HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 22 Aug 11, 14:54
Brigadier General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
Is this a typo and should read micro?

What does it mean?

If this implies that the game will have more focus on "warfare" level then the techno-tactic level I'll be disappointed.

That's a must and was called for since ARMA 1.
I'm not that sure either.

I also hope it doesn't mean the warfare game mode.

Micro AI was the system they introduced in Arma 2 to allow the AI to move with CM rather than metre precision so they could move around buildings more effectively and use and fire from cover.

Probably wishful thinking, but it could be a hint towards a chain of command AI? For example, in Arma 2, you can use the high command module on enemy AI to create an enemy platoon. The problem is that the AI, at least I think they don't, coordinate their actions. So macro may be a system where the AI platoon commander assesses the situation and attacks, defends or retreats.

Quote:
It could slide with OFP, CQB sucked then, but most battles were in open areas or very small villages.

ARMA and forward focus a lot on FIBUA/MOUT (which is in correlation with current events and updated doctrine...) but it's quite a strain.
Or FISH - Fighting In Someone Else's House.

Aye, improvement in this area is badly needed, especially now that most buildings in the villages of Lemnos can be entered.

Just imagine ordering an AI fire team to stack up, storm and then clear a building.

The scripting would be pretty complex so it's probably wishful thinking.

Quote:
I see they are borrowing some from ACE, no shame in that.
Yeah, and I hope they borrow more. Couple things from ACE off the top of my head being able to rest weapons on surfaces and deploy bipods and having those different grenade throwing modes.

I would also love it if they implemented the Mando Missile addon. Having more realistic AAA systems, missile systems and far more realistic aircraft would be great.

Oh, and the implementation of radios. If you don't have the proper radio then no air support for your platoon.

Oh, and bayonets, because, why not?

Forgot to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bisimmedia

It's the BIS Sim YouTube channel. This is where they post VBS2 videos demonstrating its latest features. Can sometimes indicate what will be in their next Arma.
Old 22 Aug 11, 15:50
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
Micro AI was the system they introduced in Arma 2 to allow the AI to move with CM rather than metre precision so they could move around buildings more effectively and use and fire from cover.

Probably wishful thinking, but it could be a hint towards a chain of command AI? For example, in Arma 2, you can use the high command module on enemy AI to create an enemy platoon. The problem is that the AI, at least I think they don't, coordinate their actions. So macro may be a system where the AI platoon commander assesses the situation and attacks, defends or retreats.
Sounds good, but before they tackle the high stuff they should perfect the small things, like personal movement.

Enemy AI movement is usually...random for lack of a better word.

They zig-zag sharply, change stances, running directions, facing, etc.
Quote:
Or FISH - Fighting In Someone Else's House.
LOL, I'm writing this one down
Quote:
Just imagine ordering an AI fire team to stack up, storm and then clear a building.

The scripting would be pretty complex so it's probably wishful thinking.
Not even, but with today's game you can't properly clear a room...it just feels awkward.

Whilst AI did improve to be able to fire from around corners, they can't fire from windows (they automatically duck) or from, say, trenches....
Quote:
Yeah, and I hope they borrow more. Couple things from ACE off the top of my head being able to rest weapons on surfaces and deploy bipods and having those different grenade throwing modes.
I can live without the different throwing modes, but resting and bipods is freaking basic my mind is blown from thinking why BIS overlooked it.

Everything is so accurately modeled to the letter, how can you miss the bipods?!

Besides, I hate being unable to return fire just because I was shot in the hands...
Quote:
I would also love it if they implemented the Mando Missile addon. Having more realistic AAA systems, missile systems and far more realistic aircraft would be great.
Probably not, it seems like naval warfare is going to get the focus, at least over air...
[quote
Forgot to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bisimmedia

It's the BIS Sim YouTube channel. This is where they post VBS2 videos demonstrating its latest features. Can sometimes indicate what will be in their next Arma.[/QUOTE]
Or just to have us drool....
Old 09 Sep 11, 10:36
Brigadier General
Scotland

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
http://www.arma3.com/

The official website has been updated with some new information, screenshots and a commentary video. Check out the Intel section since that has most information. Iran will be the main enemy, although presumably part of some larger alliance, since NATO has been pushed out of the Mediterranean. Turkey has either fallen as part of NATO or Allied to 'The East'.

