HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 15 Apr 12, 23:15
Recruit
United_States

AlwaysAardvarks is on the path to success [1-99]
"I hope to God this is good ground."

Hello all,
I'm assisting a friend with the beginnings of a book, and he's asked me to help him find out what is meant by different types of ground as referred to by ACW era commanders. I recall in the film Gettysburg both Buford and Reynolds hope for "good ground". While I understand basic terrain fundamentals, my friend has found mention of "9 specific types" of ground. Perhaps this was part of pre-war West Point curricula, but I'm unable to find a definition as yet of any "9 specific types". Can any of you point me in the right direction, or even provide an answer to my question?

Please don't tell me "Google is your friend." We broke up last week, and I'm still not ready to talk about it.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Apr 12, 08:23
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAardvarks View Post
Hello all,
I'm assisting a friend with the beginnings of a book, and he's asked me to help him find out what is meant by different types of ground as referred to by ACW era commanders. I recall in the film Gettysburg both Buford and Reynolds hope for "good ground". While I understand basic terrain fundamentals, my friend has found mention of "9 specific types" of ground. Perhaps this was part of pre-war West Point curricula, but I'm unable to find a definition as yet of any "9 specific types". Can any of you point me in the right direction, or even provide an answer to my question?

Please don't tell me "Google is your friend." We broke up last week, and I'm still not ready to talk about it.
I guess I should say Welcome to the forum, seeing as how I am the first here.

I believe the "good ground" statement is just a different meaning of hoping victory where they are going to fight. A good place for people. A good place for action etc.

I assure you that is just my opinion and mine alone. There will be others by that may have a differing view.

Marshall

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 16 Apr 12, 11:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
Good as in a strong tactical position. A place where you can launch an attack or defend with a high degree of success depending on the situation. The Fishhook and stone wall at Marye's Heights are two examples of same.

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 23 Apr 12, 06:53
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Buford et al saw the advantages of the high ground at Gettysburg, so the Yankees concentrated there rather than falling back to the Pipe Creek line. Jackson used the railroad cut at Manassas to conceal his troops in August 1862. The Union failure to occupy the heights around Harper's Ferry led to the the capture of the garrison in Sept. 1862.

The "not so good'--forest and undergrowth--- ground at Chickamauga and The Wilderness led to confusion and surprises on both sides.
Old 23 Apr 12, 14:00
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grognard View Post
Buford et al saw the advantages of the high ground at Gettysburg, so the Yankees concentrated there rather than falling back to the Pipe Creek line. Jackson used the railroad cut at Manassas to conceal his troops in August 1862. The Union failure to occupy the heights around Harper's Ferry led to the the capture of the garrison in Sept. 1862.

The "not so good'--forest and undergrowth--- ground at Chickamauga and The Wilderness led to confusion and surprises on both sides.

sounds like the title of a movie..

wait, it is..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!