HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Apr 12, 00:10
Private First Class
New_Zealand

Grunter is a balanced individual [0]
[QUOTE=American87;2225563]

Further, it took him 4 days to ride about 30 miles. Plus, instead of watching Ewell's right, he maneuvered himself so the AOP would be between Ewell and himself.

QUOTE]

I am a novice here but eager to learn. Why did Stuart "maneuver himself so the AOP would be between Ewell & himself"' And where did this occur?
Old 23 Apr 12, 08:00
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
[QUOTE=Grunter;2225583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American87 View Post

Further, it took him 4 days to ride about 30 miles. Plus, instead of watching Ewell's right, he maneuvered himself so the AOP would be between Ewell and himself.

QUOTE]

I am a novice here but eager to learn. Why did Stuart "maneuver himself so the AOP would be between Ewell & himself"' And where did this occur?
He didn't. That's utter nonsense spouted by someone who has no clue about which he speaks. Ignore anything this person says.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 23 Apr 12, 12:28
Gunnery Sergeant
Finland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

suntzu is on the path to success [1-99]
To me it seems the Ewell what if debate is a little strange. If Jackson had been there he likely would have proposed to take Meade in the rear. (That also seems to be what Meade feared most about the fishhook position, if one is to believe his own words.)
Old 23 Apr 12, 12:40
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
To me it seems the Ewell what if debate is a little strange. If Jackson had been there he likely would have proposed to take Meade in the rear. (That also seems to be what Meade feared most about the fishhook position, if one is to believe his own words.)
Longstreet wanted to do that, go around Little Round Top but Lee was against it.

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 23 Apr 12, 13:05
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
In Lee's orders, he says it's up to Stuart to decide if he meets with "hindrance". Stuart acted as if there was no hindrance...but he had 3 Cavalry Brigades against an infantry Corps, and as far as he knew, an army.

He had his mind set on going on a raid, and would do it even if it meant something as absurd as treating an Army as a non-hindrance.

Not once before did Lee permit Stuart so liberal a raid while on campaign, and there was nothing in Lee's orders that even hints it would be OK for Stuart to do so.
Your post reveals that you know nothing of the unforeseen circumstances of the ride. Again, read Plenty Of Blame... and you will be enlightened. Or, you can continue to wallow in the dark about the events as they actually occurred.

Old 23 Apr 12, 13:09
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
Longstreet wanted to do that, go around Little Round Top but Lee was against it.
Actually, Longstreet wanted to do a full strategic swing around the whole AotP and avoid fighting there at all, if possible. Once the Sixth Corps got there, the rear of LRT was secure. Also, the arty reserve brigade was in the area. Going around LRT was Hood's brainchild, but it was fraught with danger. I think that both Longstreet and Lee realized that and balked at the idea.
Old 23 Apr 12, 13:23
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDeFranco View Post
Your post reveals that you know nothing of the unforeseen circumstances of the ride. Again, read Plenty Of Blame... and you will be enlightened. Or, you can continue to wallow in the dark about the events as they actually occurred.
Tom, not to short-cut your advice to someone like him/her, I am not sure your advice will work!

Old 23 Apr 12, 13:28
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Tom, not to short-cut your advice to someone like him/her, I am not sure your advice will work!
I'm not blue in the face, yet. I am getting there, though.
Old 23 Apr 12, 13:58
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:

you try not to split your forces in the face of the enemy..
keeping in mind the Union outnumbered the ANV
that would probably be the best reason for not doing the flanking movement
Old 23 Apr 12, 13:59
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
I'm not blue in the face, yet. I am getting there, though.
Especially for arguing with someone who abstains from "Modern History" i.e., not written through the lens of the Lost Cause.

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana
Old 23 Apr 12, 15:51
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KICK View Post
you try not to split your forces in the face of the enemy..
keeping in mind the Union outnumbered the ANV
that would probably be the best reason for not doing the flanking movement
Also, Hood would be out of the view of both Longstreet and Lee.
Old 23 Apr 12, 15:52
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
Especially for arguing with someone who abstains from "Modern History" i.e., not written through the lens of the Lost Cause.
You think there might be an Early in the woodpile somewhere?
Old 23 Apr 12, 16:42
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
You think there might be an Early in the woodpile somewhere?
You mean "the bad old man"?

Old 23 Apr 12, 16:48
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
You mean "the bad old man"?
With his falsetto voice, I don't think he could be that bad.

If you look at his photo, he has an almost teddy bear looking quality like Bragg.

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana
Old 23 Apr 12, 21:14
Major
United_States

American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
[QUOTE=Grunter;2225583]
Quote:

QUOTE]

In the map, Stuart's Cavalry is the dashed red line.

The general belief of why he went on the raid was to redeem his reputation after he was surprised by Union Cavalry in the Battle of Brandy Station. Going on a raid while conducting any Campaign, let alone an offensive one, was unprecedented in the ANV. I'm inclined to believe he just haaad to do it to restore his reputation, as it fits in with his personality, and there was no benefit to be gained for the army in doing it.

The raid was a good one, as they always were, and Stuart is one of my favorite Generals of the war, but when you compare the records and maps, it's plain to see that he disobeyed orders.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!