HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 29 Mar 12, 14:25
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
Up here in my part of the northeast we have no CW battlefields but we sure do have some ghostly places. Just up the lane from me is a spot where there was an Indian massacre in the very late 1600s. When I look out my dining room windows I can see the spot and sometimes, if the lighting is just right, I can feel the terror that those early inhabitants of my house must have felt when that event occurred.
Old 29 Mar 12, 14:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Ghost na! My lats visit to Gettysburg I had the angel all to myself on a fine summer day. I sat for a good while and stared out across to the Confederate lines and sort of lost myself in time and space in the then quite place. Maybe not ghost but feeling the history that took place there and all the life's that were changed there in a small part of time all those long years ago.
"In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays. Forms change and pass, bodies disappear, but spirits linger to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls."

J. L. Chamberlain

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Old 29 Mar 12, 15:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800] Jose50 gives and gets respect [800]
Excellent quote!
Old 02 Apr 12, 00:27
Lieutenant General
United_States

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
I guess I am a believer but I have never seen a ghost. Been to Gettysburg hundreds of times and have even walked part of the field at night.... nothing.

I have also stayed at the Cashtown in.... nothing.

The ghost in the window has a gigantic head.
Old 02 Apr 12, 00:46
General of the Forums
United_States
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500] 101combatvet is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkertail20 View Post
The ghost in the window has a gigantic head.
Photoshop.
Sponsored Links

Old 02 Apr 12, 08:35
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Photoshop.
Probably.

I think for me to fully believe I would have to see a ghost - not just a chair moving slightly or a door upstairs closing. I have had things like that happen. I mean full out see something floating in front of me.
Old 02 Apr 12, 19:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Photoshop.
That, or a very similar photo has been around for a while.....probably worked up by the same people who bring us the "definitive proof" videos of Bigfoot!

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 23 Apr 12, 14:25
Sergeant Major
United_States

Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99]
Oh boy-here we go. I have a few ghost stories. But let me start by saying that I have never myself seen a ghost. I have heard strange things and experienced things that I cannot fully explain away, but I'm not a huge believer in ghosts. I won't discount them entirely however.

My first experience was at Gettysburg in around 1993. I had a friend that lived in Hanover, and two of my friends and I went on a road trip our senior year of high school. We were from Michigan and it was our first visit to Gettysburg. One summer night at the battlefield, there were 7 of us that stayed a little longer than we should have. We were up in Devil's Den and my two buddies were using a Ouija board. They supposedly contacted a Union soldier killed during the battle and were "talking" to him, asking him about his death, the girl he left behind, etc. My friend Steve was joking around and asked the spirit to meet us down at the cars (Devil's Den had a parking lot at the base of it and then some woods across from that). My friend Brian, who had apparently had some bad experiences with the Ouija board began cussing him out. Some minutes later after horsing around and deciding we had better get out of the park, we decided to leave, and the 7 of us made our way down to the cars. I was one of the last one's down, and before I got to our car, I heard my friend Steve and one of the girl's we were with cry out. When I got to the cars, they were both looking into the woods, jaws wide open, and pointing straight ahead. Some of the others gasped, while I was standing there going, "What?! What is it? What?!" From what they told me after some minutes of silence, they saw a "glowing" man in a uniform with no face make his way out of the woods. Next to him appeared a woman in an 1800s-era dress (and also with a featureless face), complete with umbrella, both walking towards us. As more of us came down to the parking lot, the ghosts apparently stopped, and my friends and the apparitions stood staring at one another for probably half a minute or so. Myself and one other guy in our group were the only two out of seven of us that didn't see anything. I thought it was one great practical joke, and I told them all to knock it off, but they all looked so sincerely shocked and straight-faced that I came to believe them. They swore over and over that they weren't lying or playing a joke. I knew none of them were that good of actors, and they seemed genuinely jumpy and frightened afterwards. When I asked them about it a couple of years later, they started trying to reason out what it was they saw. But that night, my buddies and two of the girls we were staying with all wanted to sleep in the same room. They were really spooked! I thought it was funny, until they all tried to cram into bed with me. Well, I didn't mind the two girls trying, but they seemed genuinely traumatized.

I have several friends that are re-enactors and many have ghost stories about certain battlefields. Antietam and Gettysburg are usually the two battlefields I hear the most stories about. One told me of a similar ghost at Gettysburg. He saw a man in uniform standing off by himself, so went over to talk to whom he thought was a fellow re-enactor. When he said hello and tapped the guy on the shoulder, the man turned around, had no features on his face, and then disappeared. I had another friend who slept in his car one night on South Mountain and swears he saw several soldiers hauling a cannon up the mountain about 2 in the morning. He said nothing to them as they passed his car and then quickly disappeared.

