HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 16 Apr 12, 09:54
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400]
Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400] Jon Jordan has a spectacular aura about [400]
Biographies of Robert E. Lee

Have there been any good bios of R.E. Lee in the last ten or so years? And what is the "current view" of Lee - was he a flawed and overrated engineer, or a virtuous military genius (or has anyone taken a middle ground)?

Thanks,
Jon

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Apr 12, 13:03
Captain
United_States

cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post
Have there been any good bios of R.E. Lee in the last ten or so years? And what is the "current view" of Lee - was he a flawed and overrated engineer, or a virtuous military genius (or has anyone taken a middle ground)?

Thanks,
Jon
Jon,

There has not been a good "traditional" biography written of Lee. The Emory Thomas biography of Lee which appeared in the mid 90s is disappointing. There have been some good specialized studies of Lee though.

Edit: In my opinion the last great traditional biography was D.S. Freeman's 4 volume biography. It was well researched, written and exhaustive. However, Freeman's Lee did very little wrong and the book lacks balance (understandable to a certain degree considering the times and Freeman's background).

Last edited by cici; 16 Apr 12 at 13:32..
Old 16 Apr 12, 13:24
Lance Corporal
Pirate

broker is on the path to success [1-99] broker is on the path to success [1-99]
Some scholars seem to think that since Lee has been written about so much that little is untouched with regards to new material. An older publication may suit your needs just fine. I found a free copy of Lee and Grant which is a dual biography and found it to be a good read. Good luck on your quest, you've picked an interesting subject.
Old 16 Apr 12, 13:41
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
are exhaustive biographies exhausting?
Old 16 Apr 12, 13:49
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICK View Post
I don't know, Mike, but some of the people who insist on beating dead horses or who spout nonsense trying to sound like they know what they're talking about certainly are.....

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 16 Apr 12, 13:51
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
I don't know, Mike, but some of the people who insist on beating dead horses or who spout nonsense trying to sound like they know what they're talking about certainly are.....
Amen, my friend. Amen!!

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 16 Apr 12, 14:34
Captain
United_States

cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Only if you are out of shape.
Old 16 Apr 12, 14:36
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Eric,

Was someone beating a dead horse here?
Old 16 Apr 12, 15:04
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici View Post
Eric,

Was someone beating a dead horse here?
In this thread? No. But we certainly get plenty of that going on elsewhere. And it grows very wearisome.

Fear not. I was not referring to you.

Old 17 Apr 12, 13:02
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:

Eric, since I'm not trying to sound like I know what I am talking about
who would you be referring to?

I'm in over my head on this forum and I freely admit it..
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Apr 12, 14:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Eric, since I'm not trying to sound like I know what I am talking about
who would you be referring to?

I'm in over my head on this forum and I freely admit it..
Be assured that you were not whom I had in mind when I wrote that, Mike.

Old 17 Apr 12, 14:26
General of the Forums
Pirate

OK..... RE Lee.... Famous son from a famous American family who picked the wrong side..
Old 17 Apr 12, 14:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
I have some biographies of Lee, but nothing recent to make a recommendation on. In the realm of speculation it would have been, at the very least, incredibly interesting to see what he would have said in an autobiography.

It would definitely have rivaled Grant's at a bare minimum.

Best regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!