StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 29 Apr 12, 04:08
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Steam has been having a F2P weekend for CoD:MW3, so out of curiosity I gave it a try. Now I have to say that I am hooked. I'm not the biggest CoD fan, but I have played the very first CoD, CoD:MW1 and CoD: Black Ops (the worse of the bunch due to game breaking bugs on the PC version - thanks Treyarch ). With that in mind, it is interesting to see how CoD has evolved over the years.

MW1 had claustrophobicly small maps that were sheer madness; that game was a true "run and gun" as if you stood in place for more than a few seconds, you would inevitably be gunned down by some player that spawned behind you. Add in a never ending crescendo of explosions and gunfire, and you had what always seemed to me to be a lunatic asylum that somehow had gotten its hands on weaponry. Black Ops, on the other hands, showed some improvement by including larger maps (not much larger, mind you), and a definitive toning down of airstrikes. BlOps would have been a nice evolution of the series but for the aforementioned PC bugs that ruined the game for me (how would you like to log on one day and find that your level and gear had been taken away by a bug? Happened three times to me alone. ).

And now MW3 is here, and you can see the evolution again. After spending about three hours in MP in MW3, you can definitely see that Battlefield influenced MW3. The maps have been upsized again (but nowhere nearly as large as those in BC2 or BF3, naturally), so there is more room for maneuver, as well as camping. MW3 even features a new conquest mode with sizable maps (again, not BF3 sizable), 18 players and longer timed rounds a la Battlefield. Also, even though there isn't destructible terrain in MW3 as in Battlefield, Infinity Ward has filled every map with destructible bits and pieces, from furniture, to cars, windows, plant pots...just about everything. I was pleasantly surprised to see how this made the maps come alive in a way that no previous CoD did. It is pretty cool to see the destruction mount up after a nasty battle. Lastly, as a way of getting some vehicles in the game, MW3 features a lot more air power that can be called in for airstrikes, etc (my favorite being a three helicopter attack run). And, like in Battlefield, you can also try to shoot them down. Lastly, they added in a lot of WMDs, from EMPs, to MOABs and other nasty stuff, making for an apocalyptic flavoring at times (which is helped by some nice map art direction).

I think one area where MW3 beats Battlefield (Bad Company 2 - can't speak for BF3...yet ) are the many, many game modes. There really are a ton of them, from covering the usual stalwarts (conquest, death match), to some new ones like "Kill Confirmed" where you need to collect the dog tags of killed opponents. Fun stuff.

Anyway, if you are curious about the new MW3, take a look at the F2P weekend (ends tomorrow at 3pm EDT). With the game being 33% off, I definitely can see myself adding it to my collection.

Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 29 Apr 12 at 22:31..
Old 08 May 12, 20:58
Captain
United_States

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Heads up:

A new patch has been released for the PC today, as well as the first content pack:

I just tried the Black Box map and thought it was scary good in the sense that it involves Air Force One crashed into the center of a residential neighborhood. To walk through all the shattered homes was disturbing. But it also made for some good firefights.
Old 08 May 12, 22:58
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
Steam has been having a F2P weekend for CoD:MW3, so out of curiosity I gave it a try. Now I have to say that I am hooked. I'm not the biggest CoD fan, but I have played the very first CoD, CoD:MW1 and CoD: Black Ops (the worse of the bunch due to game breaking bugs on the PC version - thanks Treyarch ). With that in mind, it is interesting to see how CoD has evolved over the years.

MW1 had claustrophobicly small maps that were sheer madness; that game was a true "run and gun" as if you stood in place for more than a few seconds, you would inevitably be gunned down by some player that spawned behind you. Add in a never ending crescendo of explosions and gunfire, and you had what always seemed to me to be a lunatic asylum that somehow had gotten its hands on weaponry. Black Ops, on the other hands, showed some improvement by including larger maps (not much larger, mind you), and a definitive toning down of airstrikes. BlOps would have been a nice evolution of the series but for the aforementioned PC bugs that ruined the game for me (how would you like to log on one day and find that your level and gear had been taken away by a bug? Happened three times to me alone. ).

And now MW3 is here, and you can see the evolution again. After spending about three hours in MP in MW3, you can definitely see that Battlefield influenced MW3. The maps have been upsized again (but nowhere nearly as large as those in BC2 or BF3, naturally), so there is more room for maneuver, as well as camping. MW3 even features a new conquest mode with sizable maps (again, not BF3 sizable), 18 players and longer timed rounds a la Battlefield. Also, even though there isn't destructible terrain in MW3 as in Battlefield, Infinity Ward has filled every map with destructible bits and pieces, from furniture, to cars, windows, plant pots...just about everything. I was pleasantly surprised to see how this made the maps come alive in a way that no previous CoD did. It is pretty cool to see the destruction mount up after a nasty battle. Lastly, as a way of getting some vehicles in the game, MW3 features a lot more air power that can be called in for airstrikes, etc (my favorite being a three helicopter attack run). And, like in Battlefield, you can also try to shoot them down. Lastly, they added in a lot of WMDs, from EMPs, to MOABs and other nasty stuff, making for an apocalyptic flavoring at times (which is helped by some nice map art direction).