In Falling Waters, West Virginia, near where my parents live, there is an old church and cemetery on one side of a backroad across from what was once an old abandoned house near a creek that served as a hospital during the war. This road supposedly has a ghost that comes out during nights that are foggy, but have a full moon. Several people passing in cars down this road have said that they have seen what looks like a man in Civil War-period clothing walking down the road away from the graveyard. Some have even hit the brakes, thinking that they had hit a person, only to get out and not see a body, but only ghostly handprints on the hoods of their car. My brother and a friend have both had their cars completely die while taking the bend in the road near the hospital (which in the past 10 years or so has been completely renovated).

I currently live in an old stone house in Round Hill, Virginia. The home (or rather the foundation) has been there since before the Civil War. The legend goes that the woman who lived there during the war had two sons, one that fought for the North, and the other for the South. When the Yankees came wanting to burn down the home, she pleaded with them saying she had a son in their army, and she was for the Union all the way. They therefore spared the house. When the Confederates came, she told them she had a son fighting with Lee, and she was all for the Cause, and they spared the home. At night, I have heard strange sounds, even voices, but I usually explain it away because the home is now a duplex, and it could just be my neighbors, but I swear sometimes the voices sound like they are right outside my door! One night it was so loud and distinct that it woke me up from a sound sleep. I popped up in bed and heard what sounded like a fairly loud conversation. My fiance popped up soon after and we both just looked at one another. She prodded me to go take a look. When I opened the door, it was completely silent and stayed that way. I didn't get any sleep the rest of that night.

Sorry this was so long. I do enjoy a good ghost story. I have others, but I've written a book here as it is.
Old 26 Apr 12, 11:26
Recruit
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Remise is a balanced individual [0]
Ghost Stories

Can of worms indeed! I don't have any stories to relate, though I do have a couple of interesting photos (one taken by myself at the Pennsylvania Monument one night). As a reenactor who is permitted to camp on the field following a living history, I will say that I have heard many stories from my pards about things they have seen or heard on various battlefields.

Perhaps they are just as impressionable as everyone else, but most of the guys in my unit are former military, current first responders (fire dept. EMS, state police, SWAT team member), etc., and are not people given to flights of fancy. In my experience of things such as ghosts, most people don't believe in them -- until they encounter one.

All that ever happened to me -- besides the photo I took -- was that one evening, as I was getting out of a friend's car to go back and have dinner in camp, I opened my passenger side door downhill, and the door slammed shut and locked itself. Does that mean I encountered a ghost? Probably not! But we did find it a bit spooky, and later that night at dinner, I heard some great stories from people who, whatever they really saw, absolutely believed they had encountered Civil War soldiers on the field.

I find the ghost tours amusing. If there are any ghosts at all in Gettysburg, most of them reside where the tours are forbidden to go, i.e., on the battlefield. I have twice been accused of being a ghost myself, which I take as a compliment.

B.C. Milligan
Company K, First Pennsylvania Reserves
Old 26 Apr 12, 14:39
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Arthwys is simply cracking [600]
Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600]
Well I've never seen an ACW ghost, I don't think they travel this far north, but I can't not believe in ghosts as I grew up in a house occupied by them.

Our farmhouse was built in 1872 and was originally about an hour and a half ride down to the trading post (This was in Kamloops BC) and the farm had stayed fully functional until the 1950-60s at that point it remained only a horse farm. The house was pure old farm style, river stone and mortar foundation, a built in cold,cellar and huge iron strapped cellar door. The remains of the fireplaces could be seen on the living-room and bathroom walls. They were replaced by a huge ( and I do mean huge!) old oil burning furnace.

I was about 7 when I saw my first ghost in there. In my room, which had a window looking out on the Corral. I woke up it was around two in the morning and saw an old man wearing the same clothes my great-grandfather and his son used to in family photos I'd seen, and he was bouncing a pocket watch against his palm, holding it by the chain just above the stem. it was the slapping sound of this that had woken me I think. He had a severe look on his face. I would have said angry but it wasn't until I screamed that he actually looked angry, as though I had disturbed him! he glanced from the window, down to me, grimaced in I guess displeasure or disgust and then faded.

Well my screaming woke my sister and even my parents who slept in the basement. They thought it was a nightmare until I got really angry with them and refused to go back to sleep in the room that night. My Mom was annoyed with me, but my Dad took me out to the living room and started asking me things like what had I seen, what did the man look like what had he been wearing etc. I slept on the couch with the light on, and didn't see anything else for a couple of years. Dad had looked up the history of the family and discovered I had accurately described a great great uncle who had run the farm in the 20's for a time... As I grew older and learned more family history I would see others from time to time, though none reacted to my presence as the first one had, but since they were all family I wasn't scared of them anymore ( I think being older helped too)

Those are the only ghosts I've seen. I don't go looking for them though.
Old 26 Apr 12, 14:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remise View Post
I find the ghost tours amusing. If there are any ghosts at all in Gettysburg, most of them reside where the tours are forbidden to go, i.e., on the battlefield.
Not to split hairs here, but it is true every step you take in the town of Gettysburg you are on the battlefield. True, the tours are not allowed to go to the top of Cemetery Hill, but you can stand at the base of it and look up without being in violation of park regulations.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!