HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 24 Apr 12, 18:00
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Blake,

It is not half her weight. Try half a full grown Male's weight! That is at least 75 pounds and up!

pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 24 Apr 12, 18:36
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Blake,

It is not half her weight. Try half a full grown Male's weight! That is at least 75 pounds and up!

pruitt
Mine is usually packed between 40-60 pounds. For the Yearly Fitness Tests it must weigh 50lbs, excluding water so most of the time Canadian Soldiers won't get up to the 75 pound mark unless your doing a more specific role, infantry and engineers will probably carry more than an armoured or Support.
Old 24 Apr 12, 19:49
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I see now you are referring to fitness tests. Is this in full combat gear as well? A steel helmet ought to get pretty heavy. I would have been tempted to leave the gas mask back in the barracks. Back in the bod old days (70's) we were expected to do route marches and distance runs in our boots. I bet they allow running shoes these days!

Pruitt

Old 24 Apr 12, 21:46
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I see now you are referring to fitness tests. Is this in full combat gear as well? A steel helmet ought to get pretty heavy. I would have been tempted to leave the gas mask back in the barracks. Back in the bod old days (70's) we were expected to do route marches and distance runs in our boots. I bet they allow running shoes these days!

Pruitt
I haven't done our Fitness test yet but we have started prep for it. It will either just be in our Combats+Rucksack, or in FFO- which would be our helmet tac-vest, gasmask carrier, the ruck and maybe a weapon.

That hasn't changed yet, we still run with our boots, however they are alot more comfy than what you probably had to endure, also we have sock system where we have a nylon sock under our wool. Makes it so your feet don't turn to hamburger AS quickly.
Old 24 Apr 12, 22:41
Major
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Jay217 and other Canadians,

Are there still women infantry officers in Canadian Forces?

If so, how's it working out? Did any see active service in Afghanistan? Do you think standards were lowered?
Old 24 Apr 12, 23:47
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewza View Post
so you mean if there is tank it should either be all male crew or all female crew?
I agree with Golani on this.

Homer

BoRG
Old 25 Apr 12, 02:07
Colonel
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
Jay217 and other Canadians,

Are there still women infantry officers in Canadian Forces?

If so, how's it working out? Did any see active service in Afghanistan? Do you think standards were lowered?
I can not say for certainty as I am still quite Green and I'm With Support/Armoured not Infantry. But i do believe i have heard of several female casualties in Afgahnistan, specifically Captain Nichola Goddard.

However on a somewhat related note i remember i was helping at a Retirement Home and started talking to a woman, she turned out to be part of the 1st group of women who worked within the Canadian Airforce and her daughter was in position to become one of the 1st Female to Captain a Ship in Canada (If Canada had enough ships...)

So in Short They are still serving, and its more than adequate, they see service - some have been killed outside the wire. The Standards of Admittance IS lowered on paper however in practice they are (rightly) treated equally - biggest change is they get their own bathrooms within the wire.
Old 25 Apr 12, 03:07
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay217 View Post
Mine is usually packed between 40-60 pounds.
What? 40 pounds it just about the basic combat loadout (web gear/vest, helmet, 8 magazines, main weapon, 2 grenades, 3L water min. and other basic essentials) and that's excluding armor.

I think the lightest I ever went into 24 hours combat situation is around 65 pounds, often I was pushing closer to 90, I'm not even talking about when I carried the SAW, than I'd easily exceed 50% body weight.
Old 25 Apr 12, 04:53
General
South_Africa

andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200]
I am so glad I am not infantry type I only had to carry a combat (for got the weight ) for 1 week.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 25 Apr 12, 05:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
What? 40 pounds it just about the basic combat loadout (web gear/vest, helmet, 8 magazines, main weapon, 2 grenades, 3L water min. and other basic essentials) and that's excluding armor.

I think the lightest I ever went into 24 hours combat situation is around 65 pounds, often I was pushing closer to 90, I'm not even talking about when I carried the SAW, than I'd easily exceed 50% body weight.
I agree. The last combat kit I wore in the sandbox weighed in at 85 pounds, with water. That didn't count anything else in the daypack, only 210 rounds of ammo, and doesn't count uniform or rifle, just armor and what was attached to it. Adding in the other 180 rounds on my thigh rig, rifle, and assorted gear in the daypack you're looking at closer to 100 pounds. Well, distributed, but 100 pounds. A Female could get off with a little lighter because their helmet, vest, and plates are smaller, but not that much lighter. And I have seen with my own eyes a female Marine do a wonderful cockroach impression after throwing on her daypack while geared-up.

Show me a female that can, while wearing full kit, throw a 160lb soldier (which is the lighter side of average), also wearing full kit (making him closer to 250 pounds plus) on her back and carry them to safety, and I'll say that she's got potential in combat arms.

Lt. Dan, Company XO and sometimes Armored Car commander.
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Apr 12, 08:08
General
South_Africa

andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200] andrewza is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
I agree. The last combat kit I wore in the sandbox weighed in at 85 pounds, with water. That didn't count anything else in the daypack, only 210 rounds of ammo, and doesn't count uniform or rifle, just armor and what was attached to it. Adding in the other 180 rounds on my thigh rig, rifle, and assorted gear in the daypack you're looking at closer to 100 pounds. Well, distributed, but 100 pounds. A Female could get off with a little lighter because their helmet, vest, and plates are smaller, but not that much lighter. And I have seen with my own eyes a female Marine do a wonderful cockroach impression after throwing on her daypack while geared-up.

Show me a female that can, while wearing full kit, throw a 160lb soldier (which is the lighter side of average), also wearing full kit (making him closer to 250 pounds plus) on her back and carry them to safety, and I'll say that she's got potential in combat arms.
I know of a few most are not what you would call girls though, more men who can fall pregnant. There was all so one female during my basics who had it all. Good looks, Smart and fit. She wanted to become a PTI but the navy saw here has a combat officer.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 25 Apr 12, 08:20
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewza View Post
I know of a few most are not what you would call girls though, more men who can fall pregnant. There was all so one female during my basics who had it all. Good looks, Smart and fit. She wanted to become a PTI but the navy saw here has a combat officer.
After she's done what TC described a few times, she is more likely to never be able to become pregnant.

Probably the 2nd most common injury for female combat soldiers in the IDF (after stress fracture) is uterus prolapse, the mere reading of what it is online is enough to discourage me and I'm a man!
Old 26 Apr 12, 00:15
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
andrewza,

You are aware that the Israeli Army uses women to teach tank positions? I am sure these instructors can put on a show at the Front.

Pruitt
It appears to me that this debate is now slowly wending it's way back into that old chestnut about women doing other jobs including infantry, when the original query was women as commando's, was it not? lcm1.............. My apologies no it was not,it was Marine infantry.My mistake must have been due to the fact that in the RM it is the same as training for the commando's. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.

Last edited by lcm1; 26 Apr 12 at 00:23..
Old 26 Apr 12, 00:59
General of the Forums
United_States

Well maybe most of us will agree that as long as they do not compromise on standards, women can go. I don't care if they are hermaphrodites (not sure whose shower these would use!).

Pruitt

Old 26 Apr 12, 05:37
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Well they don't have to carry them. They could just treat them were they land.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ary-Cross.html

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!