HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II

Notices and Announcements

Armor in World War II Discuss all aspects & disciplines of World War II Armor here.

Old 18 Apr 12, 08:24
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) SPQR Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Now this tank always grabs my attention.

Old 18 Apr 12, 08:58
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung Baby View Post

"America, seeing how well 'Bigger is Better' worked for the Germans, decides to follow suite."
Old 18 Apr 12, 22:39
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post

Ah, but the Grant is still one hell of a great tank, don't you think? Has a presence all it's own.
Gets my vote.
The word you are looking for in regards to the Grant is,...

..., sexy.

There are no other words that fit.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.
Old 19 Apr 12, 14:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
[QUOTE=Achtung Baby;2222656]Now this tank always grabs my attention.

That must be the super-Pershing, the one they up-armored with plates torn off German tanks.
Looks awful... what is that on the turret, smoke-bombs?

Old 19 Apr 12, 18:16
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
Looks awful... what is that on the turret, smoke-bombs?
Those would be hydraulic cylinders.

Old 19 Apr 12, 19:31
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200]
Actually they were the equilibrator springs that were required to help with the heavy barrel of the 90 mm gun T15E1. The springs were enclosed in protective cylinders by the time the tank was sent to Europe.
Old 20 Apr 12, 03:40
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:

that thing is hung like a horse. kind of...
Old 22 Apr 12, 01:09
Private
Scotland

Briffyboy is on the path to success [1-99]
I like the look of the Sherman Firefly with that big 17 Pdr Gun.
Old 22 Apr 12, 16:52
Staff Sergeant
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Long Lance is on the path to success [1-99] Long Lance is on the path to success [1-99]
Wow. Start whistling!

Quote:

Yep. After rwo days thinking of it. Wow! maybe not "the most aesthetically pleasing tank" but seeing that creeping at me I'd be raising my hands and whistling the star spangled banner!

But some sort of psychological quirk tells that it had some serious thickness of frontal armour. Start whistling!
Old 22 Apr 12, 18:03
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Lance View Post
Yep. After rwo days thinking of it. Wow! maybe not "the most aesthetically pleasing tank" but seeing that creeping at me I'd be raising my hands and whistling the star spangled banner!

But some sort of psychological quirk tells that it had some serious thickness of frontal armour. Start whistling!
Seeing this
I would think the same. Also the whole footage can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUnMhD2qTY But I'd try hard to ignore the music with it.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7
Old 29 Apr 12, 16:39
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

You know you've done a good job of adding applique armour when the front torsion bars are sagging!

Well, as already noted, the Panther Ausf. G is excellent, especially with the larger mantlet:

I also like the steel road wheels on Tiger & Panther.

Then there's the IS-2/3:

The M26 Pershing is another variant, preferably with the double-baffle muzzle brake:

Or the M46 with Tiger paint:

Stretching a bit, but the M47 looks nice too, especially with the exposed mantlet:
Old 01 May 12, 16:50
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I always liked the looks of this.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7
Old 02 May 12, 12:48
Sergeant Major
Canada
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Mil_dude is on the path to success [1-99] Mil_dude is on the path to success [1-99]
There's something wrong with people who find tanks attractive.

My favorite is the Crusader III
Old 02 May 12, 17:40
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil_dude View Post

Yeah. We got an awful lot of sick people around here!
Old 02 May 12, 17:50
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99] Cougar1 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil_dude View Post

Yeah. We got an awful lot of sick people around here!

Considering there'sthings like this...

Last edited by Cougar1; 02 May 12 at 18:06..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!