxpayers' dime, as they're victims of their own poor choices, as well?

How about motorcycle riders? Skiers? People who drive too fast?

Just wonderin'.
Bolshi' bastard up for a debate eh?

Gays = no treatment, as they should now (as should straights) be well aware of the problems of unprotected sex. Therefore probing unprotected up some dirty front or back hole seems deliberately courting (sick pun intended) disaster and so I would argue, no treatment.

Accidents = Yes to treatment. As most 'dangerous' activities now come with a host of mandatory safety requirements which you can be prosecuted for not following, then accidents in the most part are simply random events. Therefore its assumed, unless you have a death wish, that you have followed the safety requirements and just been unlucky and so you get treated.

Gaz
Old 04 May 12, 17:59
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have a better idea, one that would keep the political busy-body class out of people's lives altogether:

disband the NHS.
Old 04 May 12, 18:10
General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
I have a better idea, one that would keep the political busy-body class out of people's lives altogether:

disband the NHS.
Cheap shot and very unworthy...

If I were to reply in kind I would answer better the NHS than the US system where literally millions of children aren't covered by health insurance.

However, as I'm above that kind of reply I will answer by saying that as you well know, the NHS in the first few years after its founding was a great success. The problems came with that success in that as people lived significantly longer the requirements on the NHS outsripped its subscriptive economics, and since the late 50's tax subventions have kept it going.

Not perfect yes, but it works and has worked for me though my lifetime.

Gaz
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!