HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central Discussion of current and exclusive political nature takes place here. .

Old 27 Apr 12, 11:30
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400]
jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400] jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400] jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400] jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400] jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400] jeffdoorgunnr has a spectacular aura about [400]
Guess I caught a couple of people who lost their sense of humour...........
Old 27 Apr 12, 11:53
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
sorry folks..... heres the other side of things...........http://finance.yahoo.com/news/social...175539433.html
From the nonsensical opinion piece from a Reuters reporter that you linked to...
"Please, please remember that exhaustion is an actuarial term of art and it does not mean there will be no money left to pay any benefits" he warned in issuing the trustees' annual report on the financial health of the Social Security program.

"After 2033, even if Congress does nothing, there will still be sufficient assets (from payroll taxes) to pay about 75 percent of benefits. That's not acceptable, but it's still a fact that there will still be substantial assets there," Astrue insisted.

This year's report shows some acceleration of the drawdown of Social Security's vast trust fund reserves. Absent Congressional action, the trust funds of the retirement and disability programs are expected to be exhausted in 2033 as baby-boomer retirements accelerate - three years sooner than projected a year ago.

But Astrue went out of his way to emphasize that the program is far from broke. Social Security took in $69 billion more than it spent last year, according to the report, when you include tax receipts and interest on bonds held in the Social Security Trust Fund (SSTF). The SSTF had reserves of $2.7 trillion last year.
On its current course, by 2033, Social Security benefits will have to be cut by 25% or the Social Security tax will have to be increased by 33% or some equivalent combination of benefit cuts and tax increases will have to be implemented.

To those who don't already have about half their income stolen by gov't, that may not sound so daunting. But, the problem is that Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and ObamaCare benefits are on course to consume 100% of Federal revenue by 2049...

Irrespective of tax rates or tax structure, the Federal gov't has never been able to steal more than 18% of the economy on a sustained basis. There is no way to tax Social Security back into solvency. The only way to prevent it from going broke is to convert it into a defined contribution plan and privatize it.

I'd rather have my next 15-20 years of social insurance "premiums" deposited into my 401k, rather than gamble on the current system delivering even a fraction of my previous 30+ years of "contributions," much less any return on that "investment"... Particularly if I could get the employer portion too.
Old 27 Apr 12, 15:01
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
From the nonsensical opinion piece from a Reuters reporter that you linked to...
"Please, please remember that exhaustion is an actuarial term of art and it does not mean there will be no money left to pay any benefits" he warned in issuing the trustees' annual report on the financial health of the Social Security program.

"After 2033, even if Congress does nothing, there will still be sufficient assets (from payroll taxes) to pay about 75 percent of benefits. That's not acceptable, but it's still a fact that there will still be substantial assets there," Astrue insisted.

This year's report shows some acceleration of the drawdown of Social Security's vast trust fund reserves. Absent Congressional action, the trust funds of the retirement and disability programs are expected to be exhausted in 2033 as baby-boomer retirements accelerate - three years sooner than projected a year ago.

But Astrue went out of his way to emphasize that the program is far from broke. Social Security took in $69 billion more than it spent last year, according to the report, when you include tax receipts and interest on bonds held in the Social Security Trust Fund (SSTF). The SSTF had reserves of $2.7 trillion last year.
On its current course, by 2033, Social Security benefits will have to be cut by 25% or the Social Security tax will have to be increased by 33% or some equivalent combination of benefit cuts and tax increases will have to be implemented.

To those who don't already have about half their income stolen by gov't, that may not sound so daunting. But, the problem is that Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and ObamaCare benefits are on course to consume 100% of Federal revenue by 2049...

Irrespective of tax rates or tax structure, the Federal gov't has never been able to steal more than 18% of the economy on a sustained basis. There is no way to tax Social Security back into solvency. The only way to prevent it from going broke is to convert it into a defined contribution plan and privatize it.

I'd rather have my next 15-20 years of social insurance "premiums" deposited into my 401k, rather than gamble on the current system delivering even a fraction of my previous 30+ years of "contributions," much less any return on that "investment"... Particularly if I could get the employer portion too.
Yep - then you could get wiped out by Obamanomics, like the Colorado PERA Fund was.

So long as the government continues to collect that tax, it will be required to repay it when due.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!