I think one area where MW3 beats Battlefield (Bad Company 2 - can't speak for BF3...yet ) are the many, many game modes. There really are a ton of them, from covering the usual stalwarts (conquest, death match), to some new ones like "Kill Confirmed" where you need to collect the dog tags of killed opponents. Fun stuff.

Anyway, if you are curious about the new MW3, take a look at the F2P weekend (ends tomorrow at 3pm EDT). With the game being 33% off, I definitely can see myself adding it to my collection.
How would you compare it to previous CoD's?
Old 08 May 12, 23:54
Captain
United_States

I'm not much of a CoD player, so my experience is limited to the original MW and Black Ops. Compared to MW, MW3 is a big improvement with roomier maps and none of the airstrike spam of that title. I never liked the MP in MW1, so for me to be addicted to the MP in MW3 says a lot. Compared to the MP in BlOps, its about the same. I didn't play a lot of BlOps either, mostly due to the random stat reset bug that quickly got on my nerves, but from what I remember, the two are close.
Old 08 May 12, 23:56
Major
United_States

ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I'm not much of a CoD player, so my experience is limited to the original MW and Black Ops. Compared to MW, MW3 is a big improvement with roomier maps and none of the airstrike spam of that title. I never liked the MP in MW1, so for me to be addicted to the MP in MW3 says a lot. Compared to the MP in BlOps, its about the same. I didn't play a lot of BlOps either, mostly due to the random stat reset bug that quickly got on my nerves, but from what I remember, the two are close.
Do you mean MW2 ? or the original Cod 4 MW
Old 08 May 12, 23:57
Captain
United_States

The original Modern Warfare. I skipped MW2 altogether.
Old 09 May 12, 10:42
Major
United_States

Quote:
The original Modern Warfare. I skipped MW2 altogether.
Why is that? MW was good and really had none of the issues with air support like in MW2
Old 10 May 12, 14:32
Banned
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Time to blow it out on MW3 this summer, the next Black Ops is going to drop in the fall...
Old 10 May 12, 14:37
Major
United_States

You think it will be good? I enjoyed Blackops the most out of all the other Cod games
Old 10 May 12, 14:40
Banned
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I don't know, they're taking a futuristic turn, and I don't really dig that idea...
Sponsored Links

Old 10 May 12, 14:43
Major
United_States

I feel ya, COD shouldn't turn into another Halo
Old 10 May 12, 17:30
Captain
United_States

It depends on how futuristic they go. I agree - I don't want CoD turning into Planetside 2 or Star Wars. However, a near future/cyberpunk/Ghost Recon type of setting could be a lot of fun and fit the CQB nature of the franchise (Ghost Recon Online and Blacklight Retribution have convinced me of this ).

Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 10 May 12 at 17:41..
Old 10 May 12, 20:01
Banned
Pirate
SPQR Campaign 

To me, it seems like they've dabbled with the near future quite a bit already... I'd prefer they take a step back.

In fact, with all their new gameplay devices and gimmicks, they really need to take at least one more shot at WWII.

And of course, Korea and Vietnam could give them another dozen titles, easy.
Old 10 May 12, 21:53
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post
To me, it seems like they've dabbled with the near future quite a bit already... I'd prefer they take a step back.

In fact, with all their new gameplay devices and gimmicks, they really need to take at least one more shot at WWII.

That would kill the franchise for me. I am sick to death of WWII, and Korea just gets a meh from me. Vietnam---interesting, but seeing how that setting made for lackluster BC2 DLC, I don't think it would be all that much fun.

How about: CoD: The Middle Ages?
Old 11 May 12, 00:31
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post

I think a near future is the most logical a Homefront with better funding and multi-player. so it would be a 2050's sort of game which will give a bit more artistic freedom without turning galactic.

A Korea would be good fun and would really bring attention to the Forgotten War.

Blackops did graze over Vietnam.. a lesser extent to what i wished, so there's definitely room in there still.

WW2 has been done to death and the market still needs a few more years to air it out. That said WaW was my favourite COD, played it the full year and then went back to it from MW2.

I could See a Civil War Throwback, especially with the interest in Special weapons like the tomahawk, and ballistic knives.

I personally would love a WW1, however can't imagine a COD Multiplayer for it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!