HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 21 Apr 12, 14:08
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Carrying The War To The Enemy

"Carrying the War to the Enemy, American Operational Art to 1945," presented by Dr. Michael Matheny to the US Army War College.

Its a thought-provoking and informative lecture. While I disagree with some of what he says (particularly since I have an extremely limited view on the existence and applicability of the operational level of war), nonetheless, its worth the time to listen if you're interested in the topic of how and why the US armed forces fought WWII the way they did.

Enjoy.

Last edited by The Ibis; 21 Apr 12 at 14:23..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Apr 12, 22:01
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post
"Carrying the War to the Enemy, American Operational Art to 1945," presented by Dr. Michael Matheny to the US Army War College.

Its a thought-provoking and informative lecture. While I disagree with some of what he says (particularly since I have an extremely limited view on the existence and applicability of the operational level of war), nonetheless, its worth the time to listen if you're interested in the topic of how and why the US armed forces fought WWII the way they did.

Enjoy.
A nation that attempts to carry out its desires with brute force can only be taught the error of their ways by having the force they have dealt out to others returned to them two/fold,and that is what happened. Not only by the Americans but by her allies as well. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
Old 21 Apr 12, 22:59
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
A nation that attempts to carry out its desires with brute force can only be taught the error of their ways by having the force they have dealt out to others returned to them two/fold,and that is what happened. Not only by the Americans but by her allies as well. lcm1
That is not what the speaker endeavors to cover. Instead, he attempts to explain how - at a theoretical level - the Americans fought the war and posits that the Americans consciously, if not expressly, were utilizing the so-called operational level of war. The "why" is not the motives of the Americans to fight, but rather, the the theory undergirding the US military's decisionmaking.
Old 22 Apr 12, 10:14
Australia

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
That is not what the speaker endeavors to cover. Instead, he attempts to explain how - at a theoretical level - the Americans fought the war and posits that the Americans consciously, if not expressly, were utilizing the so-called operational level of war. The "why" is not the motives of the Americans to fight, but rather, the the theory undergirding the US military's decisionmaking.
Very 'Airy Fairy' my friend but when you boil it down to the nitty gritty,what happens is what counts.It is the end of the line that is the deciding factor and what I said originally is what happened and what is wrong with fighting for a 'why'? 'Why' played a very important part in that little fracus I can assure you,it drove us on long before the Americans actually came into the fight and when they did it was another 'why' to keep going. For you to say that (quote) The "why" is not the motives of the Americans to fight, puts you into the position of needing to be corrected not myself,because you could not be more wrong!! lcm1

Old 22 Apr 12, 11:30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200]
Ibis is saying that the video is not about the motives of the war. Have you bothered to watch it?
Old 22 Apr 12, 11:32
General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Very 'Airy Fairy' my friend but when you boil it down to the nitty gritty,what happens is what counts.It is the end of the line that is the deciding factor and what I said originally is what happened and what is wrong with fighting for a 'why'? 'Why' played a very important part in that little fracus I can assure you,it drove us on long before the Americans actually came into the fight and when they did it was another 'why' to keep going. For you to say that (quote) The "why" is not the motives of the Americans to fight, puts you into the position of needing to be corrected not myself,because you could not be more wrong!! lcm1
lcm1, The Ibis is only saying that the "why" is not covered in the presentation. It's a briefing on the level of warfare between strategic and tactical. He's not opining on the moral factors.
Old 22 Apr 12, 12:35
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500]
lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500]
Great post! Very interesting - I thought I'd post some links to some things mentioned in the talk.

Link to wikipedia article on "five paragraph order"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_paragraph_order

Links to Wikipedia articles on War Plan Orange and on the other plans. I found interesting how much of the plan was developed through the Army War College (not Naval War College) exercises
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Orange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...oded_war_plans

I found interesting also when he mentioned how Eisenhower and Nimitz both turned down much higher paying jobs in the Inter-war years - Eisenhower for (I think) triple his salary and Nimitz, who was a diesel engine expert, turned down a $40,000 a year job when making $3,300 -WOW!

Also an interesting point when he mentioned that Submarines are like air power, in that they can affect tactical, operational, and strategic levels of war.

Wikipedia article on The Battle of Okinawa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa

Last edited by lakechampainer; 22 Apr 12 at 12:57..
Old 22 Apr 12, 13:09
United_States

Quote:

lcm1, I described the subject of a presentation and didn't comment on anything else. Although no one would deny the importance of the motives you are talking about (I didn't, so I have no idea what I'm wrong about), that is not the subject of professor's presentation. I think these forums are big enough to discuss subjects in addition to those you apparently find important enough to merit study, even "airy fairy" ones.

Last edited by The Ibis; 22 Apr 12 at 13:15..
Old 22 Apr 12, 22:21
Australia

Quote:
lcm1, I described the subject of a presentation and didn't comment on anything else. Although no one would deny the importance of the motives you are talking about (I didn't, so I have no idea what I'm wrong about), that is not the subject of professor's presentation. I think these forums are big enough to discuss subjects in addition to those you apparently find important enough to merit study, even "airy fairy" ones.
Oooo, 'La Di Da'!!!!! lcm1

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!