HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider.

Old 13 Apr 12, 11:48
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Which Hornblower Character are you?

Seems i am Hornblower...but i put that down to watching the series too many times

▷ ▶ Which Horatio Hornblower character are you? SelectSmart.com free Television personality test, selector quiz, matching, choose, compare.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Apr 12, 15:03
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Pellew, Hornblower, Bush, in that order.

Sincerely,
M

'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.'

'The best revenge is not to do as they do.'
-Marcus Aurelius
Old 13 Apr 12, 16:15
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Pellew, Hornblower, Bush, in that order.

Sincerely,
M
Somehow I just knew that Marshal M would be that grumpy old curmudgeon Pellew!

I'm a tad surprised that an undisciplined tosspot like me gleaned...

Sir Edward Pellew

epellew.jpg
Old 13 Apr 12, 16:36
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700] Massena is a glorious beacon of light [700]
VR,

That's scary-we both scored the same character.

Sincerely,
M

-Marcus Aurelius
Old 13 Apr 12, 16:56
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300]
Hornblower.
Old 13 Apr 12, 17:03
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100] Sparlingo has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hornblower is who I strive to be, comming up short. My dad gave me "Midshipman Hornblower" when I was 13, and I instantly felt empathy with that character. I couldn't be a Bush to Hornblower, it isn't me.

Here's a list of positive characters, off the top of my head:

1 - Hornblower
2- Pellew
3- Cornwallis
4- Bracegirdle
5- Bush
6- Gerard
7- Brown
8- The Count
9- Welland
10- Boland
11- Sharpe
12- Barbara
13- Maria
Old 13 Apr 12, 17:08
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900] Von Richter has earned the respect of all [900]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
VR,

That's scary-we both scored the same character.

Sincerely,
M
'Ti's a tad disconcerting, considering your penchant for backing losers... innit!!!???

wgl191910.jpg

Old 13 Apr 12, 17:16
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300]
http://www.scaryfangirl.com/ships.htm

Some Hornblower data.
Old 13 Apr 12, 19:50
General of the Forums
United_States

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
Mine was 1.Hornblower 2. Pellew also.
I have the same issues Mickey,I have all the DVD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparlingo View Post
Hornblower is who I strive to be, comming up short. My dad gave me "Midshipman Hornblower" when I was 13, and I instantly felt empathy with that character. I couldn't be a Bush to Hornblower, it isn't me.

Here's a list of positive characters, off the top of my head:

1 - Hornblower
2- Pellew
3- Cornwallis
4- Bracegirdle
5- Bush
6- Gerard
7- Brown
8- The Count
9- Welland
10- Boland
11- Sharpe
12- Barbara
13- Maria
Old 13 Apr 12, 21:28
Major General
Australia

BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300]
Of all the principal characters, in the TV series, Sir Edward Pellew -later Lord Exmouth- is the only real one.

And doesn't Robert Lindsay do an excellent portrayal. ?

C.S.Forrester set the bar for an entire genre of Napoleonic War naval writers.
"History haunts even generations who refuse to (acknowledge it). Rhythms,patterns,continuities,drift out of long time forgotten to mould the present and to colour the shape of things to come". Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Apr 12, 21:33
General of the Forums
United_States

He did an excellent job,as did Gruffudd. I missed Archie when he died. I thought he was good.
Old 14 Apr 12, 02:21
General of the Forums
United_States

I still have a penchant for the older movie 'Captain Horation Hornblower' with Gregory Peck-it was just on again-great movie.

Sincerely,
M

-Marcus Aurelius
Old 14 Apr 12, 02:44
ACG Forums - Legatus Janitorus
Pirate
March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Distinguished Service Award Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have no idear what this means...
Quote:
Matthews (100%)
Sir Edward Pellew (100%)
Kitty Cobham (88%)
William Bush (88%)
Styles (75%)
Archie Kennedy (63%)
Horatio Hornblower (63%)
Jack Simpson (25%)
Marquis de Moncoutant (25%)
Mickie, Von, hep me out here woodja?

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 14 Apr 12 at 02:49..
Old 14 Apr 12, 03:52
Major General
Australia

BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300]
I'd forgotten the distaff side.

There was the Duchess of Wharfedale (Cherie Lunghi), even mother-in-Law Mrs Mason (Barbara Flynn) and wife, Maria (Julia Sawalha): -fine wenches all.

It will be noted that the last two were portrayed in the TV series as far more attractive than their originals in the C.S.Forrester novels.
"History haunts even generations who refuse to (acknowledge it). Rhythms,patterns,continuities,drift out of long time forgotten to mould the present and to colour the shape of things to come". Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Old 14 Apr 12, 05:48
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Edward Pellow (100%), Archie Kennedy (89%) and then Hornblower (84%).

The only other high scorers were Styles and Bush on 73%.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!