HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > The Middle East

Notices and Announcements

The Middle East Asia Minor, the Arab Mahgreb, and the Persian Gulf to include tensions between Israel and its Arab neighbors, Terrorist organizations and Iran.

Old 23 Apr 12, 00:20
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Bwaha has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Egypt scraps Israel gas supply deal...

Egyptian officials say they have scrapped an agreement to supply Israel with natural gas.

Israel received around 40% of its gas supplies from Egypt and uses it to generate electricity.

The announcement comes after the cross-border pipeline suffered numerous sabotage attacks which cut supplies.

Israeli Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz said the move was of "great concern", and overshadowed peace agreements between the countries.

Egypt was the first Middle East country to sign a peace accord with Israel, in 1979, and the deal to supply energy has been a key part of agreements between the two states.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17808954

Youz guys better get drilling on Leviathan oil field...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_gas_field

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Apr 12, 05:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Only a little of what awaits Israel from Egypt. As the muslim fanatics come to have more political power expect more militant action against Israel. Israel will be blamed for everything under the sun, it's easier for the Egyptians to lay blame than to figure out how to run a country.
Old 23 Apr 12, 05:59
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300] Gooner is on a distinguished road [300]
Israel might be sitting on a ton of Shale Oil I notice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15037533
Old 23 Apr 12, 13:05
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
There are 2 major and critical errors in the BBC report (should I act surprised..?)

1. This is not just an "agreement", it's also not just a "key part", it's an article within our peace agreement.
Abolishing it essentially means one sided abolish of the peace treaty.

2. We aren't "given" the gas, we buy it. Well, I guess I should say "bought".
Old 23 Apr 12, 15:54
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200] Glenn239 is walking in the light [200]
Pay market value for the gas and the problem might go away. Or go to someone else and pay market value for their gas instead.
Old 23 Apr 12, 16:18
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
[...]

Youz guys better get drilling on Leviathan oil field...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_gas_field
Development of the Leviathan and other giant natural gas discoveries is well under way. First production from Tamar Field is expected in Q2 2013...

Old 23 Apr 12, 17:32
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Oded,

Does this mean that Israel can take back the Sinai?

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 24 Apr 12, 01:25
Sergeant
Israel

Vector has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Where do I sign up?
Old 24 Apr 12, 01:43
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300] Roddoss72 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Where do I sign up?
A great place for the holiday home perhaps.
Old 24 Apr 12, 01:50
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Oded,

Pruitt
Unfortunately no.

IIRC the U.S vouched for the peace agreement on behalf of both sides, I don't need to tell you Obama wouldn't lift a finger.

The U.N? yeah....

The serious issue here is that Egypt can't (and is not even trying) to contain its sovereignty over Sinai, which in result is ran under pretty much a prehistoric tribal system of governance.
Normally I wouldn't care- but we get the most suffering out of it- modern slavery (both Africans and East European women), drug trafficking, terrorist attacks, rocket launches, etc.

Between Egypt being unable (and/or unwilling) to contain Sinai, them eliminating the peace treaty one article at a time and their constant portray of Israel and the Zionists as the enemies of Egypt- I see no point in burying our heads in the sand, the treaty should be cancelled and all forces should return to October 5th 1973 positions.
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Apr 12, 01:55
Sergeant
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
all forces should return to October 5th 1973 positions.
So...

Where do I sign up?

I'm an engineer, I'll volunteer to be first on the line. We haven't got any fingers left as it is
Old 24 Apr 12, 02:09
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
So...

Where do I sign up?

I'm an engineer, I'll volunteer to be first on the line. We haven't got any fingers left as it is
I have no joy for war, especially against Egypt in Sinai- that's why I wish things could have been resolved in a mature peaceful way, unfortunately it seems like these 2 words don't play a function in middle eastern politics, so I'd say- the sooner the batter, it'll save us many lives.
Old 24 Apr 12, 02:16
Sergeant
Israel

Quote:
I have no joy for war
Would have to agree with that. Sadly, "Middle East" and "peace" can't sit together.

Not to be seen as the local redneck, but "I pray for peace, prepare for war" suits the situation quite fine.

Although, on a military level, I would say we should wait at least a few years. The US stopped some of its support to Egypt; what this could mean for Israel is that Egypt's army will lose much of its strength in years to come (such as, the US-supplied aircraft would get older and wouldn't be maintained as well as they were, etc).
Old 24 Apr 12, 02:25
General of the Forums
Israel

Quote:
Although, on a military level, I would say we should wait at least a few years. The US stopped some of its support to Egypt; what this could mean for Israel is that Egypt's army will lose much of its strength in years to come (such as, the US-supplied aircraft would get older and wouldn't be maintained as well as they were, etc).
I can see 2 flows in this plan:

1. The longer the waiting period is- the new situation would turn into the new status quo. Right now this is a casus belli. Military operations aren't conducted in a void and they have imperative connection to the political situation.

2. The future is hard to predict, especially under these circumstances, what if the Muslim Brotherhood would be to Egypt what Hamas was to Gaza? There are great chances the 2 would ally and than you can throw Hezbollah into the mix as well, needless to say Iran will spread it's wings over the new "Islamic Republic of Egypt" and we'd be in knee deep sh*t.
Old 24 Apr 12, 02:27
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I have no joy for war, especially against Egypt in Sinai- that's why I wish things could have been resolved in a mature peaceful way, unfortunately it seems like these 2 words don't play a function in middle eastern politics, so I'd say- the sooner the batter, it'll save us many lives.
I suppose that's what you would call a Catch-22 situation.

Israel could leave the treaty in place and allow Egyptian sovereign over the Sinai, with hopes that cooler heads will prevail and Egypt will become a liberal democracy with peaceful relations. This is naive at best and utterly disastrous at worst. Mubarak may have been a brutal bastard but at least he left Israel in relative peace, lest he risk those ties with the U.S. Now it looks like a islamofascist regime has risen in Egypt, and we all know those fellas ain't too keen on Jews.

Or Israel could go to war with Egypt over the Sinai peninsula. The Egyptian Army may not be able to match the IDF but they're much better equipped, not to mention the Egyptian's have Abrams (another incentive to Mubarak, although I have no wish for an Abrams v Merkeva debate). Taking into account not just any casualties in the initial outbreak of fighting, I suppose there would also be the problem of Israel having to maintain a border right next to mainland Egypt, a hostile country, which puts IDF troops in danger unless they're willing to march onto Cairo, and then they'll still be in danger from insurgents. Not to mention the utter villifying they'll take from the U.N. and the world media (nothing new of course).

So...which option is worse?

-- Christopher Hitchens

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!