HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 14 Apr 12, 00:10
Recruit
United_States

mlschiff is a balanced individual [0]
5th & 3rd fleets WW2

hello,

I am trying to find out if the 3rd and 5th fleets were separate entities,
or [as I have read] the same physical fleet renamed back and forth for
operational reasons.

ThankS
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Apr 12, 01:34
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The same ships were generally the meat of both, and designated 3rd Fleet when Halsey was in operational command & 5th Fleet when Spruance took operational command. The Staffs of Halsey & Spuance remained either 3rd or 5th Fleet, though. Not a bad general overview:
Welcome Aboard, Mate!

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 14 Apr 12, 13:42
Recruit
United_States

mlschiff is a balanced individual [0]
thank you,

i saw this once, but was unable to confirm
Old 22 Apr 12, 13:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschiff View Post
hello,

operational reasons.

ThankS
I am not sure about Third Fleet, but the only difference between Seventh Fleet and Fifth Fleet was whoever happened to be in chard at the time; see Admiral's post. Other than that it was simply an exercise to keep the Japanese off balance during WWII.
Old 23 Apr 12, 06:56
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100] grognard has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
I am not sure about Third Fleet, but the only difference between Seventh Fleet and Fifth Fleet was whoever happened to be in chard at the time; see Admiral's post. Other than that it was simply an exercise to keep the Japanese off balance during WWII.
As admiral said, it's third and fifth, not fifth and seventh.
Old 25 Apr 12, 00:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschiff View Post
hello,

operational reasons.

ThankS
The third fleet and fifth fleet are one in the same essentially. What happens is the number changes when you move from the SWPA (Halsey) to the Pacific Theater (Spruance) or back.....

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!