Some of the more interesting bits:

Col. Vahid Namdar

Military commander of Limnos
Colonel Namdar, a career officer of the Iranian Armed Forces in his forties, is Supreme Military Commander of the Limnos task force. During his youth, he took part in The Lions Movement, joined the army and became an airborne officer; he led one of the Nationalist commandos in the Esfahan Coup d’état in 2024. His military record encompasses the Iranian campaign in Europe. In the First Battle of Brno, his airborne regiment assisted in the breakthrough in the NATO defenses. In 2030, he became a staff officer on an unidentified post in the European Theater Command in Izmir. His transfer to Limnos suggests an ongoing important military operation or facility development. According to several sources, Colonel Namdar lately became a subordinate of General Ostad Javeed Attar, one of the chief officers of the Iranian military research and arms production.
Note: General Ostad (title for academics, adopted by NI) Javeed Attar – research director, P8H8 during opposition, Red Pegasus

Golani, any of the Iranian stuff ring any bells?

Iran

The presence of Iranian troops is estimated to consist of a battalion-sized combined fighting force with conventional capabilities. The highest concentration of forces is estimated in a newly constructed base adjacent to a former NATO/Greek air force base (ICAO: LGLM) and objective Omega. Majority of the force is designated to a base perimeter protection and counter-insurgency campaign to fend off the threat of the local resistance movement. There are also indications that base security may be partially provided by Russian-based private military company.
The equipment and order of battle of the Iranian troops is reportedly compliant with the common Resource Zone Protection Force structure, including the enhanced defensive, ELINT and SIGINT capabilities. Due to the proximity of the Turkish coast, we estimate the force to be fairly well supplied.

Old 09 Sep 11, 15:23
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100] Golani is a pillar of the community [1100]
I can't praise it anymore, so I'm just gonna say- I want to work for BIS.

If any of you BIS guys are reading this, hire me! I'll quite my job for you and it's a damn good one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
The official website has been updated with some new information, screenshots and a commentary video. Check out the Intel section since that has most information. Iran will be the main enemy, although presumably part of some larger alliance, since NATO has been pushed out of the Mediterranean. Turkey has either fallen as part of NATO or Allied to 'The East'.
The story just seems more mysterious and complex now...I can't wait to see how they tie it.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem given that the main characters are still infants, but still curious.
Quote:
Golani, any of the Iranian stuff ring any bells?
Such as what?

No gear/actual events are mentioned.
Old 09 Sep 11, 18:49
Brigadier General
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golani View Post
I can't praise it anymore, so I'm just gonna say- I want to work for BIS.

If any of you BIS guys are reading this, hire me! I'll quite my job for you and it's a damn good one...

The story just seems more mysterious and complex now...I can't wait to see how they tie it.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem given that the main characters are still infants, but still curious.

Such as what?

No gear/actual events are mentioned.
I was wondering about 'The Lions Movement', if it was an actual group? A brief Google search brought me to a nationalist site with one of its aims being the replacement of the current Iranian flag to one with a Lion on it.

The A3 site mentions a coup in Isfahan. Is that an important city in Iran?

And does Iran (currently) have an airborne capability?

This new enemy is intriguing. BIS seem to have put a lot of effort into the story. From the info BIS have given out it sounds like there was an ultra-nationalist (military?) coup in Iran which put a lot of emphasis on military expansion and became part of a NATO style 'Eastern' alliance which probably has a single nation (China?) at the helm.
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Dec 11, 12:14
Brigadier General
Scotland

Old 23 Apr 12, 13:16
Brigadier General
Scotland

Old 24 May 12, 17:32
Brigadier General
Scotland

Old 26 May 12, 14:13
General of the Forums
Israel

Looks absolutely amazing!

I love how, in spite the fact that they are probably the most hardcore game out there, they still don't take themselves too seriously...."Elite Tier 1 Operative"....ha ha.
Old 01 Jun 12, 13:13
Brigadier General
Scotland

Old 01 Jun 12, 14:23
General of the Forums
Israel

I'm so flunking out next year....

As always, I'm more into infantry and the new stances look incredible and were always missing in the game, however, I do hope it'll make the game flow more and not become even more bulky.

The island looks amazing (and very similar to my home terrain ) but it looks like instead of tackling the MOUT\FIBUA issues this game always had, they went with scratching it out completely...which is a major shame for me and in all.
Urbanization and urban fighting IS the future and it's a shame the best tactical simulator out there isn't able to provide it.
Old 07 Jun 12, 06:04
Brigadier General
Scotland

Great 15 min demonstration of Arma 3 here.
Old 08 Jun 12, 15:53
Brigadier General
Scotland

Great quality video.
Old 10 Jun 12, 20:03
Sergeant Major
UK

calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99] calger14 is on the path to success [1-99]
Looks good! Just started playing Arma II a lot more. Mainly on DayZ at the moment.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!